'Earliest date for election in Feb 2016'

Lite Beer

So either the general was lying to world leaders that Thailand would return to democracy by mid 2015 or this bloke is undermining the generals intentions.

He wonders why he has so many critics and then lashes out with a temper tantrum when someone even dares bring his actions to account.

The bald face grab for power and the continuation of martial law will only further the impact on the economy Thailands reputation as a top tourist destination.

There's no real problem with a delay if it's for genuine reasons related to getting things done properly rather than just holding on to power. The problem is we don't know the reason or, at the moment how long the delay will be.

I don't think a sudden change from military to civilian government is a good idea. There needs to be a gradual change starting now. Much good work has been done but it's undermined by the continuing lack of acceptance of criticism and the lack of balance in the bodies in place at the moment.

Hmmm... but a sudden change from civilian to military rule is OK?.........

I never said that and it's a very different situation for several reasons. It's not the topic in question which is why I didn't mention it and since it's already happened it would be pointless discussing how it should be done. I don't see how it could have been done gradually anyway. The change to military rule isn't satisfactory however quickly or slowly it takes place and if the general is to be believed it isn't intended to be long term in the way that democratic rule is when it happens. It will come eventually one way or another.

There are good reasons to take time to get things right before elections take place but there needs to be input from those who will be most affected by the preparations so that there is as much support as possible for the changes.

Hmmm,,, Ferdinand Marcos, Imelda Marcos, Rooms full of shoes, masses of gold, Personal wealth family and friends amass wealth, no elections, stop asking questions politically motivated court cases, media censorship, Human rights,,,,,,,,,,

Think we've seen this before.

Edited by aussieinthailand

Hmmm,,, Ferdinand Marcos, Imelda Marcos, Rooms full of shoes, masses of gold, Personal wealth family and friends amass wealth, no elections, stop asking questions politically motivated court cases, media censorship, Human rights,,,,,,,,,,

Wasn't Marcos elected? That would put in same category as Thaksin then, wouldn't it? Putting relatives in important positions. Changing laws to suit your business.

Sommai also assumed the poll would be delayed by at least three months if a public referendum were sought on the charter draft.

But the new constitution was scheduled to be ready by April.... Now September. Nothing stopping them from having the referendum while the other reforms are being completed is there.

What they are not factoring in, is that how long is the delay going to be IF the people reject the charter in a referendum?.... and what if the people continuously reject each new version of the charter??

Also with the new public gathering laws, seems they are going to ban all public protests. One step closer to the PDRK style of 'control'.

That was a problem last time. "If you reject this then that will delay elections".

What's the point in having a referendum on the constitution? If it gets rejected, then what?

Just let the peoples council decide. Or the general can simply give it the nod, he has the power.

Avoids having to get the ignorant unwashed involved.

The peoples council, A very fair and unbiased , and non politically motivated pack huh...

And please inform us as to whom you mean as " the ignorant unwashed "

Just let the peoples council decide. Or the general can simply give it the nod, he has the power.

Avoids having to get the ignorant unwashed involved.

The peoples council, A very fair and unbiased , and non politically motivated pack huh...

And please inform us as to whom you mean as " the ignorant unwashed "

I'm pretty sure "Thailand" was being sarcastic.

Wasn't Marcos elected? That would put in same category as Thaksin then, wouldn't it? Putting relatives in important positions. Changing laws to suit your business.

OK I show you so you can catch up popit.

Marcos ruled under martial law for 9 years.

He his wife family and friends massed incredible wealth and didn't like to answer questions about it.

people that disagreed with him were re educated and had attitude adjustments.

He claimed he he was saving the nation.

didn't like to talk about elections.

Please inform us in the last century, of any successfully run nation that operated under marital law that was: transparent, unbiased, lawful, non politically motivated, economically viable, un censored, in line with human rights etc,etc,etc.

Good luck with thatw00t.gif

some people can't see the forest from the trees.

• Like 1

Govt: Next election likely during February-March 2016

e.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 December 2014 (NNT) - The deputy premier in charge of legal affairs expects the next general election to take place in early 2016.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, he believes the drafting of the new Constitution will likely be completed in September 2015, and three more months should be needed for the drafting of organic laws.

Mr. Wissanu expects the latter process to be underway from October to November 2015 in order for the Election Commission to work on the next poll, which should take place during February and March 2016.

When asked about the suggestion of the inclusion of political amnesty in the new charter, the DPM said that there is not any certainty in such an issue, as a pardon for corrupt individuals may lead members of the public to come out to show their opposition.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-01 footer_n.gif

He his wife family and friends massed incredible wealth and didn't like to answer questions about it.

Please inform us in the last century, of any successfully run nation that operated under marital law that was: transparent, unbiased, lawful, non politically motivated, economically viable, un censored, in line with human rights etc,etc,etc.

Well, this country has been under martial law for 6 months with elections planned in 12-18 months. There is currently no evidence of the general or his wife amassing great wealth.

This isn't a successfully run nation. It is a country run by an appointed government. Comparing it to a country where an elected leader who became a dictator. Comparing the two at this stage reeks of someone who simply can't see anything let alone the forest or the trees.

So either the general was lying to world leaders that Thailand would return to democracy by mid 2015 or this bloke is undermining the generals intentions.

He wonders why he has so many critics and then lashes out with a temper tantrum when someone even dares bring his actions to account.

The bald face grab for power and the continuation of martial law will only further the impact on the economy Thailands reputation as a top tourist destination.

There's no real problem with a delay if it's for genuine reasons related to getting things done properly rather than just holding on to power. The problem is we don't know the reason or, at the moment how long the delay will be.

I don't think a sudden change from military to civilian government is a good idea. There needs to be a gradual change starting now. Much good work has been done but it's undermined by the continuing lack of acceptance of criticism and the lack of balance in the bodies in place at the moment.

Hmmm... but a sudden change from civilian to military rule is OK?.........

I never said that and it's a very different situation for several reasons. It's not the topic in question which is why I didn't mention it and since it's already happened it would be pointless discussing how it should be done. I don't see how it could have been done gradually anyway. The change to military rule isn't satisfactory however quickly or slowly it takes place and if the general is to be believed it isn't intended to be long term in the way that democratic rule is when it happens. It will come eventually one way or another.

There are good reasons to take time to get things right before elections take place but there needs to be input from those who will be most affected by the preparations so that there is as much support as possible for the changes.

"...if the general is to be believed..."

Is he?

Well, this country has been under martial law for 6 months with elections planned in 12-18 months. There is currently no evidence of the general or his wife amassing great wealth.

This isn't a successfully run nation. It is a country run by an appointed government. Comparing it to a country where an elected leader who became a dictator. Comparing the two at this stage reeks of someone who simply can't see anything let alone the forest or the trees.

"There is currently no evidence of the general or his wife amassing great wealth."

Right, and we're unlikely to see such evidence while the general is in charge:

"A few days ago, Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency. He reportedly said, “I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing. My government is here today to solve problems. I have so many burdens on my shoulder. ...But the media has tried to dig up many issues. So have some politicians. I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.”"

"But the case of Prayuth’s brother exposed the fact that military and political officials are equally sullied in corruption in Thailand. The only difference is that under military rule, requests for transparency and good governance often fall on deft ears." http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/