Thai Courts sentence 4,056 for drunk-driving in the New Year holiday period

webfact

Courts sentence 4,056 for drunk-driving
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The courts handed down guilty verdicts to 4,056 drunk drivers in the New Year holiday period.

The number of drunk-driving cases between December 30 and January 5 increased by 259 compared to the same period a year earlier.

The Probation Department yesterday said drunk driving was the most common offence among drivers over the holidays. In the same period, there were 15 reckless-driving cases and 232 cases of drivers abusing drugs, while 333 people were put on probation by courts in Chon Buri, 273 in Bangkok and 222 in Buri Ram.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Courts-sentence-4056-for-drunk-driving-30251533.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-09

My Thai colleagues tell me the one punishment they would hate the most if caught doing wrong would be community service, especially anything that exposed them to the full glare of the public eye. In other words, serious loss of face is what they fear. One precious little chap even said he would refuse to do manual labor - I guess that would demean him too much.

So, what would be the most demeaning community service for a little emporer caught DUI? Street sweeping with a sign on his back saying "I'm too important to be doing this."

• Like 2

It's a shame they don't operate like the " Spanish Police " It some drink driving cases they can :

1. Huge Fine

2. Take the car to a compound

3. Life Time driving Ban

4. Surrender your driving licence

5. Then instantly send you straight to Jail ( with no court beforehand )

I used to work with the Guardia Civil in Spain and the above list is quite normal these days!

F.J x

• Like 1

So there should today be a minimum of 4,056 extra persons incarcerated in Thai prisons for a minimum period of 6 months, with those drunks who caused death injury or damage serving additional time. They should be prevented from driving for a minimum of 5 years once released.

No doubt they all got away with very minimal fines

How will things ever change unless punishment meets the crime?

Over to you PM-ex general! We are all waiting for action! Corrupt rice schemes don't kill, Cars in the hands of maniacs do!

Only 15 cases of reckless driving procecuted over a 7 day period nationwide ??????

This seems to me like an admission that things are totally out of control on the roads in Thailand, as reckless driving is a root cause of many accidents here.

Good , its a start

Yes it is a start but a mere drop in the ocean compared to the number of drunk or drugged up drivers on our roads everyday.

More of the "glass is half empty guy" than the "glass is half full guy", eh?

Good , its a start

Yes it is a start but a mere drop in the ocean compared to the number of drunk or drugged up drivers on our roads everyday.

More of the "glass is half empty guy" than the "glass is half full guy", eh?

Optimism depends on the situation & I am not optimistic about the number of people driving under the influence, whether it be alcohol or drugs, & getting away with it. They are not only in control of private vehicles.

Good , its a start

I'll have to agree with you except on one point. You are a guest in Thailand the roads belong to the Thai's they in fact are not yours. Most Western Farangs always seem to forget this.

Edited by Hobiecat

Good , its a start

I'll have to agree with you except on one point. You are a guest in Thailand the roads belong to the Thai's they in fact are not yours. Most Western Farangs always seem to forget this.

True we are guests, but many of us have Thai wives and children whom we care about, which is more than the drunken idiots do!

• Like 1

Only 15 cases of reckless driving procecuted over a 7 day period nationwide ??????

This seems to me like an admission that things are totally out of control on the roads in Thailand, as reckless driving is a root cause of many accidents here.

On any given day anywhere in Thailand you can see hundreds of reckless drivers!

Nothing will change within now and the next 2 generations in Thailand!

No matter how many deaths in traffic, people don't care and law enforcement is not there!

Take care you all!