2015 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To start the New Year off right I stopped by Angela's in Mae Nam today. Had 2, yes two, chilli cheese dogs.....could not stop at only one! Deliciouslicklips.gif

I love my Thai food, but when I get a craving for some farang food Angela's is the only place I go.

I've kept hold of this until the NY so it wouldn't get lost in a previous thread and don't have to cross post which is against forum rules.

Place called Bali serving Indonesian food in Lamai.

post-145163-0-71758000-1420312898_thumb.

I imagine members (for the most part) who are not Australian, Dutch or perhaps German have no idea what Indonesian food even is. Like Thai food it packs a punch of flavour but it is not generally blisteringly spicy along with it. Heat, which can be quite severe, is added by the individual by way of a condiment, Sambal. Nam pla prik is also a condiment for Thai food.

Sambal is sauce typically made from a variety of chili peppers and secondary ingredients such as shrimp paste, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, sugar, lime juice, and rice vinegar or other vinegars.

Various recipes of sambals usually are served as hot and spicy condiments for dishes such as ikan bakar (grilled fish), ikan goreng (fried fish), ayam goreng (fried chicken), and soto. Sambal is an Indonesian loan-word of Javanese origin (sambel).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

Bali offers two Sambals. One is made on the premises while the other is imported. Imported directly and not imported by Makro or some such. Both are sublime but go easy because they are also both pretty damn hot.

The place does not have a huge menu which I consider to be a good thing as more care is taken on quality. A selection plate is available for B230 consisting of a small (not so small actually) amount of various menu items including chicken satay, green beans in a sauce of some kind, hard boiled egg in a different sauce, pickled cucumber, beef Rendang (more on that later), rice which is fried with vegetables I think but not sure as I always have plain rice and some other lovely things.

post-145163-0-47104500-1420315145_thumb.

Rendang is a spicy meat dish which originated from the Minangkabau ethnic group of Indonesia,[1] and is now commonly served across the country.[2] One of the characteristic foods of Minangkabau culture, it is served at ceremonial occasions and to honour guests.[3] Rendang is also served among the Malay community in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and also in Southern Philippines. Rendang is traditionally prepared by the Minangkabau community during festive occasions such as traditional ceremonies, wedding feasts, and Hari Raya (Eid al-Fitr). Culinary experts often describe rendang as: 'West Sumatran caramelized beef curry'.[1][4] In 2011 an online poll by 35,000 people held by CNN International chose Rendang as the number one dish of their 'Worlds 50 Most Delicious Foods (Readers' Pick)' list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendang

This was the menu just before the places officially opened a few months back.

post-145163-0-27688900-1420316059_thumb.

The final name changed from Java Café to Bali but I believe the prices are still the same. You may get a 10% discount for being a Samui resident (food only) if you say 'Johnno sent me' but I cannot guarantee that, sorry.

Not very often I give anywhere such a ringing endorsement regardless of country. Thoroughly recommended.

• 1 month later...

There is a new place in FMV (turn right at pier junction) serving Greek Food. Tried it out last Friday during walking street. Extremely busy, food was a bit slow, but good. Nearly as good as the other Greek restaurant near Tesco. Location in FMV though much nicer. Opposite is another restaurant serving Mediterranean food, also nice décor and aircon bar. Otherwise the Soi is very quiet, except walking street days.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Does anyone know where to find pork chops? I 've looked in Makro, Big C, Tesco several times but haven't seen any.

Thanks smile.png

The best pork chops are in Tops at Central Festival. In the aisle on the right as you walk in just after the fresh veggies/lettuce. If you reach prawns - you have gone too far.

The ones on the bone (when they have them) are excellent. I usually buy half a dozen or so and bung them in the freezer for later. Take them out of the freezer a day or two before you want them and let them defrost in the fridge.

Obviously, they are not cheap (nothing in Tops is) but they are well worth it. licklips.gif

Hi All, Does anyone know where to find pork chops? I 've looked in Makro, Big C, Tesco several times but haven't seen any.

Thanks smile.png

The best pork chops are in Tops at Central Festival.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Anyone know of any restaurant or any roadside kitchen which will be able to cook the fish or seafood that you bring with you?

For example, if I buy seafood from the fish market in Nathon and would like them to cook it for me.

Of course, I will gladly pay for this.

Edited by Mole

The Thai place on the corner near where we live will definitely do this ( I have seen customers take their market fish in) - but we are out of the way.

Soi 7 Plai Laem. Place called Country Bar.

He is not cheap - catering for guests from the Arayaburi/Idyllic resort, but he will do what you want.

I am not sure that you will be saving much Mole. I go to a local restaurant where the owner has a friend with a fishing boat.

Tonight -

Fresh caught Butterfish plah sam rod and a four finger fish pad kratiem. Mixed veggies, no name starter and 3 rice. All washed down with 4 large chang, bucket of ice and two (large) glasses of decent red wine. 1,800 baht and four hungry adults could not finish the fish!

Sorry - not what you are looking for - but Country Bar will definitely cook your fish.

Where is this local restaurant?

That 1800 bt course is acceptable price for me as long as it's local catch. Divided between 4 people, that's not too bad.

Although I'll gladly pay, but I was thinking more like a few hundred bath. The seafood is after all mine, so they only need to charge for any other ingredients and of course for the cooking.

For example, I'd like to eat the mantis shrimp but have no clue how to cook it myself.

Edited by Mole

Hi Mole

The restaurant is local to me - but not to Nathon. (sorry - I missed that bit of your post.) I am at the pointy end of Samui - near Six Senses. A long way to go from Nathon.

The place where I ate tonight is just north of Choengmon - on a hill. Not on the beach or in the village. A tad out of the way on Soi Tongsai.

Two large fish and four people could not finish them. (Maybe is was the 4 large Changs? burp.gif )

Hey Rooo - maybe this should be in the food section?

Thanks smile.png

The best pork chops are in Tops at Central Festival. In the aisle on the right as you walk in just after the fresh veggies/lettuce. If you reach prawns - you have gone too far.

The ones on the bone (when they have them) are excellent. I usually buy half a dozen or so and bung them in the freezer for later. Take them out of the freezer a day or two before you want them and let them defrost in the fridge.

Obviously, they are not cheap (nothing in Tops is) but they are well worth it. licklips.gif

Thanks Trop, The verdict after I tried one this evening

flintstone.jpg

..........is 'yabba dabba doooo!'

Anyone know of any restaurant or any roadside kitchen which will be able to cook the fish or seafood that you bring with you?

For example, if I buy seafood from the fish market in Nathon and would like them to cook it for me.

Of course, I will gladly pay for this.

Come by my place, staff have small Thai restaurant.

Ask the staff, I'm in Chiang Dao right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, does anyone know where I can get active dry yeast on Samui? There is lots of instant bread machine yeast but it does not do the same job.

Thanks I advance.

Tesco, Makro, BigC, Sanphet. All the supermarkets have it. Tesco & Big C have small bottles , Makro & Sanphet you can get 500g packets.

Turn left into the carpark & row of shops located immediatly after the roundabout exit @ tesco chaweng. It's in there on the end/ left. Google 'Irish Times' or ' Red Brick Cafe' as they'll probably have GPS highlighting their premises in the same row.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Hi!

We need a whole pig roasted on a spit for a wedding in our Villa in Samui on the 10th of May... about 25 kg... Anybody can help?

Any idea where the Thais do their party spit pork roasts her ein Samui?

Cheers

Peter

Roast pig guy in Lamai across from Kob restaurant. PM me if you need exact directions.

I've eaten a number of his spit roasted pigs over the years and they are very good.

I don't have any pictures except on a video (slide show really) that I made for a French friend of mine who got one some 4 1/2 years ago.

Oxo's

Hi all, Does anyone know where to buy Oxos on the island? I have all but ran out! smile.png

Eva

Not Oxo but....

New 'imported foods' counter in Tesco Lotus Chaweng. 3 different types of stock cubes - Tesco own brand. (Could be oxo???)

Also some nice other bits and pieces (John West corned beef?). I am not sure about the Jamie Oliver pink Himalayan salt though. (199 baht)

the stand is in between the yoghurts and the cleaning stuff.