'Indonesia will not join US-led coalition against IS'

webfact

'Indonesia will not join US-led coalition against IS'

17-11-2557-9-54-09-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Indonesia will not be sending troops to join the US-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) militant group, said the chief of Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI).

“At this moment, we don’t have any plans to send troops to join the international community in the fight against IS,” Dato Paduka Seri General Moeldoko told The Brunei Times in a recent interview.

Moeldoko made the comments shortly after Singapore announced it would be deploying equipment and personnel to join the international coalition, making it the first ASEAN nation to commit to the battle against IS forces.

However, Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen stressed that no SAF troops would be on the ground in Iraq or Syria and all assistance would operate out of neighbouring countries.

When asked whether Brunei is susceptible to the IS threat, Moeldoko said it was difficult to assess the impact because it was hard to trace the movement of IS fighters in the region.

The Brunei government has become increasingly concerned with the growing threat and reach of the extremist group, condemning its actions and calling to disrupt terrorist financing channels.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indonesia-will-join-us-led-coalition

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-17

They dont want to help , yet there hand is always out in relation to foreign aid from the Australian taxpayers ,

Consistent with Australia’s national interest, Australia’s aid supports a stable, democratic and prosperous Indonesia.

http://aid.dfat.gov.au/countries/eastasia/indonesia/Pages/home.aspx

Anyone know if Indo has actually been invited to provide troop resources in the fight against IS? For the moment the Iraqi government has made it clear that it does not want foreign country combat troops operating within its territory.

There are more country nationals from individual countries such as the UK fighting with IS, than those from Indonesia. Since the Bali bombing, Indo has been quite successful in suppressing Islamic radicalism within its borders.

• Like 2

Doesn't dare to you mean.

Worlds largest population of muslims how can he. Would start an extremist movement much more popular than he has now.

We don't want that. Muslims will always support Muslims.

Indonesia is the only country I know where there are official holidays for different religious groups.

They not only have holidays on muslim festive days, but also christian, hindu, buddhist and chinese ones.

Which other nation can compete with this tolerance? I'm sure no NATO member can!

Bye,

Derk

• Like 2

Indonesia has an army?

Yes, a very large one, and the latest in fighter aircraft.

However, the non-interest in ISIS just might have something to do with the fact that Indonesia is 85% Muslim.

I was just listening to a documentary on the iPlayer about India's role in World-War One.

What I noticed was the recurring issues of the muslim's questioning why they were fighting other muslim's (in Turkey) to help the infidel's. They complained about the stigma for their families because they did it. The question of why there was a war in the first place was never mentioned. It seems the main reason they did was that they could go and live in England afterwards.

If all the muslim's in the world were forced to go and fight and had to choose a side, I wonder how many would join ISIS and fight the jihad against the West. That's a very important question IMHO and definitely one the politicians will never allow to be asked.

I don't recall the last time that Indonesia or Thailand for that matter sent military help to anyone, anywhere

----- Hmn ?, Yes, now I do recall it was NEVER !

Sorry, Don, you can "goggle" as easy as any on TV, you are incorrect.

• Like 1

IMHO, countries outside the middle east should be limiting themselves to supporting the nations whose territory ISIS is taking. As to "boots on the ground" these forces should be furnished by the nations under attack or threatened in the region. This would involve the primarily Moslem countries. If they are not willing to fight collectively to save themselves, I would be hesitant to blame any country outside that region for not wanting to be drawn into another conflict potentially for an elongated period of time and demand on their resources.

The ISIS threat is not isolated to the ME...giving time...Indonesia will be asking for help to remove the threat from its own country...best to deal with the murderers in the ME...BEFORE...they target Asian countries...

Doesn't dare to you mean.

Worlds largest population of muslims how can he. Would start an extremist movement much more popular than he has now.

We don't want that. Muslims will always support Muslims.

And yet the vast majority of those who fight these extremists, and almost all of those murdered by them, are themselves Muslims.

• Like 2

Indonesia has an army?

However, the non-interest in ISIS just might have something to do with the fact that Indonesia is 85% Muslim.

Can you please give a link to their fighter aircraft? I'm unaware that they have any. Sorry, I'm not making a claim, I just can't find a credible reference where they do. With the size of their military they probably do, and I'd like to know what they are. Thanks.

They do have 4 Boeing Apache helicopters.

I don't recall the last time that Indonesia or Thailand for that matter sent military help to anyone, anywhere

----- Hmn ?, Yes, now I do recall it was NEVER !

To be fair, both countries sent peace-keeping forces with the UN into Cambodia after their problems.

Indonesia has an army?

Can you please give a link to their fighter aircraft? I'm unaware that they have any. Sorry, I'm not making a claim, I just can't find a credible reference where they do. With the size of their military they probably do, and I'd like to know what they are. Thanks.

They do have 4 Boeing Apache helicopters.

They recently had a fly past for some special occasion, showing off the new aircraft.

They were very quick off the mark twice in the past month, when private aircraft attempted short cuts on their way to the Philippines.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-22/indonesian-airforce-fighter-jets-intercept-australian-plane/5833960

These were new Russian built aircraft.

Probably getting their own back as Australian forces are always catching their shark poachers in protected areas, and are often caught with tonnes of shark fin aboard.