Windows 8.1 tablets

Thaijack2014

Hi there... I'm looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet pc. Not the surface, as this is too expensive. I have been looking into several brands. The one that really caught my eye is the CSC wisebook AU101T. It has 2gb of RAM and 32GB storage (which you can "expand" with a Micro SD card).

Now there are several others like these VIDO W11C 3G; CHUWI V10HD 3G; Pipo W6 3g 8.9; PiPo W3; Teclast X98 Air; Onda 819w etc...

I like the CSC Wisebook, because of its design and specs and also the price 10.000 Baht seems fine. It has a better screen then Acer Aspire Switch (which is about 17900 (with 3G and a docking station/keyboard with 500gb HD). Also tablets from Lenovo, Microsoft, Dell and other major brands are far more expensive.

So what I like to know is your experience with those tablets. Did anybody buy the CSC Wisebook? Information and video's on Youtube are only in Thai about this particular one. There are cheaper tablets, but the convenience of this is that it is probable made in Thailand, I can buy it on Lazada and pay cash on delivery.

Most others have lower specs or the ones that do have better specs are from China - to be ordered through Aliexpress. My first order was the Onda V95w. But it seemed to be a fake company selling it and Aliexpress cancelled my order. Now I'm very reluctant in buying one via Aliexpress.

Also because I checked for prices, then got emails like: buy 1 get 3 free. Or tablets for prices, so rediculous low priced that only a fool would order one or deal with the company.

My other experience was with my search for a 3D tablet: I checked reviews on Youtube. Found one about a tablet from AROCCOM. A chinese company that wanted to sell this one to me, but after seeing the review from a buyer, I decided that I didn't like it. I sent the link to that company and a day later the video was not available anymore on youtube. In fact you won't find anything about it anymore... Sorry - thanks to me... Now, this made me again suspicious in buying anything directly from China.

What is your experience in buying a tablet. It is all about Windows 8.1 tablets... I don't want Android, because it has to be able to run special Windows programs..thanks

Just took delivery of a Teclast X98 Air II 3G Dual Boot.

It's fantastic, runs Android 4.4.4 or Windows 8.1, lovely IPs screen, 2GB running memory, 32GB internal storage, with MMC SD and Sim card slots.

9.7" screen, similar shape to iPad air. Slightly lighter than an iPad 4. reported 8 hours battery....

Cost me £160.00 UKP - Highly recommended.

• Like 1

It's fantastic, runs Android 4.4.4 or Windows 8.1, lovely IPs screen, 2GB running memory, 32GB internal storage, with MMC SD and Sim card slots.

9.7" screen, similar shape to iPad air. Slightly lighter than an iPad 4. reported 8 hours battery....

HI Phazey,

how is the experience with the Teclast? Is switching between the OS uncomplicated and easy? Secondly, how is your own experience with the battery life?

HI Phazey,

how is the experience with the Teclast? Is switching between the OS uncomplicated and easy? Secondly, how is your own experience with the battery life?

Well switching between OS requires a reboot - then just tap the OS you wish to load, Android or Windows, which shows up on the initial power-up screen.

I've not power-used (is that a word?) it enough to really go through the battery, but it's rock solid so far. Just taken delivery of a BT keyboard with laptop style hinge and a BT mouse (this is for an iPad air, but the Teclast is identical in size, so can use it), with a further HDMI lead so i can dock it.

I'm really looking forwards to installing Windows 10 on it (which some users have already done with the developer preview. Tonights project is to see if it'll be beefy enough to run Mass Effect. I've already paired it with a bluetooth gamepad and done some Steam in-home streaming and it worked like a champ.

Loving it currently.

Regarding the Atom cpu, be sure to get the current generation Z3XXX such as the one in the CSC you mentioned in your OP. It's heads and shoulders above the previous generation Z2XXX.

I have a barely used Dell Venue Pro 8 in the classifieds if you're interested.

Hi there,

will keep an eye on the CPU, thanks! I am looking for something larger, i.e. above 10". Thanks for the offer, though!

HI Phazey,

Well switching between OS requires a reboot - then just tap the OS you wish to load, Android or Windows, which shows up on the initial power-up screen.

I've not power-used (is that a word?) it enough to really go through the battery, but it's rock solid so far. Just taken delivery of a BT keyboard with laptop style hinge and a BT mouse (this is for an iPad air, but the Teclast is identical in size, so can use it), with a further HDMI lead so i can dock it.

I'm really looking forwards to installing Windows 10 on it (which some users have already done with the developer preview. Tonights project is to see if it'll be beefy enough to run Mass Effect. I've already paired it with a bluetooth gamepad and done some Steam in-home streaming and it worked like a champ.

Loving it currently.

Thanks for this early impressions. Seems like a solid device and I might jump on this train just for the sake of testing it all out myself. As it is quite cheap I am just concerned about longevity/quality at this point.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm seriously looking at the Teclast X98 Air II 3G Dual Boot. Where'd you buy it?

If from Aliexpress, how's the experience ordering from them?

How much import tax do you have to pay, if any?

How's it now after using for a few months?

Thanks.biggrin.png

Regarding ONDA brand tablets. I have 2, 10" Onda Android tablets. One, a Vi40 and the other a V-972. Both less than 3 years old and both batteries have spontaneously gassed out, the containing envelopes puffing with enough force to force the cases open. In both cases, the tablets were inactive, being neither used or charged.

I suspect cheaper batteries are more prone to this problem, thus I would suggest avoiding cheaper brands such as ONDA.