Costs in Thailand bordering US/Japan. Belive it.

Mencken

Just returned from Japan with another two couples. Two white guys, four Thai nationals.

All were in agreement that Japan was essentially the same price and better value than Thailand.

Edited: Room costs,

Very simple Japanese rooms, share toilet Osaka- b850

Decent low end room, toilet, fridge Kyoto (deal) - b1750

Costs for rentals, below.

Japanese fast food breakfast - b120

Sushi lunch (10plates/20pcs) - b350

Standard lunch - b150-250

Dinner - b250+

200ml Jim Beam about b120 and can be bought any time of day. Beer is a bit more dear, but a few baht more, but better quality. Comparing say...Leo. Henekein would be abt same.

Yeah, some things crazy expensive but ez to avoid. 100Y shops and convenience stores abound.

Cosmetics for ladies, cheaper and better. Snacks and candies about same. Toiletries, same or even cheaper.

Transport was excellent, especially in Kyoto. The costs often are roughly the same as the BTS/MRT. Of course, quality and value of long haul buses in Thailand will everywhere in the world.

I looked at some adverts for flats and houses quickly. Looks like flats start as low as b13k. Strikes me as there are no bad areas in Kyoto, perhaps only inconvenient.

I found the women of all ages to be charming. The young ones kind of flirty and the milfy ones would often give me a long hungry stare. I think a reasonably good looking guy who was ok with dating women hus age could have some serious fun. The college chickens are also a possibility if you know how to play it.

You will never be accepted as Japanese, but you will never be accepted as Thai. A wash.

Spend nine months in Japan and the winter in SEAsia.

I do not know how the medical/dental works for foreigners but the system is heavily subsidized for Japanese. Thailand has good dentists, but the good ones are no longer cheap - only about 30% less than states.

Doctors are horrendously bad in this country. I really have no basis of comparison. The misdiagnosis and the amount of meds they perscribe would be illegal in most countries.

The people are stoic, respectful of privacy and noise. Everything is clean and people mindful of ithers in the street and on transit.

Osaka was far more gritty than Kyoto and we only got a taste of Japan, but they Thai's in the group were really astonished.

The Yen is set to plummet downward and has started already.

Edited by Mencken

Cosmetics for ladies, cheaper and better. Snacks and candies about same. Toiletries, same or even cheaper

Walk down an aisle of a UK supermarket and compare prices with here. You would be shocked, especially on booze, breads, cakes, cereals etc. One of the main 'miss's' for me; the price but also the mind-boggling choice and quality.

I dunno where u guys live.

I don't know why always the first thing on the list is to compare the price of alcohol.

I find Thailand very cheap. I have been to Japan many times and you simply can not compare the accommodation.

I can stay in Hilton here for $100 bucks, Holiday Inn express for $50.... and that's a nice new big room.

In Japan staying at Hilton is minimum $250 and requires a surcharge for a second person. That's for one of those advance purchase rates.

I buy chicken breast at tops for 45 baht that I cook. In Canada (I don't know about USA or Japan) that will cost me 300 baht.

Trains in Tokyo are cheap short distance (around 200 yen), but good luck with long distances. I stayed at Narita a few times before I bought a Japan Rail Pass and the train to Tokyo was something like 3000 yen. There is a cheaper slower train which takes almost 2 hours and is 1200 yen. How does that compare to 80 baht Airport link?

I always see a bunch of Japanese people at central plaza (they usually eat at On The Table, so it's not the cheapest place) and they always comment how the bill is cheap.

I love Japan more than Thailand and wish I could live there, but some people are just talking out of their behind.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

I dunno where u guys live.

I don't know why always the first think on the list is to compare the price of alcohol.

I find Thailand very cheap. I have been to Japan many times and you simply can not compare the accommodation.

I can stay in Hilton here for $100 bucks, Holiday Inn express for $50.... and that's a nice new big room.

In Japan staying at Hilton is minimum $250 and requires a surcharge for a second person. That's for one of those advance purchase rates.

I buy chicken breast at tops for 45 baht that I cook. In Canada (I don't know about USA or Japan) that will cost me 300 baht.

Trains in Tokyo are cheap short distance (around 200 yen), but good luck wish long distances. Yes, Japanese trains are better.

I always see a bunch of Japanese people at central plaza (they usually eat at On The Table, so it's not the cheapest place) and they always comment how the bill is cheap.

I love Japan more than Thailand and wish I could live there, but some people are just talking out of their behind.

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/reservation/book.htm?execution=e2s2

Can you show me which room you can rent for 100$ = 3000 baht? I don't see it.

I've never been in Japan but if we compare restaurantprices then also look at the quality/size of the table, linen,cutlery, decorations, atmosphere, portion sizes, can the personell speak different languages and so on. For me Thai food portions are too small.

I love to eat japanese beause it's perfectionism on a plate.

All were in agreement that Japan was essentially the same price and better value than Thailand.

Edited: Room costs,

Very simple Japanese rooms, share toilet Osaka- b850

Decent low end room, toilet, fridge Kyoto (deal) - b1750

850 baht for a simply room with a shared toilet?

In Thailand I can pay 400-600 basically anywhere in the country for a room with aircon, cable TV, fridge and my own bathroom with hot shower. They are not remotely comparable in price.

Japanese fast food breakfast - b120

Sushi lunch (10plates/20pcs) - b350

Standard lunch - b150-250

Dinner - b250+

Thai fast food breakfast is about 30 baht

Standard Thai lunch is is 30-60 baht

250 baht will buy several dishes for dinner and feed multiple people

Ok the sushi is a good deal, it is overpriced here.

Thai food is dirt cheap and amazing, it is a fraction of the cost of Japanese food in Japan.

If you're one of those people who only eats farang food, maybe the prices in Thailand are similar to Japan. Farang food is over priced.

I looked at some adverts for flats and houses quickly. Looks like flats start as low as b13k. Strikes me as there are no bad areas in Kyoto, perhaps only inconvenient.

Basic aircon flats in Thailand start around 3000 baht. There are no real bad areas here either, just inconvenient if you're not near the trains.

I do admit 13k is a significantly better than I expected for a big city in Japan, not a bad deal. I wouldn't mind trying it out some day. From your post in general Japan isn't quite as expensive to live as I expected, but it is not remotely close to how cheap Thailand is.

Yes, Japanese food is better, for sure.

It is also a lot more expensive.

I stayed at double tree many times for $100. That included the breakfast too. Maybe the rate is gone, but in Tokyo too I was booking the cheapest possible rate. Usually it is more like $300-$400 a night.

I checked hilton Thailand a few times last years but have never seen it for 100$, maybe i looked at the wrong website but i think Hilton is not cheap.

If you order fish in a japanese restaurant it is a perfect fillet, perfectly served, perfectly cooked and cut/presented....I 'm happy to pay extra for that. Now try to get that from a Thai restaurant, that's almost impossible. Thai even think a fillet has skin and bones.

Agreed on all points. I think TH is still more affordable if you're on a foreign salary, but if you're working, then your salary will be at or above a typical western one, instead of slightly below, making it easier to fly home or travel internationally. Also, the general ease and efficiency related to doing just about anything in Japan factors into cost as well. Time is money, right? People are easier to connect with. You can actually be friends with Japanese men. And the women are more genuine. The nightlife is not as inviting, but I don't party that much anyway. Japan has more walking communities, so you don't need to spend money as often to entertain yourself. It's cleaner and people are more respectful of their surroundings. The big issue is retirement. Getting permanent residency is a challenge. You must prove your worth to get it. But Japan is shrinking. It seems like most of the guys that go there have no trouble meeting and marrying a local.

thats because despite the fact taht many japanese girls are absolutely gaga over anything white/farang

and yes there always money grubbers in every country, especiall asia and in japan,

you cant be a three time divorced loser, living on a pension and live like a king in japan, whilst having young girls throwing themselves at you,

as a whole, the japanese are less materialistic, and do have some standards when it comes to dating farangs

If you are a loser back home in every aspect whether it be financial, career, relationship, socially, you are still going to be one in japan, a lot less likely in thailand

• Like 2

thailand and the us are not comparable.

you could make an argument for bkk or phuket being similar in price to a us suburb or an inner city ghetto area, but your not comparing apples to oranges.

it would be the difference between a penthouse in bkk and a dump in a big city like san francisco, new york or los angeles in a dangerous area with lots of crime, drugs etc.

same scenario for remote areas. it's only comparable if you swap out living conditions, not for equivalent situations and areas.

getting a decent place in the us for 20k baht near civilization is gonna land you in the middle of a hellhole.

here's some interesting armchair psych:

what your really complainig about in this thread is your inability to adapt and live locally. i see it all the time. foreigners will shop big c daily for expensive staples, eat out at pricey places (foreign food of course) and all the rest then complain things are as expensive as other areas.

i shop large local markets even in bkk i have yet to see another foreigner there! but this is where everything is priced locally. where are they?

again, shopped locally in chiang mai daily for years and only saw insignificant amount of foreigners there!

where were they? up the street eating in places set up for foreigners at food 3 times as much. in bkk they shop at villa market which is just at or above us grocery prices.

so are you really trying, or just frustrated, upset, scared or unwilling for whatever reason to adapt to a new financial and living situation?

Fey, I agree with you, so I hope the post not directed at me. I eat Thai 3x and the only thing western you'll find in the house are oats and coffee.

The point of my post was to perhaps enlighten in that, Japan does not need to be expensive for a holiday AND if you were not one of those old skeezers that are hopelessly addicted to the attentions of chubby Issan mothers, Japan is a possible play.

The guy posting about some banal mchotel. Well, if you have that sort of money, enjoy a ryokan. But my post was to encourage people to think out of the box.

As I stated, I saw many flats starting around b12k up. Something quite decent but simple, 20k.

As for UK, well I never mentioned that.

All I'm simply saying is that Japan is no more expensive than US and getting cheaper daily. Yen just hit 114/1.

Was essentially stating that, our holiday can be cheap. So csn yours BUT if you are looking for something different. Something clean, polite, cultured, pleasant where if you are a normal single man you could imo essily find m/f companionship. Japan is now an option and Kyoto was lovely.

No ideas about visas long term but they have to be eadier than Thailand.

The amateur statisticians are at it again comparing the costs of living. Why not consult the professionals? Mercer, part of whose business is estimating costs of living by city for companies to adjust pay scales for expats, ranks Tokyo number 7, New York number 16 and Bangkok number 88.

http://www.imercer.com/uploads/GM/col2014h6521/index.html

Not about Japans costs but as I type this I'm sitting in cafe in koh Samed. Nothing flash. The coffee is however good. Meaning like AU and Europe ...however 90 baht.

I just had scrambled eggs. Rubbish by AU cafe standard 150 baht. Thai gf had ham/cheese sandwich. 150baht.

(We only eat farang food mornings) Thing is the western food was ordinary at very and just spent $15aud. That's only little less than I would spend in AU

the op needs to include everything about Japan.

Friday its taxi back to bkk between 3-4 hours. 2000baht.

Would need bank loan to do that in AU.

Yes and back to the very nice condo in top area for 7500 baht including water/electric....utilities alone in AU about 9000 .. Don't even talk about rent....heart would give out

Edited by jacksam