Old US Dollars (Series 1988 A) - Can I use these in Laos?

SS1

I'm traveling to Laos in a few days and just found a pile of USD (1, 5, 20 and 50 dollar bills) that are dated either series 1988 A, 1990 or 1996. Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use these bills in Laos? Are they too old? I remember my dad gave them to me a long time ago after traveling to the US.

I need to pay for my bike rental and visa in USD so I was hoping to be able to spend these bills.

They might not be acceptable in Laos, starting at Immigration when paying for your Visa On Arrival. They do like nice new crisp unmarked, unwrinkled and untorn bills. I've had bills that don't meet the criteria rejected.

You might try to exchange your older bills at a bank here in Thailand before your trip.

Mac

Agree....

Never had any luck with old bills....especially at banks, immigration, money exchanges, and upscale hotels. You would be most wise to change that into crispy new 10 and 20 dollar bills. ]

Some places will give you bad rates for single dollar bills. Good advice is only exchange money day to day...not all at once. I got Laos bills I just don't know what to do with. Might never go back....just been there too many times.

• Like 1

Get rid of your old US$ bills asap because old US bills don't age gracefully.

I stopped vacationing in the US a few years ago but kept a few hundred $ in 1, 5, 20 and 50 denomination - just in case !!

Recently I took these bills out of their envelope and was horrified to see that many had browned.

Krung Thai would change only the bills that were still more or less "clean" but were obviously acting reluctantly like they were doing me a favor and not happy at all about the exchange. LOL

I sent the rejected bills by post to a friend in the US and he had no problem changing them at his bank for more decent bills to send back to me.

.......I would make sure that they are not WORTH MORE than face value......

...why not save them and do some research first......

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=1988+dollar+bill&_frs=1

worth checking out...I thought, no way. But it looks like some possibility of a higher value. Heck, go ahead and post them all on E Bay. Some body might just have an itch for a certain series or whatever.

I have learnt myself the hard way travelling around the world with US cash printed before 2003 being declined

or a 20% reduction in exchange rate. Always take the newest most pristine bills available. Now the coloured ones.

Just to many counterfeiting operations around the world. blink.png

whistling.gif After the Shah was overthrown and into the 1980's the Iranian government actively counterfeited U.S. dollars and circulated them in Middle Eastern countries.

Particularly true of 100 dollar and 50 dollar bills.

I have been coming to Bangkok since 1977 at least once every year, and I can remember in the 1980 to 1985 years when U.S. dollar bills were inspected VERY carefully by Thai banks and exchange places..... only a clean and new bill was accepted.

And, even though counterfeiting no longer occurs like it used to, the suspicion is still there.

I know Laos and also Vietnam only want the new ones.