Thai economy sees recovery in 2015

webfact

12-31-2014-10-39-45-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai economy will see gradual recovery next year as there is positive sign of consumption in the private sector and government investment, according to the Bank of Thailand (BoT).

The central bank’s senior director for Macroeconomic and Monetary Policies Department Ms Roong Mallikamas said next year’s economy would see positive signs in consumption and investment in the private sector and government.

Both factors would strengthen the national economy next year, she said.

She also forecast recovery in the consumption of durable goods such as automobiles, homes and electrical appliances.

According to Ms Roong investment in the private sector in November increased by 1.4% from October in machinery and equipment, including investment in 3G mobile phone networks.

In addition, new property development projects raised investment in construction.

In November, the value of Thai export dropped by 1.8% from October because of economic slowdowns in trading partners including China, Japan and European countries.

The prices of some exports also fell due to the lower oil price, and the value of exports in October rose by 4.1% from the previous month.

Thailand’s exports grew more slowly than that of other countries in the region.

The value of imports declined by 4.2% as crude oil price decreased.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-economy-sees-recovery-2015

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-31

"Thai economy will see gradual recovery next year as there is positive sign of consumption in the private sector and government investment, according to the Bank of Thailand (BoT)."

I love the annual New Year fairy tales. Local wages here have gone down to 250 baht per day. Does that sound like "recovery"?

• Like 2

I wish, i had as much optimism as the Bank of Thailand. Regardless, it's her job to give a positive prognosis, as we do to our bosses.

Perhaps, she should see this article and video first, before making any remarks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2874372/Angry-monk-slaps-expat-face-train-Thailand-victim-offered-double-seat-two-women.html

How many more tourists would love to get slapped by a monk? Unless, they are masochistic.

post-229622-0-98568800-1420002627_thumb.

post-229622-0-52944800-1420002640_thumb.

Edited by hupaknomore

How often do New Year resolutions disappear soon after they have been made or forecast? Russia and Greece heading in to recession, how many other countries?

Sadly it is likely Thailand will be among them but most of it self inflicted.

"Thai economy will see gradual recovery next year as there is positive sign of consumption in the private sector and government investment, according to the Bank of Thailand (BoT)."

I love the annual New Year fairy tales. Local wages here have gone down to 250 baht per day. Does that sound like "recovery"?

Where do these people buy their crystal balls? Do they go to Tarot card readers? Maybe a palm reader or a gypsy lady. The average Thai and people world wide for that matter are tapped out turn their pockets inside out there is nothing there. Their wallets only hold overmaxed out badly warped plastic cards that gives off a funny burning smell.

How often do New Year resolutions disappear soon after they have been made or forecast? Russia and Greece heading in to recession, how many other countries?

Sadly it is likely Thailand will be among them but most of it self inflicted.

If you take the sunshine and low wages out of the equation then definitely.

Where do these people buy their crystal balls? Do they go to Tarot card readers? Maybe a palm reader or a gypsy lady. The average Thai and people world wide for that matter are tapped out turn their pockets inside out there is nothing there. Their wallets only hold overmaxed out badly warped plastic cards that gives off a funny burning smell.

Well coming from the starting point of coups, protests and disbanding parliaments, the only way is up.

For me the problem is FDI. It is drying up or moving. Where will the growth come from? Govt stimulus? Pfffffft

I wish, i had as much optimism as the Bank of Thailand. Regardless, it's her job to give a positive prognosis, as we do to our bosses.

Perhaps, she should see this article and video first, before making any remarks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2874372/Angry-monk-slaps-expat-face-train-Thailand-victim-offered-double-seat-two-women.html

How many more tourists would love to get slapped by a monk? Unless, they are masochistic.

Try to open the link and a couple of others regarding this news (Guardian, US Daily Mail etc.) and see what happens...

My Johnson will grow another 4 inches in 2015 too

So, you envision investing in injectable paraffin and small ball bearings as a good strategy? Oh, sorry. I was confused. You were talking about your Johnson not adolescent Thai Johnsons.giggle.gif

Edited by jaltsc

People should understand that the role of central bankers, literally, is not to tell the unvarnished truth but to make statements they believe will have a positive impact on perceptions and, indirectly, on the economy. Part of the prediction will certainly prove to be correct: The government already has announced plans to initiate massive deficit spending next year, and the immediate ripple effects of that include an uptick in GDP. As for consumer spending, that will likely only happen if the government induces it by, say, directed "special" sales that motivate credit buying, or more handouts that have to be spent on consumer purchases, etc. In other words, government has the ability to turn these predictions into fact simply by choosing to do so.

People should understand that the role of central bankers, literally, is not to tell the unvarnished truth but to make statements they believe will have a positive impact on perceptions and, indirectly, on the economy. Part of the prediction will certainly prove to be correct: The government already has announced plans to initiate massive deficit spending next year, and the immediate ripple effects of that include an uptick in GDP. As for consumer spending, that will likely only happen if the government induces it by, say, directed "special" sales that motivate credit buying, or more handouts that have to be spent on consumer purchases, etc. In other words, government has the ability to turn these predictions into fact simply by choosing to do so.

i.e keep kicking the can down the road until the inevitable day of reckoningrolleyes.gif

"Thai economy will see gradual recovery next year"

That is about as useful as a weather prediction that "the sun will rise in the east, set in the west, followed by darkness."

Thailand doesn't need a gradual recovery in 2015, it needs significant GDP growth of 4+% to regain economic momentum. BOT has already lowered it estimate of growth for 2015 from 4.8% to 4% because of lower-than-expected government spending and slow recovery of private investment, tourism income and export expansion. None of these sectors will see significant increases for at least the next three months.

Either the author has travelled a year into the future or their use of tenses when writing English leaves alot to be desired.

I`ve a funny feeling this time next year they won`t be using the same headline.

They forgot to hit the K key. "Thai economy seeks recovery in 2015"

Massive deficit spending on trains, a huge amount of which will lead to imports of equipment and raw materials along some domestic spending.

Thus adding to imports causing a negative in the GDP calculation.

Blocked.