Retirement Extn. – Under Consideration. New Hoops?

The word police are at it again. I'm quite happy to call it a "retirement visa" and will continue to call it that. "a non-immigrant O visa extension based on retirement" sounds a bit OCD to me.

You would continue to be wrong then

Unless it is a very specific question, I repeat a very specific question, about the process to apply for, or obtain a visa or extension to stay - is it really an issue?

The issue under discussion was the question of the "under consideration" and "1000 baht expediting fee".

It is obvious that the OP has been through the process a few times previously and wasn't asking guidance on the actual extension process.

What's next?

An "I landed at Swampy" post followed by a barrage of "No you didn't - you landed at Suvarnabhumi" posts to follow?

Sometimes the unnecessary Visa Police comments drown out the actual point being discussed.

Try to read the context of the post. If a newbie comes along and obviously has it wrong, then by all means point out the error, gently, I might add.

Is it really necessary to do so constantly with the more experienced players?

Totally agree. Sometimes people are afraid to write because of the "word police".

Regarding the OP. I hope CM (Chiang Mai) Immigration does not learn these tricks.

• Like 2

The 30 day under consideration period for a extension based upon retirement is only a policy of Udon immigration and one other office. There are no new rules and am I certain they were not told by army to do it.

You could of gotten a re-entry permit for the 30 days.

I renewed in UTH in October, the 'consideration period' was one week, is the OP sure it was one month? In other words, I dropped off the application and a week later, I got my visa, plus the multiple re-entry visa I requested, all very simple and straight forward. Yes, I was also offered the 'express service' but at a substantially higher fee (much more than Baht 1,000)...

The 30 day under consideration period for a extension based upon retirement is only a policy of Udon immigration and one other office. There are no new rules and am I certain they were not told by army to do it.

You could of gotten a re-entry permit for the 30 days.

I renewed in UTH in October, the 'consideration period' was one week, is the OP sure it was one month? In other words, I dropped off the application and a week later, I got my visa, plus the multiple re-entry visa I requested, all very simple and straight forward. Yes, I was also offered the 'express service' but at a substantially higher fee (much more than Baht 1,000)...

If you look at the OP's photo of his passport page, you will see the under consideration period is 30 days.

Seems to me like there are plenty of big noters on here berating the OP for paying tea money. Wonder how many of them have been confronted with such a situation and what they would really do.

When you front up at the office and they ask for more papers or say it has to go to Bangkok how do you know its bullshit or not? even if you know, how many of you really have the guts to speak up and face problems with your visa for the rest of your time in Thailand. I'm thinking not many.

How many havent paid tea money to the traffic cops I'm venturing not many.

Its all well and good being high and mighty but what happens when its your turn.

i fronted up after an attempted "express service" scam. IO backed down, even complained to our witness (marriage visa) but we held fast.

been back for 2 more extensions at the same office since then and service has been good and fast. if anything it feels like we have been marked as "not bother" rather than "make problem"

i've heard similar.

Edited by ColdSingha
  • Like 1

Seems to me like there are plenty of big noters on here berating the OP for paying tea money. Wonder how many of them have been confronted with such a situation and what they would really do.

When you front up at the office and they ask for more papers or say it has to go to Bangkok how do you know its bullshit or not? even if you know, how many of you really have the guts to speak up and face problems with your visa for the rest of your time in Thailand. I'm thinking not many.

Its all well and good being high and mighty but what happens when its your turn.

i fronted up after an attempted "express service" scam. IO backed down, even complained to our witness (marriage visa) but we held fast.

been back for 2 more extensions at the same office since then and service has been good and fast. if anything it feels like we have been marked as "not bother" rather than "make problem"

i've heard similar.

Which immigration office is this?

you gave into a corruption scam, shame on you, why are people so gutless? you should have reported her.

Come on mate, they have us firmly by the nuts and they know it. As for "you should have reported her"...do you really think for one minute that her boss is going to take sides with a farang against one of his own? Sorry but it just don't work that way in LOS.

Not always, for example someone tried to charge 3,000 instead of 1,900 in Jomtien, foreigner refused and asked to escalate, result change of clerk, paid 1,900, extension issued.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763503-30-day-extension-at-jomtien/

Edited by paz

you gave into a corruption scam, shame on you, why are people so gutless? you should have reported her.

I'm guessing you don't live here!

Only for 8 years and coming for 20 but never once paid a bribe and never ever will. To do so for your personal convience is to condone and encourage it

Unless TV has become exclusive to faranges,.... other than the 3 musketeers jacky, not everybody finds it convenient when someone else picks the time and place for it over a thousand. There are some who really do think first.

What?

You want the guy deported, or at the very least denied extension forever?

Actually reporting petty corruption doesn't cause anything of that. But keep paying up if it makes you feel good.

What?

You want the guy deported, or at the very least denied extension forever?

Actually reporting petty corruption doesn't cause anything of that. But keep paying up if it makes you feel good.

Really..? Have you done some reporting on corruption here? You must have, cos how else would you know what the consequences of such action could be?

So maybe you would share the details of your reporting a corrupt goverment official, please? No need to list them all, just one episode, please?

Really..? Have you done some reporting on corruption here? You must have, cos how else would you know what the consequences of such action could be?

So maybe you would share the details of your reporting a corrupt goverment official, please? No need to list them all, just one episode, please?

No problem, got your point, keep shaking,

i've heard similar.

Well done! The OP had immediate travel plans and couldn't take any chances.

she replied since August, the army have instructed us to do it this way!

She then tells me, through TW, she can expedite under consideration for 1000 Baht.

That is, the army told her, gouge out one grand whenever possible.

sounds like local gouge to me. in my case the man said that he did not have any "small Money"! told him to keep the change and but lunch. it was a three hundred baht tip. if you are moving before next year you can complain to the head man, may or may not do any good, either way if you do that don't go back there!

Simple economics tells you to get small change before you deal with govt.offices,taxis,bars etc.I find most places are honest,but don't present the opportunity.Up to you to give 300 baht tip then.I would have had lunch with him,quick wai and off.

You want it NOW, or maybe NEVER? Sometimes, if you need to get on down the road, you have to grease the skids. "Make a problem" and they will remember you always. And not in a good way.

OP was correct in his actions.

Corruption is never correct.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you don't live here!

I live here and I know that if corrupted officers are getting away with it, soon it won't just be 2 offices doing but the all country

Pay it, don't pay it - makes no difference. Corruption is already well established in "all country". Under the circumstances I would have paid it too. Most of us are here to retire and relax, and not on a crusade to do the impossible.

Then you are part of the problem,and in some western countries it is a crime to pay a bribe,overseas.So you are advocating breaking the law in 2 countries,maybe,just because you want to relax.Your balls may have shrivalled but you still got em,haven't you.

• Like 2

By the way, being asked money to be given something that is your right to have is straight extortion, not corruption.

In my country, that has a long history of corruption, we also have a special legal term to describe it. It is derived from the Latin for "shaking".

Edited by paz

I have paid a fine to police for my wrong doing,they have never asked for money for something i didn't do.If they did,down the police station we would go.What happens to money after is not my concern.As i have said before,this is a top up of their meagre wages and condoned by the govt.

And continue jumping through hoops to find the continually moving goal posts. Yep that's me, a gutless payer of corruption. I've got the ending I wanted but you would prefer I be a marked man for the rest of my Thai life.annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG Do you honestly think I would have received my extension after the consideration period if I had kicked up a stink?

you done right giving her 1,000bht.just remember next extension have 2,000bht.in an envelope ready.giggle.gif

Exactly,what are you gunna do when they hit you up for 10k,you gunna complain then?

In Samui we have endured a long history with this problem. Just search "Samui Immigration" on TV and you will find endless pages. It started with 5K for the 1900 extension and then escalated to 30K in some cases. We complained en masse to our embassies, BKIO, and local consuls, until they finally erected a large sign showing all the correct fees. What most of us do now is hand in all the appropriate documents with copies and pictures along with an envelope containing the 1900B. And, yes, I have been asked at least three times before for 5K and I just stood there and smiled until they eventually handed over my stamped passport. If you have all the correct paperwork, according to their regulations, then just stand your ground.

• Like 2

can you get a clarification from the main office in BKK , I do not know the rules maybe local offices can make rules to suit themselves but if that is not policy then the clarification from BKK may help? I don't know.

Pay it, don't pay it - makes no difference. Corruption is already well established in "all country". Under the circumstances I would have paid it too. Most of us are here to retire and relax, and not on a crusade to do the impossible.

Then you are part of the problem,and in some western countries it is a crime to pay a bribe,overseas.So you are advocating breaking the law in 2 countries,maybe,just because you want to relax.Your balls may have shrivalled but you still got em,haven't you.

LOL. You are very confused and seem very naive...Immigration asked for an extra fee to expedite a visa extension application - If anyone is breaking the law it is them. The payment was not offered therefore it wasn't a bribe, but an additional fee requested by an immigration official.

And continue jumping through hoops to find the continually moving goal posts. Yep that's me, a gutless payer of corruption. I've got the ending I wanted but you would prefer I be a marked man for the rest of my Thai life.annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG Do you honestly think I would have received my extension after the consideration period if I had kicked up a stink?

you done right giving her 1,000bht.just remember next extension have 2,000bht.in an envelope ready.giggle.gif

Exactly,what are you gunna do when they hit you up for 10k,you gunna complain then?

Probably, and find another country to retire in.

You missed the point. The OP was in a hurry as he had travel plans.

In October I was given a one month extension as and told to come back. Reason given to me was that ranking person was not available to sign. Returned in one month, showed payment receipt, picked up new extension based on retirement and got a reentry permit. Only disadvantage was making a second trip to Udon Thani from NongBuaLamPhu.

Always something one needs to keep in the back of the mind!

Edited by fishhooks

The word police are at it again. I'm quite happy to call it a "retirement visa" and will continue to call it that. "a non-immigrant O visa extension based on retirement" sounds a bit OCD to me.

Just as you are quite happy to call an apple an "orange" I have no doubt - on the grounds that an "apple" also sounds a bit OCD (whatever that's supposed to mean) to you.

Just as you are quite happy to call an apple an "orange" I have no doubt - on the grounds that an "apple" also sounds a bit OCD (whatever that's supposed to mean) to you.

It is still an apple, and everyone on this forum knows what you mean if you say retirement visa or marriage visa it is not apples and oranges, why do all the barbs come out when people mention retirement visa instead of all the non imm O stuff, please get over it