Yamaha YBR250

ttakata

This was supposed to be on sale in 2014 but 1 year later.....

Seems like a success waiting to happen in this local market.

It's not particularly attractive or super ugly but reckon it would come in at a price people would love for touring or even as a workhorse delivering goods.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/pdf/yamaha_YBR250.pdf

http://www.thaimocyc.com/yamaha-ybr250-%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7/

It's doubtful Yamaha follows this forum but you never know.

I also think the Honda VTR250 would sell well as it would fit nicely in the marketspace between a MSX125 and Ducati Monster.

I'm surprised Thailand has so many bike choices now and more coming.

So I'm just trying to get more small bikes to be sold in our market, haha.

With the air-cooled 250cc single and kinda ugly looks it reminds me of the Tiger Boxer...but being a Yamaha probably should be pretty good kit.

A bit more torque and a bit less HP than the CBR 250R would probably make for an interesting bike. It is quite heavy at 175 kg though isn't it?

i had a yamaha ybr125 once and it was a bulletproof economic bike to commute and yes, to deliver goods.

I am sure this one will be a great workhorse for the masses provided that the price is reasonable below 100 k THB.

it has low tech sohc two valve engine but god for low down torque of course.

19 liters of fuel tank is great for such a bike and i assume some of the excess weight is coming from that.

drum rear brake is the worst part of the bike IMO.

Edited by ll2

i had a yamaha ybr125 once and it was a bulletproof economic bike to commute and yes, to deliver goods.

I am sure this one will be a great workhorse for the masses provided that the price is reasonable below 100 k THB.

Why?

The snarky retort is "it probably doesn't get going fast enough to require anything more", but the fact probably is that a drum brake will work just fine. The biggest trucks use drum brakes, and properly setup they work just fine for the rear. Of course you will have to be taking up slack every so often...but that's not too hard is it?

Why?

The snarky retort is "it probably doesn't get going fast enough to require anything more", but the fact probably is that a drum brake will work just fine. The biggest trucks use drum brakes, and properly setup they work just fine for the rear. Of course you will have to be taking up slack every so often...but that's not too hard is it?

sure it works for this bike so yamaha engineers put one - most probably by the force of the accountants though!

still i dont prefer technologically inferior systems on my bike but that is just me.

Edited by ll2

Drum breaks are self adjustable, if they resemble the car drums at all, that's it.

With a self adjusting system, you need enough play/slack to engage the ratcheting "clicker". Too much pedal play for a bike. It takes about 8 seconds to turn a wingnut. My killer Norton 750 Commando "S", from about 1971, would do 127 mph, never had a brake problem, and had drum front and rear. The front was one of those two-cam linked by a rod affairs. Lovely. I miss my Norton!

Don't see what this bike has over a Kawa Z250 or a Honda CB300f, Is it significantly cheaper? If not I would pass.

if they sell it for 90 - 95 k thb maybe it might have a chance. looks not bad apart from round headlight and rear drum brake.

possible to convert drum with a disc brake actually - and also round headlight with a rectangular one.

it reminds me the great time i had on my yamaha ybr125 loong time ago.

sure it works for this bike so yamaha engineers put one - most probably by the force of the accountants though!

still i dont prefer technologically inferior systems on my bike but that is just me.

Your bikes include direct injection? Traction control? Stability control? Top shelf suspension and brakes?

Everyone has to make compromises for technology unless they don't mind paying insane amounts of money.

• Like 1

Your bikes include direct injection? Traction control? Stability control? Top shelf suspension and brakes?

Everyone has to make compromises for technology unless they don't mind paying insane amounts of money.

yeah i know dave!

my bikes does not have them but does not have a drum rear brake in soon to be 2015!

it just shows the bike slow and no way it can perform like a disc brake. many sure prefer to pay 2000 thb more to have a disc brake.

do you make any compromise on your rear brake for 2000 thb?

yeah i know dave!

my bikes does not have them but does not have a drum rear brake in soon to be 2015!

it just shows the bike slow and no way it can perform like a disc brake. many sure prefer to pay 2000 thb more to have a disc brake.

do you make any compromise on your rear brake for 2000 thb?

If I was interested in going down to the 250cc class and the YBR250 appealed to me, than the rear disc would not bother me. Hell, if the SR400 wasn't so expensive I'd be interested in that; the rear drum is actually a selling point to me on that bike because it fits the character.

• Like 1

If I was interested in going down to the 250cc class and the YBR250 appealed to me, than the rear disc would not bother me. Hell, if the SR400 wasn't so expensive I'd be interested in that; the rear drum is actually a selling point to me on that bike because it fits the character.

Not just the character. All the bikes I can remember riding since my H1 would lock the rear wheel with a drum brake.

As the stopping distance increases with a locked wheel, can not see how a disc would improve this situation.

In racing, another matter. Using the brakes more, like dragging the rear brake to set up for a corner. In this situation a disc is clearly superior, if only for the quicker cool down.

For a street bike not necessary. Looks good, but not any safer. If it was, the product liability lawyers would have the manufacturers use them to decrease lawsuits.

More a style thing - looks racy.

• Like 1