What "alternative" ED visas have you seen?

For the longest time I thought the only type of educational visa dealt with the Thai language. Then I met a ex-pat here on a Muay Thai educational visa, and started digging into the forums about it to find out that others were using this visa too (although much less commonly).

So now I'm wondering: What other types of classes besides language are available for educational visas?

You might be able to get a multiple entry non-ed visa at a friendly embassy or consulate that would give you 90 day entries for a year. With this visa you would have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

You will not get extensions of stay at immigration unless the school/gym is registered with the Ministry of Education.

See Courses in Thailand for other options.

• Like 1

I know a reputable school that offers the following courses in addition to Thai, all approved for five years: PM me if you want a link as they are not a Sponsor.

Thai Language Course, English Language Course, Chinese Language Course, Japanese Language Course, Russian Language Course, German Language Course, Financial Accounting, Hotel Management Training, Thai Traditional Arts (Khon), Business English Language Course

Edited by wayned

I know a reputable school that offers the following courses in addition to Thai, all approved for five years: PM me if you want a link as they are not a Sponsor.

Thai Language Course, English Language Course, Chinese Language Course, Japanese Language Course, Russian Language Course, German Language Course, Financial Accounting, Hotel Management Training, Thai Traditional Arts (Khon), Business English Language Course

I guess even if you study another language than Thai with a private school, you still need to get extensions every 90 days from immigration and after 1 year you will have to leave the country to apply for a new ED visa. And I guess for Phuket the 1 year is 6 months if I'm not wrong and they will still be suspicious about your "real" reason for staying in Thailand.

Personally I think if you want to stay on ED visa, you are better of signing up with one of the courses from a university for which you can get 1 year extensions from immigration and is more widely accepted by immigration.

• Like 1

'' Have a mate in Chiang Mai on the Thai boxing visa.''

Good point,,, just hope someone from immigration doesn't

stop you then say '' OK Let's see what you got'' do they

offer classes on how to run really really fast, they would

catch me in a heartbeat.

'' Have a mate in Chiang Mai on the Thai boxing visa.''

Good point,,, just hope someone from immigration doesn't

stop you then say '' OK Let's see what you got'' do they

offer classes on how to run really really fast, they would

catch me in a heartbeat.

I'm relieved, it seemed as we were to have a "muai thai-visa" thread without that joke. Thanks.

• Like 1

I am surprised no one has used government or business grants to study some Thai-related social or scientific issue; then arrange a research fellowship at a Thai university which would avail you of a work or research visa. Of course, you need academic credentials--masters level should suffice.

Some years ago, I received a National Science Foundation grant to study the Philippine Family-Retainer Business Model. The grant provided a $12,500 annual award and allowed me to acquire a Philippine one-year extended work-study visa which I used to apply for a research fellowship at Ateneo University's Business School. My fellowship provided housing, office space, library and computer access, and research stipends. I used the grant and fellowship to develop a pallet building business using the family-retainer model. Not only did I receive free housing and office use, but the grant provide over $1k/mo, and the pallet building netted another $500/mo--and this was in the mid-70's when Marcos made only $1,300/mo officially. Of course, I did have to write a formal report on the findings. The paper was well-enough received to be awarded a $6,250 follow-on grant; in which I studied methods to spin-off Family-Retainer businesses.