Some do's and don'ts for cellphone users

Lite Beer

Common sight when in public buses and train some people just ignore others by blocking access of door by just playing with phone, that is not Thai culture where people which is caring with handphone they contain themselves in cyber world which ignore other existance.

RIP. Thais are in the lowest ranks of multi-tasking. Even lower on task-switching.

Sadly, though fortunately, she strengthened the gene pool.

I read recently that in the USA, texting while driving is the 2nd biggest cause of fatal road accidents amongst teenagers.

The annoying 'must call' mobile phone users are restricted on trains in some Australian states; about 50% of each train is designated as a 'quiet zone'.

On a few occasions, I've stood still on a footpath, as a texter blindly walked into me. I can see why such people sometimes take an unexpected swim in the moat.

It all boils down to education and enforcement as far as motor cyclists and drivers are concerned. The hip pocket is the best place to start, not a gentle tap on the wrist..

As this is about "do's and don'ts" I think some are missing

- don't throw your phone on the floor when you disagree with whoever you are talking with

- do speak loud enough to drown out the noise of other people talking

There's a few more missing too, but I wouldn't venture to put my phone there. I believe a few hospitals worldwide (more than a few, actually) have had to spend considerable time removing them too! Is there a warning against this usage in the user manual? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

what amazes me are the bike riders that try to use them while riding with the wind whistling past their ears and their heads angled trying to stop it so they are not looking at the road at all, I drive close to them then hold the horn on so they cant hear a thing on the phone and absolutely sh*t themselves. It would seem the being stupid is a pre-requisite for all the mobile users here as most tend to become totally ignorant/stop thinking as soon as they hold it in their hands.

"...I drive close to them then hold the horn on so they cant hear a thing on the phone and absolutely sh*t themselves. It would seem the being stupid is a pre-requisite...

Your action qualifies for that prerequisite just as much, probably more.

• Like 1

Common sight when in public buses and train some people just ignore others by blocking access of door by just playing with phone, that is not Thai culture where people which is caring with handphone they contain themselves in cyber world which ignore other existance.

Grown accustomed to people in the west being absorbed with their cell phones while driving, inline or ordering but really does seem here to be strange places where some people choose to stop and make calls such as the entrance to stairs, middle of sidewalk or anywhere else that impedes others from moving rather than stepping to the side ... interesting it is not just locals as I see farangs doing the same thing here too.

Probably more to do with an age thing of younger folks coming to expect and rely (emotionally) on instant communications. Not like anything has become more urgent, just people are less patient and believe just because you can communicate now doesn't mean you need or should.

I love it when they block doorways of walk slowly on the sidewalk, gives me a good chance to practice kicking ankles or nailing them with the baby stroller, might not be nice of me but it always makes me smile smile.png

....hahaha...personally I prefer the "accidental" shoulder charge....can be used on cellphone users blocking doorways on trains/buses/shops...and can also be used with great effect...when getting off a bus...and having your exit blocked by those wanting to get on (my pet hate).....but don't forget that after the "accidental" shoulder charge say "sorry"...as you rapidly depart the scene

the 'common sense ' thing to do would be to promote blue tooth , , i see so many people driving mega buck merc's, bmw talking on expensive phones but haven't a clue how to use or even aware that Bluetooth.is very available. even for older cars adapters are very cheap to buy

the same fools that don't have car seats for their infants, and seat belts fastened for kids

you can see them on parade every day dropping their children off at the international schools .

what amazes me are the bike riders that try to use them while riding with the wind whistling past their ears and their heads angled trying to stop it so they are not looking at the road at all, I drive close to them then hold the horn on so they cant hear a thing on the phone and absolutely sh*t themselves. It would seem the being stupid is a pre-requisite for all the mobile users here as most tend to become totally ignorant/stop thinking as soon as they hold it in their hands.

So you pull up alongside a bike rider trying to use his mobile as if thats not stupid enough you use your horn to scare or startle and you dont think thats an extremely dangerous and totally irresponsible thing to do ?

I get your idea but really m8 your just making the road a more dangerous place by doing something like that to an idiot who is already not in full control of a vehicle.

Better to get past people like that as soon as possible and let natural selection deal with it or the RTP

A lot depends on the type of phone, the time of day and where you use it. For example posing with a smartphone at night in Salford UK is liable to get one killed or mugged at the very least. To the thief, a person holding a smartphone is just like a person holding a wad of banknotes.

There is a lot to be said for owning a "party phone". This is a phone that is so cheap and basic that it doesn't matter if it gets lost or stolen. Take care!

I agree.

There is something about Thai people and their relationship with electronic devises.

Without exception, every Thai person I know is totally unaware of anything going on around them, including someone talking to them, if they are watching a television.

If the house was burning down, you would need to pick them up and carry them out.

And their eyes would still be glued to the set as you carried them out!

The Lycra clad aggressive London bike riders are surely the worlds worst. They have expensive looking racing bikes and they overtake motor vehicles on both sides. If the opposite side of the vehicle appears to have better possibilities for avoiding congestion they will cut across the front of it narrowly escaping going underneath it. Most of these riders must either be maniacs or persons who get a thrill out of playing chicken. The amazing thing is how few get killed. Some do get their Darwin Awards of course but with the antics that I have seen I would expect at least a dozen Darwin Awards per week. There are crazy people everywhere.

As this is about "do's and don'ts" I think some are missing

- don't throw your phone on the floor when you disagree with whoever you are talking with

- do speak loud enough to drown out the noise of other people talking

Don't leave your iPhone 5 with a tempered glass screen protector on the dashboard thinking it's not that hot!!

I now have a phone that's got a lovely bevel and held together with elastic bands till I get some super glue to fix the damn thing !!