Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people responsible for this shameful debacle, in particular including the recently fired head of HMPO Paul 'no problems here' Pugh, should go against the wall for what they have done to overseas British Citizens, instead they will probably get knighthoods and massive pensions for all the 'good' work they have done.

Truly Disgusting.

Paul Pugh was fired ? When did that happen ?

Some people responsible for this shameful debacle, in particular including the recently fired head of HMPO Paul 'no problems here' Pugh, should go against the wall for what they have done to overseas British Citizens, instead they will probably get knighthoods and massive pensions for all the 'good' work they have done.

Truly Disgusting.

Paul Pugh was fired ? When did that happen ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11122977/HM-Passport-Office-to-be-abolished-and-boss-to-lose-job-says-Theresa-May.html

• Like 1

hi all

wonder if anyone can help, i am due to renew my passport at the trendy building and as Annex A states proof of address is required i have a letter from the British embassy in Bangkok dated jan of this year so in date it states my name address and passport No, would that do as proof or do i need to go to immigration and get a residency letter then get it translated into english did phone the uk passport helpline but waste of time.

thanks

hi all

wonder if anyone can help, i am due to renew my passport at the trendy building and as Annex A states proof of address is required i have a letter from the British embassy in Bangkok dated jan of this year so in date it states my name address and passport No, would that do as proof or do i need to go to immigration and get a residency letter then get it translated into english did phone the uk passport helpline but waste of time.

thanks

If you have the letter from the British Embassy in BKK addressed to you at your residence in Thailand, dated this January, then you have evidence for the confirmation of your name and address.

Identity, name and address evidence

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Name and Address Evidence:

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

immigration documents

Edited by digitalchromakey

If it's any help for folks who use Khon Kaen immi I called them and they don't need a letter from the embassy confirming your new passport when you transfer your extension stamp from old to.new passport

• Like 2

PS Mister Fixit - I used a photo shop in Chalong, Phuket for the photos with no issues. I had with me the guidelines for sizes etc printed from the UK passport website.

Big Steve - I have had passport photos taken at the same shop in Nonthaburi in the past with no problems.

I went along last time (early July), and it was a different guy who seemed pretty unsure of himself, and was not confident. I had the UK regulations/guidelines for photos with me, explained them all in Thai, but he still got it wrong, it seems.

I do now remember when I had my previous passport renewed in 2008, I used a place in the UK. I think the Thai photos regs are not as stringent as the UK ones which have become even more so in recent years.

Print off the photo specs and take it to the shop and find a shop that understands.

It took me several attempts to get the right proportions, in the first they obviously photoshopped my forehead wrinkles despite my instructions, which is the Thai way.

PS Mister Fixit - I used a photo shop in Chalong, Phuket for the photos with no issues. I had with me the guidelines for sizes etc printed from the UK passport website.

Big Steve - I have had passport photos taken at the same shop in Nonthaburi in the past with no problems.

I went along last time (early July), and it was a different guy who seemed pretty unsure of himself, and was not confident. I had the UK regulations/guidelines for photos with me, explained them all in Thai, but he still got it wrong, it seems.

I do now remember when I had my previous passport renewed in 2008, I used a place in the UK. I think the Thai photos regs are not as stringent as the UK ones which have become even more so in recent years.

I think this is to do with the automatic gates at immigration. The gate takes your photo and compares it to your passport, slightest discrepancy and you are locked in and someone has to come and let you out. It will not let me through unless I take my glasses off.

• Like 1

I should have said immigration share the same system .. Anyway am on a tourist visa also making another police report is classed as fraud ..

Ok, no extension.

Not fraud, you are simply reporting the loss of a police report whose subject is the theft of your old passport, quite legal.

Still better that you have the stamp in your passport before you go to the airport.

As you are on a Tourist Visa (and even with a Tourist Visa 30 day extension), you can go to any Immigration Department to get the stamp in your new passport using the Embassy pro forma (and almost certainly a police report).

Without the admission stamp, you may find your self delayed at the airport - better go to immigration before if you prefer a painless/stress less approach.

Well just got my police report i sent to them and someone saying they hadn't received it .. Talk about a bloody nightmare all this being mess about with and now still waiting for supporting documents .. also sent an email to the embassy wait a few days for the new passport letter now because was speaking to someone whom works in the embassy about them sorting out for us but they are too lazy to do anything ..

Edited by NickyBurma

Hi all smile.png,

for Name and Address Evidence

Has anyone used a certificate or residence from Thai immigration? with success?

Im sure they have, but you need to get it translated and stamped to get approved.

There is a cowboy translation agency on the 1st floor at Trendy who will do the job, i guess they will take less than an hour and about 1000B ( i forget how much a translation is now ) to do the job.

• Like 1

I should have said immigration share the same system .. Anyway am on a tourist visa also making another police report is classed as fraud ..

Ok, no extension.

Not fraud, you are simply reporting the loss of a police report whose subject is the theft of your old passport, quite legal.

Still better that you have the stamp in your passport before you go to the airport.

As you are on a Tourist Visa (and even with a Tourist Visa 30 day extension), you can go to any Immigration Department to get the stamp in your new passport using the Embassy pro forma (and almost certainly a police report).

Without the admission stamp, you may find your self delayed at the airport - better go to immigration before if you prefer a painless/stress less approach.

Well just got my police report i sent to them and someone saying they hadn't received it .. Talk about a bloody nightmare all this being mess about with and now still waiting for supporting documents .. also sent an email to the embassy wait a few days for the new passport letter now because was speaking to someone whom works in the embassy about them sorting out for us but they are too lazy to do anything ..

Did you send the email to Consular Services at The British Embassy in Bangkok, they are the ones who do the pro- forma?

[email protected]

Send then a scan of the front page of your new passport, dob, address, entry dates, visa/extension type and police report.

In July they did mine and sent it to me by EMS the next day - no charge.

Hi all smile.png,

for Name and Address Evidence

Has anyone used a certificate or residence from Thai immigration? with success?

Yes, I used a Certificate of Residence from Chiang Mai Immigration, sending the original and a translation from a translation service. This was accepted by HMPO.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has any body used the Photographic service at Trendy and is it ok to wait till renewal before getting pictures taken there

It's a photo shop at the ground floor of trendy towers on the RHS as you go in, nothing to do with trendy/HMPO.

A couple of posters used the service and had no specific problems.

Specific advice is available on photos at the following HMPO link.

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Probably much better to have your ducks all nicely lined up in advance - less stress.

HI again :),

Can anyone please confirm that it's still OK to use the shop at "the ground floor of trendy towers on the RHS"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has any body used the Photographic service at Trendy and is it ok to wait till renewal before getting pictures taken there

It's a photo shop at the ground floor of trendy towers on the RHS as you go in, nothing to do with trendy/HMPO.

Probably much better to have your ducks all nicely lined up in advance - less stress.

HI again smile.png,

Can anyone please confirm that it's still OK to use the shop at "the ground floor of trendy towers on the RHS"

Thanks smile.png

Again, why leave it to the last minute and chance?

Surely it is much better to get this important matter properly sorted prior to you visit.

The photo shop in trendy towers is nothing to do with trendy or HMPO, they just happen to be in the same building.

• Like 1

If it's any help for folks who use Khon Kaen immi I called them and they don't need a letter from the embassy confirming your new passport when you transfer your extension stamp from old to.new passport

Same for Kap Choeng (Buriram/Surin)

So trendy only cut the corners when you get your new passport even though you cannot use your old passport when renewing

They not cut the corner when you first apply

Correct - you can still use your passport internally for ID purposes, it is not physically marked in any way at application.

A number of posters have made fresh extension applications and 90 day reports with their existing passports after the application has been made at trendy.

Some have reported successfully crossing borders as well, but this is specifically advised against.

You are warned by HMPO that you cannot travel internationally with your existing passport, once your application is filed.

HMPO Website:

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Yeah I made my 90 day report in my old passport after I had started the application for my new passport.

I always traveled by air domestically 5/6 times with no problems.

As one who tested the system I can categorically confirm that neither Thai nor Cambodia immigration are in anyway linked to the UK passport system.

You are clear to use your 'cancelled passport' for the duration of the previous validity date (subject to passport capacity). I am not sure why why anyone would actually wish to do that - I did it simply as an exercise to test my theory and I had my new passport in my pocket just in case. What my exercise did was to reassure a few people that could still travel while they waited for their new passport to arrive. I know 4 people who successfully did this,

Note - once you use a new passport that becomes logged on the Thai system and you can longer use the old one (again - not sure that there would be any reason to).

• Like 1

Correct - you can still use your passport internally for ID purposes, it is not physically marked in any way at application.

A number of posters have made fresh extension applications and 90 day reports with their existing passports after the application has been made at trendy.

Some have reported successfully crossing borders as well, but this is specifically advised against.

You are warned by HMPO that you cannot travel internationally with your existing passport, once your application is filed.

Yeah I made my 90 day report in my old passport after I had started the application for my new passport.

As one who tested the system I can categorically confirm that neither Thai nor Cambodia immigration are in anyway linked to the UK passport system.

You are clear to use your 'cancelled passport' for the duration of the previous validity date (subject to passport capacity). I am not sure why why anyone would actually wish to do that - I did it simply as an exercise to test my theory and I had my new passport in my pocket just in case. What my exercise did was to reassure a few people that could still travel while they waited for their new passport to arrive. I know 4 people who successfully did this,

Note - once you use a new passport that becomes logged on the Thai system and you can longer use the old one (again - not sure that there would be any reason to).

Agreed that it is proven to be possible, question is why do HMPO specifically state that you cannot use your passport for international travel after your passport renewal application is made?

HMPO Website:

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Agreed that it is proven to be possible, question is why do HMPO specifically state that you cannot use your passport for international travel after your passport renewal application is made?

HMPO Website:

Don't know. I can only imagine that in the old days the corners were cut off at application stage ?

I am not sure if air travel would be any different - no reason why it should be.

What is important is that, whatever crap HMPO put on their website, anyone caught up in these diabolical delays CAN still travel - at least to neighbouring countries. If someone wants to try further afield.................

• Like 2

HI again smile.png,

Thanks smile.png

Surely it is much better to get this important matter properly sorted prior to you visit.

The photo shop in trendy towers is nothing to do with trendy or HMPO, they just happen to be in the same building.

yes I agree about having photos before but I would guess that they might do more photos for passports than a shop in some of the small towns in Thailand and also the E-Mail reply confirming your appointment tells you they are there if you need to use them so I would think they would be ok

• Like 1

HMPO Website:

Don't know. I can only imagine that in the old days the corners were cut off at application stage ?

I am not sure if air travel would be any different - no reason why it should be.

What is important is that, whatever crap HMPO put on their website, anyone caught up in these diabolical delays CAN still travel - at least to neighbouring countries. If someone wants to try further afield.................

Agreed the ability to cross borders on a cancelled UK passport is of great value to overseas citizens, given the ridiculously long delays HMPO are producing.

Certainly corners were not cut off at application time 10 years ago - although then the renewal process only took around a week or so as the passports were produced locally and issued direct by the Foreign Office (FCO).

As you state, there are no reports to date of any one trying to fly on a UK passport, once the renewal application had been made.

No matter how incompetent HMPO may be, why would they write that the passport should not be used, if it had no significance or purpose?

HI again smile.png,

Thanks smile.png

Thanks digitalchromakey, smile.png Absolutely smile.png I was planning on going there 1 day before the appointment (I am yet to ask for an appointment, just collecting all the documents) for

1. Photos - they at Ground floor Trendy, might have a higher success rate than if I were to take photos from a shop here in Chiang Mai

2. Translations (Letter from my language school- Ed visa School smile.png + Residence certificate)

Thanks again smile.png

Jack

Edited by falangUK

Thanks digitalchromakey, smile.png Absolutely smile.png I was planning on going there 1 day before the appointment (I am yet to ask for an appointment, just collecting all the documents) for

1. Photos - they at Ground floor Trendy, might have a higher success rate than if I were to take photos from a shop here in Chiang Mai

2. Translations (Letter from my language school- Ed visa School smile.png + Residence certificate)

Thanks again smile.png

Jack

Huh .. You attend a language school and you are paying for something translated ??

Why not get a letter on headed notepaper in English from the school saying Mr. Faranguk is studying Thai at are great school from x until y dates, we can confirm he lives at z, best regards Ed-visa language school .. Then get it stamped by the school with one of those stamps Thai companies love:

Job done and a lot cheaper than a translation service.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quote (to many quotes 4 is the max)
  • Like 1

Thanks again smile.png

Jack

Huh .. You attend a language school and you are paying for something translated ??

Why not get a letter on headed notepaper in English from the school saying Mr. Faranguk is studying Thai at are great school from x until y dates, we can confirm he lives at z, best regards Ed-visa language school .. Then get it stamped by the school with one of those stamps Thai companies love:

Job done and a lot cheaper than a translation service.

LOL :) Thanks recom273 :)

That's exactly what I was thinking :), they issued the letter in 2 stages

1. without my address in it :(, letter is in Thai

2. with my address but the letter is still in Thai

the next step will be to get a letter as you have suggested in English

so this is a Kaizen process :)

You attend a language school and you are paying for something translated ??

LOL, have you met anyone from Walan School of .... ? I joined (Not walen!) 2 months ago, some of my classmates are still struggling with the Thai alphabet (reading level 1, even though we are studying at Level 8) after 2 years of studying :).

I could translate but I will have to forge the Beautiful official stamp :) so I am going to chat the principal up again this time, anyway she was so nice about the previous 2 letters :)

Emailed the appointments Coldline, hopefully I will get an appointment some time next week :)

I got my photos done in the Digital Photo shop on the 3rd floor of the Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai, near the 3BB shop. The guy has a selection of photo sizes to choose from and a ruler so that you can measure them to see which one will satisfy HMPO. He asked if I wanted the photo photoshopped, and I said no and I chose the white background. 70 Baht for 4 photos. Accepted in Liverpool.

• Like 1