Downloading Potplayer

chiangrai

Hi,

I got into a mess last night when trying to download and instal PotPlayer.

I downloaded from the original site first but it wouldn't install.

Than I downloaded from Softonic and my computer went really slow.

I checked Rovo uninstaler and it said I had Softonic assistant,daum potplayer and Baindu antivirus.

I uninstalled these with Revo and my computer speeded up but they are stil shown on revo only now they all have the same logo.

So I need some help 1-- with getting rid of these traces from my Revo and

2--finding the right place to download Potplayer.

I have also tried systems restore but no luck there.

I use windows 8.1,64 bit with firefox,firefox

After the initial unistall with Revo,did you click back and

then clear everything in Advanced mode on Revo ?.

In my opinion I don't think Softonic is a good site to

download anything from,I use Snapfiles,MajorGeeks,

and never have had a problem,I also scan any file

before opening it,and check carefully if they offer to

add anything I dont want,on install.

regards Worgeordie

I've had problems downloading/installing from the main site. It starts off downloading normally then jumps to the end. Consequently when you try to install it there's an integrity check error or something like that.

Have a look here. This site has the latest plus previous versions :-

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer/old-versions#download

From my own experience Revo did not uninstall Baindu - I had to go to Windows uninstall and then run CCleaner to get rid of some leftovers.

You can then search for Baindu and delete anything you find. thumbsup.gif

Revo has an install monitoring feature that will easily let you uninstall anything you don't want to keep. I always use it when trying out new programs, if I don't like it just click on the uninstall under the "Traced Programs" tag.

Right clicking on any program you want to install will give a drop down menu with install with Revo option.

As "Worgeordie" said Softonic is not a good site to download from anymore. Unfortunately a lot of what used to be good sites now feel the need to add a lot of Crapware to their downloads.

Scanning a file for virus's before opening is a good idea but stuff like Baindu are just intrusive Crapware not strictly a virus so won't be detected.

Downloading programs from the original site is best though this is not always easy to actually find. A couple of sites like Snapfiles, MajorGeeks, still seem to be OK.

Be careful when downloading from some of the 'bad' sites. There will be a large "Download" button which is tempting to click on. Have a look and see if it says anything in very small print about download manager or the like. Keep away from that and look for "direct download" again in very small print, that should get you the file you want without all the Crap.

Once you have the file downloaded, be careful when you come to run it. Check very carefully through the install pages and don't just click merrily away.

If there is an option for something like "typical/fast/easy Recommended" install - forget it. Go to the "Expert/Advanced" button this will give you the option NOT to install the Crap you don't want.

Good Luck

smile.png

O.K,

That's a great help,much apreciated.

I now seem to have only one trace of "softonic assistant" on my Revo program.

It is not showing on my CCleaner or the Windows uninstaler.

When I try to uninstall it with Reve it says "no traces found"

even with the advanced scan and my computer has returned to normal speed.

Maybe I'm being obsevive but I would love to get rid of that icon.

Also both Revo and CCleaner are telling me that they have a new version out

and asking me if I want to updete.

I did this before with another program and they wanted me to pay and wouldn't

let me go back to the free version.

So my two questions are 1--how do I remove the last remaining trace icon

and 2--can I update CCleaner and Revo.

Thanks again

I don't know the software you're un/installing, but I can tell you a few things about Ccleaner.

It doesn't automatically discover all of the settings files for your software. It has some popular stuff that is built in, like browsers (see Applications tab), but I know from my setup that there were things I had to add manually.

You would need to search for folders/directories and files on your own, then manually add the things you want cleaned up to Ccleaner's list (Options->Include).

But it sounds like you just want to get rid of some junk, in which case a manual search and removal may do it all. It probably left some stuff behind in the registry as well, but you have to know what you're doing before fiddling around with it.

One of the reasons doing regular backups is recommended is for these situations, where cr_p is spread all over your system that is nearly impossible to get rid of, in which case you do a restore. This happened to me not long ago when I installed a piece of called Yet Another Cleaner; avoid at all costs, recommend it to someone you hate.

"Chaingrai"

Right click on the Icon you want to get rid off - at the bottom click on "Properties" - "Open File Location" this will take you to the installed file location and look for a file called "unst" or something like that. Running that should uninstall the program. If there is no "unst" file just delete everything there.

If when you right click on the Icon and there is no "Open File Location" button it means the you only have the Icon to worry abut. If it will not delete use a program called "Unlocker" which you can download either from it's home page or FileHippo. http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/#download - http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/download/93ffae8a5bad6c1fd1eed8ad1bfaae10/.

When Installing "Unlocker" Click on "Advanced" and unchek the toolbar, search engine and homepage options. (unless you want them)

CCleaner update are a little sneaky They don't have a free download button - you have to click on the "No Thanks" next to the upgrade to paid version button and this will get you the free download.

Didn't know Revo had a free version. If you create a restore point before updating you shoud be able to go back if the update does not work.

:-)

Edited by Daffy D