Retirement Extension Issued out of Thailand?

williet98248, on 07 Nov 2014 - 07:53, said:

I am always amazed at people asking visa questions on the forum. Don't they ever consider getting the answer from the horse's mouth? The local Immigration Office? On the forum you are likely to get 10 different answers from ten different people. Here in Phuket you probably wouldn't even have to talk to an Immigration Officer. Just tell the Farang volunteer your problem and he will take care of it; tell you what you have to do and provide the proper papers to fill out. In my twelve years in Thailand of getting a yearly new visa and reporting every 90 days I have had only one questionable problem which I put down to a misunderstanding. In one case the Imm Officer actually advised and showed me how to avoid a 20K baht fine for overstay by getting the hell out to Malayasia and coming back in on a new visa. Wear a clean collared shirt, real shoes, a haircut and a smile.

The problem is williet, you will also get 10 different answers from Immigration Officers, or 10 different Immigration Offices.

10 different people will also have 10 different experiences.

Sometimes a document not requested last year, is requested this year.

The forum gives members the chance to ask for any updates since they last went through a procedure.

Nobody spends more unappreciated time, or is more knowledgeable on these matters than udonjoe.

Remember at the end of the day an Immigration Officer is also a Police Officer, he has the right to request any document he regards relevant.

Sometimes there is no right or wrong, you just do what you have to do to satisfy Immigration.

jpinx, on 06 Nov 2014 - 16:16, said:

The OP stated he wanted it for retirement purposes Joe, hence I mentioned financial proof.

Just for your own information (I know you spend a lot of time collating info from all sources), one of my UK friends is retired and spends 3 months in the UK and 3 months in Thailand. He regularly gets the 90 day single entry Non Imm O from Hull, but always has to show his pension letter from the DWP as proof of funds.

(He isn't married and has no intention to retire in Thailand)

Hull also doesn't issue single entry Non Imm O directly, they send them to London, returned around 4 days later for collection at Hull.

Liverpool issue them same day, no problems.

I really can't work out what's going on in the UK at the moment.

--------------------------------------------

Can your friend not get an annual extension and re-entry permits next time he's in Thailand and then keep that valid/renewed? It'd save going to the consulate/embassy so many times. He can apply for renewal of the extension 30days early - sometimes 45 days depending on the office involved. If he can make his 3 month stays under 90 days, it'll mean he'll never have to do a 90 day report smile.png win-win! smile.png

That is an option for him, however he'd have to show the 800,000 in a Thai bank.

He lives in Hull. 2 visits a year with just his letter of proof he is in receipt of a Pension. Keeps his money in a UK bank.

He can use the income method, which I have found very straightforward. No need for any banking in Thailand at all. Getting the first retirement extension costs a bit because of the stages you need to go through, but renewals are a doddle and very inexpensive. ;)

jpinx, on 07 Nov 2014 - 10:41, said:
Faz, on 07 Nov 2014 - 06:59, said:
jpinx, on 06 Nov 2014 - 16:16, said:jpinx, on 06 Nov 2014 - 16:16, said:

The OP stated he wanted it for retirement purposes Joe, hence I mentioned financial proof.

Just for your own information (I know you spend a lot of time collating info from all sources), one of my UK friends is retired and spends 3 months in the UK and 3 months in Thailand. He regularly gets the 90 day single entry Non Imm O from Hull, but always has to show his pension letter from the DWP as proof of funds.

(He isn't married and has no intention to retire in Thailand)

Hull also doesn't issue single entry Non Imm O directly, they send them to London, returned around 4 days later for collection at Hull.

Liverpool issue them same day, no problems.

I really can't work out what's going on in the UK at the moment.

--------------------------------------------

Can your friend not get an annual extension and re-entry permits next time he's in Thailand and then keep that valid/renewed? It'd save going to the consulate/embassy so many times. He can apply for renewal of the extension 30days early - sometimes 45 days depending on the office involved. If he can make his 3 month stays under 90 days, it'll mean he'll never have to do a 90 day report smile.png win-win! smile.png

That is an option for him, however he'd have to show the 800,000 in a Thai bank.

He lives in Hull. 2 visits a year with just his letter of proof he is in receipt of a Pension. Keeps his money in a UK bank.

He can use the income method, which I have found very straightforward. No need for any banking in Thailand at all. Getting the first retirement extension costs a bit because of the stages you need to go through, but renewals are a doddle and very inexpensive. wink.png

I agree with you jpinx, I have discussed the options with him, but he would;

a. Have to ensure he was in Thailand at the time the extension was due for renewal.

b. Take a 1 1/2 drive to our nearest Imm office.

c. Get a letter from the British Embassy here confirming funds.

To him that is to much 'mucking' about'. He lives on the doorstep of the Hull Consulate so a twice yearly visit is less hassle in his opinion.

People make their own choices. He's been doing it that way for the last 6 years.

He used to get a multi 0-A years ago before the requirements changed.

• Like 1

a. Have to ensure he was in Thailand at the time the extension was due for renewal.

To him that is to much 'mucking' about'. He lives on the doorstep of the Hull Consulate so a twice yearly visit is less hassle in his opinion.

People make their own choices. He's been doing it that way for the last 6 years.

He is quite right. I go back at least once a year and have normally picked up a new visa from Hull at the time. I would still be doing it if I had not had a problem renewing my passport which forced me into getting an extension. It is an hour drive for me over to Hull but still a lot less hassle than a visit to Thai Immigration. Hull operate an appointment system and I have never seen anyone else there. It is straight in, do the business and straight out.

When I did my extension, I was there for 4 hours the day I put it in, and then another 4 hours on the day I had to go back.

He is quite right. I go back at least once a year and have normally picked up a new visa from Hull at the time. I would still be doing it if I had not had a problem renewing my passport which forced me into getting an extension. It is an hour drive for me over to Hull but still a lot less hassle than a visit to Thai Immigration. Hull operate an appointment system and I have never seen anyone else there. It is straight in, do the business and straight out.

When I did my extension, I was there for 4 hours the day I put it in, and then another 4 hours on the day I had to go back.

All fair points - but my own experience with immigration in Thailand has been very good and mighty convenient -- certainly a lot moreso than getting from my UK address to Hull and their very nice system.

All of which demonstrates once again that there is no single rule for everyone. It pays to consult in here for experiences, but carefully check your own situation.

As you say people make their own choices which is fair enough.

However, if I were in his situation I would still go for the extension even if I thought it to be more "mucking about", just in case Thailand should decide to raise the income/deposit requirements to a point where I would no longer qualify. The last time they raised the financial requirements, those already in the system were "grandfathered" and can continue to this day qualifying based on the old requirements.

There is no guarantee that Thailand will continue to allow us to live in Thailand on visas, basically visas are for visiting Thailand and extensions are for living here. It would be a shame if he was caught out some time in the future being unable to obtain a visa or qualify for an extension. Of course, maybe his finances are such that he will not have to worry about raised financial requirements.

Sophon

He doesn't live in Thailand Sophon.

He visits every 3 months, for a 3 month period as per his 90 day Non Imm O Visa.

He is a frequent Tourist, not a resident.

Not wishing to split hairs, but 2 entries per year is not a "frequent tourist". ;)

Maybe the Elite card would suit him better?

jpinx, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:25, said:
Faz, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:06, said:

He visits every 3 months, for a 3 month period as per his 90 day Non Imm O Visa.

Not wishing to split hairs, but 2 entries per year is not a "frequent tourist". wink.png

2 visits per year for 16 years, I classify as a 'frequent tourist'.

An elite card is for those who want to stay, or come and go unlimited and don't fit into other categories of suitable Visas for their purpose, or are under 50 and can't meet the requirements for an extension. Cost 500,000 baht ?

At the end of the day it's each to their own and he finds it more convenient to do 2 trips to Hull.

Cost £100 (5,000 baht)

Not wishing to split hairs, but 2 entries per year is not a "frequent tourist". wink.png

An elite card is for those who want to stay, or come and go unlimited and don't fit into other categories of suitable Visas for their purpose, or are under 50 and can't meet the requirements for an extension. Cost 500,000 baht ?

At the end of the day it's each to their own and he finds it more convenient to do 2 trips to Hull.

Cost £100 (5,000 baht)

Someone visiting twice for a couple of weeks per year is a tourist, someone spending six months of the year in Thailand is not. No guarantee spending that much time in Thailand will be allowed on visas in the future.

Sophon

Someone visiting twice for a couple of weeks per year is a tourist, someone spending six months of the year in Thailand is not. No guarantee spending that much time in Thailand will be allowed on visas in the future.

That is just your opinion and your hope. At this time, staying on tourist visa in Thailand is allowed, and let me add, unlikely to change.

• Like 1

Sophon, on 09 Nov 2014 - 19:48, said:Sophon, on 09 Nov 2014 - 19:48, said:
Faz, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:46, said:Faz, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:46, said:
jpinx, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:25, said:jpinx, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:25, said:

Faz, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:06, said:Faz, on 09 Nov 2014 - 18:06, said:

Cost £100 (5,000 baht)

Sophon

Then pray tell, why do they offer a 60 day Tourist Visa, which can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration.

The only recent change is the clampdown on back to back Visa exempts.

My friend is in his early 70's and as a person in receipt of his state pension, is entitled to apply for the Non Imm O if he wishes.

He is in no way abusing the system.

He's worked all his life, paid his taxes, saved and is now enjoying the fruits of his labour He is the kind of tourist Thailand wants more of.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

Then pray tell, why do they offer a 60 day Tourist Visa, which can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration.

The only recent change is the clampdown on back to back Visa exempts.

My friend is in his early 70's and as a person in receipt of his state pension, is entitled to apply for the Non Imm O if he wishes.

He is in no way abusing the system.

He's worked all his life, paid his taxes, saved and is now enjoying the fruits of his labour He is the kind of tourist Thailand wants more of.

To many on here that visa does not exist, mainly because it is not available in their home country, so invariably there is a negative response every time it gets mentioned.

• Like 1

That is just your opinion and your hope. At this time, staying on tourist visa in Thailand is allowed, and let me add, unlikely to change.

What a stupid comment, where did I in any way hint that I hope they change the rules to disallow staying in Thailand on visa entries? I just mentioned the possibility so that Faz's friend could take everything into consideration before making his decision.

Speaking of personal opinions, what would you consider "......and let me add, unlikely to change" to be? You have no more knowledge of what may or may not happen with tourist visas than I do, so that is just your completely unqualified opinion. They changed the rules so that you no longer can stay for extended periods in Thailand on visa exempt entries, so it would not be illogical if they did the same for tourist visas (as both visa exempt and tourist visas are intended for tourism), Whether they will or not I have no idea, but at least I have the good sense to admit that I don't know what will happen in the future. Anyway, we were talking about Non-O not tourist visa.

Sophon

• Like 1

Whether they will or not I have no idea, but at least I have the good sense to admit that I don't know what will happen in the future. Anyway, we were talking about Non-O not tourist visa.

Good, if you don't know, don't post. Ending here by my side.

Whether they will or not I have no idea, but at least I have the good sense to admit that I don't know what will happen in the future. Anyway, we were talking about Non-O not tourist visa.

Good, if you don't know, don't post. Ending here by my side.

I know you consider yourself something of a visa expert, but until you are a moderator you don't get to decide where I post or don't. Not knowing something doesn't seem to stop you from posting, as seen by the several times lately that UbonJoe have had to correct your information about visas and extensions.

Sophon