Pichit: Akara gold mining company ordered to suspend operations for 30 days

webfact

Akara gold mining company ordered to suspend operations for 30 days

280218-imagejpeg-437866-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Primary Industries and Mines has suspended the operations of a gold mining company in Phichit province for 30 days after it was discovered that over 200 people in the mine’s neighbourhood have above-standard level of heavy metals in their bodies.

Mr Surapong Chiangthong, the department head, said Tuesday that the mining company, Akara Mining Resources, was not cooperative with the department after it was told several times to improve the environment around the mining site and to provide medical treatment to the villagers affected by heavy metals.

He said he signed the order and once the order was received the company must cease its gold extraction operations which were suspected to be the cause of contamination of the environment with heavy metals.

The suspension order came one day after the Forensic Medicine Institute of the Justice Ministry conducted notified villagers living around the gold mining company the results of their blood tests which show that over 200 of them have high level of heavy metals in their bodies.

Mr Surapong, however, clarified that the suspension order did not mean that the company had committed any wrongdoing but its gold extraction operations might pose a threat to humans and animals and, therefore, they must be suspended.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/akara-gold-mining-company-ordered-suspend-operations-30-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-14

• Like 1

People i know is trying to start a tin mining operations in the south, by past records of mining problems

in Thailand it seems that Thailand is one one of the worst countries in the world to start and operate a mine,

as villagers, mafia and government entities will come out of the woodwork to make like miserable and

shake you down for hush money...

• Like 1

It is not often you see action taken by the mines department so someone must have woken up , but it is worthwhile noting that the environment and health Departments are silent and this is an environmental , health issue also , there should now be a full investigation by these departments and regardless of the sputtering protests from Akara and if a prohibition notice has to be issued against Akara so be it, until this situation has been fixed.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"Mr Surapong, however, clarified that the suspension order did not mean that the company had committed any wrongdoing but its gold extraction operations might pose a threat to humans and animals............."

...the suspension order did not mean that the company had committed any wrongdoing

"....might pose a threat to humans and animals"

"....the results of their blood tests which show that over 200 of them have high level of heavy metals in their bodies."

Therefore the company hasn't committed any wrongdoing? Huh!

Correction to my post, checked out the company on the internet, cyanide is used, gold and silver produced, so I guess there will be a mixture of other metals such as Mn, Zn, Cu, Cr etc. The most likely source to the environment is tailings dams, but no mention in the article if the pollution is surface or ground water, or possibly from the dust from the grinding mills. The company's video is very interesting as it says they had problems because Thailand's lack of proper regulation. I guess thainess strikes again and they are making the rules on the hoof. I think there is rather more to this than the gov minister mentions.

"Mr Surapong, however, clarified that the suspension order did not mean that the company had committed any wrongdoing but its gold extraction operations might pose a threat to humans and animals............."

...the suspension order did not mean that the company had committed any wrongdoing

"....might pose a threat to humans and animals"

"....the results of their blood tests which show that over 200 of them have high level of heavy metals in their bodies."

Therefore the company hasn't committed any wrongdoing? Huh!

It seems like they are guilty until proven innocent around here.

Yes, local villagers have abnormal heavy metal blood levels, though that is not proof that it's from the mine. It could easily be from another local business, farmers using pesticides, somebody dumping waste, or simply extortion...

I'm waiting for more evidence.

Correction to my post, checked out the company on the internet, cyanide is used, gold and silver produced, so I guess there will be a mixture of other metals such as Mn, Zn, Cu, Cr etc. The most likely source to the environment is tailings dams, but no mention in the article if the pollution is surface or ground water, or possibly from the dust from the grinding mills. The company's video is very interesting as it says they had problems because Thailand's lack of proper regulation. I guess thainess strikes again and they are making the rules on the hoof. I think there is rather more to this than the gov minister mentions.

I would ask : Does a company need Government regulation to enact safe environmental and health measures ?

Probably the do, for they will just do things the cheapest way possible to maximize profits until forced by regulation to do otherwise.

There's a simple way to sort this : The mining, milling and extraction processes will all produce waste with different mixtures (cocktails) of heavy metals. This is called their chemical fingerprint. If the ratio of the different heavy metals from any of the effluents matches those found in the peoples blood, taking into account biochemical processes, then it is "probable" that the mine may be responsible. If it is actually proven and the pathway identified, then closing the mine for 30 days is a joke as there will be heavy metals in the environment for decades. Heavy metals are also toxic to plants, but the article doesn't mention affected crops. There needs to be an immediate evaluation of the evidence and further environmental investigation carried out by qualified, independant and experienced personnel, after all they may have to appear in court to defend their evaluation, or oops am I getting mixed up with how things are done in Thailand.