Nimmen area - basic, inexpensive Thai dishes

JulieM

It's clear that you consider food to be a commodity like zinc or frozen pork bellies. For you, if a dish is called chicken with basil, it's all the same wherever it's made.. Preparation and quality of ingredients are irrelevant. It must simplify your life immensely having the possible different tastes of a dish be imperceptible.. You are to be envied.

We're discussing places that sell Thai food for 35-40bht a dish.

I'm amazed you can find places where the quality varies much for that price.

The quality does vary greatly, for example for that benchmark dish "pad grapow" the greasyness, saltiness, spiceyness, ammount or lack of "holy basil" (grapow) can vary greatly, .... also cashew chicken, is it made in the drier Thai style with the dried toasted chiles or more chinese style, wet and bland, ... even pad thai varies (the place on Chang Moi near T.P. soi 2 gets my vote, not greasy at all)...... If you require aircon your choises will be more limited.

• Like 1

Oops. I forgot to mention that the Lemon Tree is a bit far for me, although I have heard they have excellent value meals.

Also, something about dining right near the busy road does not appeal to me.

Ok i will let you in on one of my secret places .

Kiat Num its next door to why not. I think soi 9 just up from beer republic.

Consustently the best value meals we have had for four years. Always full of thai students and dishes mostly 30 to 50bt.

Well prepared and presented and eat outside or air conditioned.

Go and try it and you dont get the best evenings fill for under 60bt then i will pay your bill and never mention the place again.

Go once and you will return.

• Like 2

The best overall food place I've found on the West side of town, (Nimmanhaemin, Huay Kaew, CMU) is Malin Plaza, across from the main entrance to CMU. Buffet places in the center, great shopping on the perimenter, and great value food stalls at the rear of the plaze. Most dishes are 30-45 baht, and are big portions. Many places have menus in English, all include photos, and they have pictures of many of their dishes shown above their stall areas. Can't be beat. Many students eat their and the shopping is great, especially for girls clothes!

The best overall food place I've found on the West side of town, (Nimmanhaemin, Huay Kaew, CMU) is Malin Plaza, across from the main entrance to CMU. Buffet places in the center, great shopping on the perimenter, and great value food stalls at the rear of the plaze. Most dishes are 30-45 baht, and are big portions. Many places have menus in English, all include photos, and they have pictures of many of their dishes shown above their stall areas. Can't be beat. Many students eat their and the shopping is great, especially for girls clothes!

not bad that area for food it seems to be heavily weighted with japenese resturants though.eye candy amazing though.

Their Facebook page indicates that they are open from 11 AM - 2 PM for lunch, but it's not exactly clear. Better call first.

I tried the place on Soi 5 and it was fine. Today they were closed. Not sure if they always close on Fridays.

Today I tried Kiat Nun (or whatever it is called) on Soi 11 and it was also very good.

number one resturant on minnanhaemin rd is the mix resturant end of soi one,cul de sac.wont find any 40 bht dishes in there though

Is Mix open for lunch or evenings only?
That place has to survive on reputation because its so hidden it gets no passing trade.

I only found it vy accident a few years ago.

Never been though it didnt look that inviting to me.....but its still going!

number one resturant on minnanhaemin rd is the mix resturant end of soi one,cul de sac.wont find any 40 bht dishes in there though

Is Mix open for lunch or evenings only?
That place has to survive on reputation because its so hidden it gets no passing trade.

I only found it vy accident a few years ago.

Never been though it didnt look that inviting to me.....but its still going!

going back 12 yrs or so ,the drunken flower occupied the same site,and traded reasonably well under a lot more quiter conditions

but was very close to soi 13.let it all hang out estabalishments, my favourite was the parachute club (in for a quick jump)nice music ,nice ladies, at very affordable prices in all areas

those were the days

eyecatcher will try your grazing paaddock out when i visit my super visa agent next time in soi 9, thks cobber

It's clear that you consider food to be a commodity like zinc or frozen pork bellies. For you, if a dish is called chicken with basil, it's all the same wherever it's made.. Preparation and quality of ingredients are irrelevant. It must simplify your life immensely having the possible different tastes of a dish be imperceptible.. You are to be envied.

We're discussing places that sell Thai food for 35-40bht a dish.

I'm amazed you can find places where the quality varies much for that price.

I am amazed that you can not find such places but It is consistent with the general low level of awareness found these days.

I think that what happened is that AnotherOneAmerican's desire to be unpleasant outweighed his common sense and now he's stuck with an indefensible position. At least, I hope that's the case. It would be too sad to believe that he truly subscribes to his assertions.

I think Americans assume that because McDonalds tastes exactly the same wherever you eat it, all other food must too.

• Like 1

The "cow soi" at Maya is average at best. Much better and cheaper "cow soi" to be found just up Huay Gaow and across the street. Look for the 7/11, turn left at that corner, and walk straight ahead maybe 50 meters. 30 baht for "cow soi" with chicken and 40 baht for beef. Far, far superior to the Maya experience in every way.

Edit: I believe this is open for lunch only, maybe 11 AM to 2 PM but I am not sure.

If it is a Khao Soi vote here is mine. Cross Nimmen to Maya and carry on the Superhighway for about 200 yards. Just after the road that leads to Greenhill Place is my favourite Khao Soi 'shack'. Lunchtime only.

Plenty of cheap evening eats just after this, recommend the duck from the Chinese stall.

Must say I have not been in town for a few months (back January!!) so could all be demolished by now.

If it is a Khao Soi vote here is mine. Cross Nimmen to Maya and carry on the Superhighway for about 200 yards. Just after the road that leads to Greenhill Place is my favourite Khao Soi 'shack'. Lunchtime only.

Plenty of cheap evening eats just after this, recommend the duck from the Chinese stall.

Must say I have not been in town for a few months (back January!!) so could all be demolished by now.

Sadly "Hong Kong Duck" which I believe is the place you refer to, is gone, after about 3 years at that location. It was absolutely the best in town and the duck was served with a very unique peanut sauce that was delicious. We went the other night for dinner and there was nothing there. The guy must have gone back to Bangkok.

Sadly "Hong Kong Duck" which I believe is the place you refer to, is gone, after about 3 years at that location. It was absolutely the best in town and the duck was served with a very unique peanut sauce that was delicious. We went the other night for dinner and there was nothing there. The guy must have gone back to Bangkok.

Update: Hong Kong Duck is still there! We were so surprised when we left MAYA tonight and saw it open for business. The g/f stopped to talk to the owner and apparently they closed for a week and packed up everything including all the signs. Who would ever know....

Anyway, great place if you like Chinese style duck. Glad it's still there.

• Like 1

@julieM: if you drive to the end of Nimman road and just around the corner near CMU you have dozens of places where you can eat all kind of local food for 30 baht.

Thanks, Robert24. I'm always on foot nowadays --- no car, no bike. I am much happier on foot, but those places are a bit too far for a casual meal. But when I do hike up the Suthep Road I eat at those places often. Yes, they are numerous, economical and delicious.

Edited by JulieM