I think that the whole of the Thai system of issuing visas is going to change soon. And Thailand will follow the more normal procedures as in other countries. Visa runs are quite unique to Thailand and really don't make much sense. The biggest advantage of living in Thailand as a tourist and doing 'visa runs' is that no income tax is payable. Most other countries make you pay a full years income tax if you spend more than a total of 180 days in the country.

I think what will happen is that it may become easier to get visas for longer stays and also multiple entry visas. But the immigraation computers will show how many days you have been in Thailand in the last year and you will have to pay tax if you have spent more that 180 days in the country.

Many countries tax you on your world income and some tax you on only the money you bring into the country. So be warned, I'm sure that this tax free living will not go on forever!

I was extremely intrigued by your prophecy, so I consulted with the best known source of totally reliable information on these matters:

The All-Knowing, All-Seeing Magic 8 Ball

8ball.jpg

and posed the following question:

"Will the visa system change within the foreseeable future as Tony Hienekey describes and predicts?"

I duly turned the Magic 8 Ball over to find the unquestionably truthful and supremely accurate answer and this is what it said:

magic4.jpg

Terribly sorry to disappoint, but it never hurts to verify claims with the go-to reference.

Edited by sriracha john

I was extremely intrigued by your prophecy, so I consulted with the best known source of totally reliable information on these matters:

8ball.jpg

You disappoint me, SJ. I thought you would at least have a genuine crystal ball. However, yours seems to be doing the job just as well.

Oh, and thanks, SJ, for having double-checked on Tony’s prophecy. A second opinion is always a good thing, and I put my money on yours.

---------------

Maestro

8ball.jpg

You disappoint me, SJ. I thought you would at least have a genuine crystal ball. However, yours seems to be doing the job just as well.

Oh, and thanks, SJ, for having double-checked on Tony’s prophecy. A second opinion is always a good thing, and I put my money on yours.

---------------

Maestro

Thank you.

I looked into getting a crystal ball, but the Import Tax on one is prohibitively high... but have found the 8 ball to be equally reliable.

I am not sure why you think that there is a link between Visas and Tax.

In fact that position in Thailand is that you are require to file a Thai tax return if you are in the country for more at least 183 day during a tax year (I know most people do not). One of the big differences from many countries is that investment income earned outside Thailand is not subject to Thai tax.