Can I get a laptop with these specs for cheap?

Cheesekraft

Looking for:

256 GB SSD (I can put in my own?)

8 GB ram (most have 4 GB; I Can add more I suppose?)

1920*1080 full HD screen

I am not familar with the laptop processors; but I need a fairly good one. I5+ I imagine haswell or later.

I have not found anything like this for under 60k baht on lazada or invadeit, but if parts are swappable something could be done. Anyone have any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated!

To get an idea of what's available, go to newegg.com or amazon and do a filtered laptop search with those specs, starting with screen resolution as this will be the option with fewest results. You don't say what size screen you require but HD usually means not so cheap. HD is still not all that common in laptops, same with a 256 GB SSD. Installing additional RAM and an SSD is not difficult.

You sure can - you can even get high-end for less than that.

A 13" Macbook Pro Retina has 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, a 2.6GHz i5 CPU and a 2560x1600 display, and costs 50K delivered: http://store.apple.com/th-en/buy-mac/macbook-pro

If you need Windows, you'll need to add that on top though.

I'm sure others will post in with some lower-end options though ;)

• Like 2

A 13" Macbook Pro Retina has 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, a 2.6GHz i5 CPU and a 2560x1600 display, and costs 50K delivered: http://store.apple.com/th-en/buy-mac/macbook-pro

I'm sure others will post in with some lower-end options though wink.png

apples certainly are pretty machines, I was looking at this exact model yesterday. Beautiful screen, light weight, good specifications, but unfortunately one of the few programs I really need doesn't run on mac. I do think its solid value though considering its battery life, etc.

you will thank me later....preferably in cash. a few years ago I looked and looked....found an MSI cx61 that had most of the specs you needed for about 27000 baht. has been working great ever since. got free speakers, nvidia graphics card, gt 650m, 1920x1080 with 4 gigs and 750 HD. yes, NO SSD, but i'm sure MSI can do that....nobody in thailand really knows of MSI, which, trust me, is a great thing.....and if you get an MSI and it crashes on day one....let me know and i'll delete this post. lol.

apples certainly are pretty machines, I was looking at this exact model yesterday. Beautiful screen, light weight, good specifications, but unfortunately one of the few programs I really need doesn't run on mac. I do think its solid value though considering its battery life, etc.

Mac's can run Windows.... so don't let that be a barrier if you want the machine.

You can set it up 3 ways: At power-on, choose between booting into Windows or OSX (boot camp), or boot into OSX then run Windows in virtual machine (i.e. Windows in a window), or lose OSX altogether and just make it a pure Windows machine.. The only thing you can't do is buy a Windows license from Apple ;)

very tempting laptop , 50k is a bit more than i'd like to spend but if I come into extra cash I might buy my first apple product in ~5 years. Seems like its come a long way; able to install windows on the machine, great touchpad, screen, battery life, weight, etc.

Edited by Cheesekraft

It's disgraceful the amount of new laptops that are still being sold with 1366x768 resolution. It's hard to find anything else here because noone seems to know any better. I agree with the previous posters about MSI and Lenovo, both of which have some nice higher end models at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

It's disgraceful the amount of new laptops that are still being sold with 1366x768 resolution. It's hard to find anything else here because noone seems to know any better. I agree with the previous posters about MSI and Lenovo, both of which have some nice higher end models at reasonable prices.

seriously.. 90% of laptops are this awful resolution, I really don't understand why.

• 1 month later...

My laptop is about to die.

I will need a new one soon.

Can anyone recommencement a decent one for preferably 30k or less available in Thailand just now?

It just has to be reliable. My current one is not even 4 years old and its dying.

Of course, i would prefer the highest specs possible, but it doesn't matter too much. I don't do anything fancy on it. Just internet browsing and writing word documents - nothing special.

Thankswai2.gif

Can anyone recommencement a decent one for preferably 30k or less available in Thailand just now?

It just has to be reliable. My current one is not even 4 years old and its dying.

Of course, i would prefer the highest specs possible, but it doesn't matter too much. I don't do anything fancy on it. Just internet browsing and writing word documents - nothing special.

Thankswai2.gif

There's some decent ones out there cheap.

I decided on a tower for better specs cheap. I attached it to my 52" LED TV and wireless keyboard. Quite happy and has space for upgrades.

post-4271-14257275000552_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OP, You said 8 gig of ram. Don't forget that 32 bit Windows can't "see" more than 4 gig. Just be sure you get 64 bit Windows.

If your new computer won't run your printer wirelessly and you need that (and your printer has the ability) please read this. It's pretty basic and not news, but it comes up as a problem for a lot of people.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/trouble-installing-shared-printer-on-windows-7-64-bit/td-p/182536

• Like 1

Thankswai2.gif

I decided on a tower for better specs cheap. I attached it to my 52" LED TV and wireless keyboard. Quite happy and has space for upgrades.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1425727493.549215.jpg

BTW Empty Set, the above system cost about 13k

Thankswai2.gif

I love DELL products, as they usually come with a three year warranty, where technicians will come to your place to fix it.

My DELL inspiron 1440 is already a Dinosaur, but very reliable. And DELL products have an excellent online service and online diagnostic.

Please have a look at:

http://www.notebook-thailand.com/11-dell-notebook

post-158336-0-60762600-1425791794_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

OP, You said 8 gig of ram. Don't forget that 32 bit Windows can't "see" more than 4 gig. Just be sure you get 64 bit Windows.

If your new computer won't run your printer wirelessly and you need that (and your printer has the ability) please read this. It's pretty basic and not news, but it comes up as a problem for a lot of people.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/trouble-installing-shared-printer-on-windows-7-64-bit/td-p/182536

And the 64 bit version also runs all 32 bit programs.

Edited by lostinisaan

I also agree that a Lenovo is a good option.

You could get something like a Lenovo z5070 that comes with an i7 processor and 1920x1080 res for 23490 Baht, and swop out the HD for SSD for 5550 Baht or more, stick win7 64bit OS on for 5090 Baht, and upgrade the memory to 8 or 16gig all for under 40,000 Baht. You could also get a USB3 HD case for the HD you swop out and have a nice 1tb external.

I bought an apple and got rid of that horrible operating system and put windows on it. Such an improvement it works great.

I bought an apple and got rid of that horrible operating system and put windows on it. Such an improvement it works great.

lol

• Like 1

ROTFLMAO!

You'd probably put a gas engine in a Tesla.

Thankswai2.gif

those specs are awful, native video, bare minimum ram, i3 processor.

why?

Haha, you replaced Unix with Windows. You're being sarcastic, surely.

Thankswai2.gif

BTW Empty Set, the above system cost about 13k

Yeah, thanks manclap2.gif

I saw laptops with those specs today for about 13k in all the shops.