Unusual circumstances open door to unusual occurrences

webfact

Good article... it is obvious, the world over, that elected representatives make mistakes, support policies that turn out to be weak and ineffective (100s of examples) but they do not get hounded, bullied and persecuted when out of power.

Abhisit's respect would go up 1000 fold if he stopped pussy footing around and called a cigar a cigar. This is about POWER plain and simple and very little to do with rice.

• Like 1

"The impeachment, however, appears to have cut short the learning process for Thai voters."

Well it has already cost the Thai populace around B10,000 for every man, woman, 3rd gender and child. Just how expensive a lesson can they afford? And won't sending corrupt politicians to jail achieve the same thing, if not quite as well, at a lower cost?

The next time Thaksin sets up a proxy with vote-buying, bugger the cost we're not paying, pocket-lining electoral scam, he/she might consider the consequences, if they turn out to be 10 years in the slammer.

• Like 1

"The impeachment, however, appears to have cut short the learning process for Thai voters."

Well it has already cost the Thai populace around B10,000 for every man, woman, 3rd gender and child. Just how expensive a lesson can they afford? And won't sending corrupt politicians to jail achieve the same thing, if not quite as well, at a lower cost?

The next time Thaksin sets up a proxy with vote-buying, bugger the cost we're not paying, pocket-lining electoral scam, he/she might consider the consequences, if they turn out to be 10 years in the slammer.

You don't grasp the concept of politically motivated selective justice, or the adverse consequences, or the dangers of the precedent established here, do you?

Outstanding article.

"...Yet, there is no government in the world that has been prosecuted for launching a policy it promised while campaigning for votes..."

This is what makes what the NACC, NLA and the Supreme Court want to do, sending Yingluck to jail, unbelievable. Did Yingluck stand behind an ill-conceived program, did she ignore problems, did she fail to stop an obvious train-wreck...almost certainly partly or wholly true on all counts. However, politicians do not get sent to jail for this.

So NACC, NLA and everyone else in the Bangkok elite if you want this country to fall apart in front of the world then go ahead and send Yingluck to jail. Even if there is no intention of sending her to jail, just continuing this farce is damaging to the country.

The point is, they should go to jail for this and other crimes they commit while in office!!! This was not just a bad mistake on the part of the PTP. This was a finely crafted attempt to rob the country blind.

The only reason it failed is because once again Taksin pushed too hard (just like when he changed the constitution while in power so he could sell a Thai utility to a foreign company, then not pay any taxes on it).

If he was able to push through his amnesty bill then he would have skated from this as well. This is corruption and embezzlement on an unprecedented scale. It is time to show Thailand that this will not be tolerated.

Future politicians need to understand that they are there to serve the people not there to steal from them with impunity.

Outstanding article.

"...Yet, there is no government in the world that has been prosecuted for launching a policy it promised while campaigning for votes..."

This is what makes what the NACC, NLA and the Supreme Court want to do, sending Yingluck to jail, unbelievable. Did Yingluck stand behind an ill-conceived program, did she ignore problems, did she fail to stop an obvious train-wreck...almost certainly partly or wholly true on all counts. However, politicians do not get sent to jail for this.

So NACC, NLA and everyone else in the Bangkok elite if you want this country to fall apart in front of the world then go ahead and send Yingluck to jail. Even if there is no intention of sending her to jail, just continuing this farce is damaging to the country.

The point is, they should go to jail for this and other crimes they commit while in office!!! This was not just a bad mistake on the part of the PTP. This was a finely crafted attempt to rob the country blind.

The only reason it failed is because once again Taksin pushed too hard (just like when he changed the constitution while in power so he could sell a Thai utility to a foreign company, then not pay any taxes on it).

If he was able to push through his amnesty bill then he would have skated from this as well. This is corruption and embezzlement on an unprecedented scale. It is time to show Thailand that this will not be tolerated.

Future politicians need to understand that they are there to serve the people not there to steal from them with impunity.

Serve the people? These people need to know it's just business. They have been paid for their votes. Now we have to be paid as well for our investment.

This is not theft. It's democracy.

Edited by trogers

"Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva made an interesting remark last weekend - he said Yingluck's impeachment was possible due to unusual circumstance."

Interestingly, Abhisit's own impeachment could be in the making if he doesn't lower his profile. While the Supreme Court ruled that he and Suthep cannot be tried by the Administrative Criminal Court for alleged murder of red shirt protesters in 2010, thus dismissing charges against them, it did rule that the appropriate authority to investigate such charges is the NACC. The rationale was that the allegations relate to a time when both Abhisit and Suthep were government officials. The murder of protesters by government-directed forces under the eladership of Abhisit and Suthep could constitute abuse of power.

The question now is whether the NACC operates on a political agenda with regards to justice. Or whether it functions without political bias or political pressure to investigate Abhisit and Suthep for potentially impeachable and criminal acts. Both may find as a consequence that unusual circumstance is more frequent than they expect.

You don't grasp the concept of politically motivated selective justice, or the adverse consequences, or the dangers of the precedent established here, do you?

Ah, politically motivated. That BS gets dragged out every time a red criminal gets charged. Courts don't ask about the motivation of the prosecution, only the evidence, and if it is sufficient to convict, I don't give a monkey's which side they are on.

Adverse consequences? That would be Thaksin's mercenaries let loose again I assume. Every time a red gets charged, the same old threats of intimidation and violence, because "We dun nuffink rong!"

Precedent established? You mean I should care if the government changes and the other sides criminals get theirs? Not bloody likely.

"Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva made an interesting remark last weekend - he said Yingluck's impeachment was possible due to unusual circumstance."

Interestingly, Abhisit's own impeachment could be in the making if he doesn't lower his profile. While the Supreme Court ruled that he and Suthep cannot be tried by the Administrative Criminal Court for alleged murder of red shirt protesters in 2010, thus dismissing charges against them, it did rule that the appropriate authority to investigate such charges is the NACC. The rationale was that the allegations relate to a time when both Abhisit and Suthep were government officials. The murder of protesters by government-directed forces under the eladership of Abhisit and Suthep could constitute abuse of power.

The question now is whether the NACC operates on a political agenda with regards to justice. Or whether it functions without political bias or political pressure to investigate Abhisit and Suthep for potentially impeachable and criminal acts. Both may find as a consequence that unusual circumstance is more frequent than they expect.

Yes it could constitute abuse of power, except there was an armed insurrection taking place in the capital, security officers (in this case soldiers) were being killed and injured by military weapons, people's lives being disrupted, and the government of the time had not only the right but the duty to disperse the protesters.

• Like 1

Ah, politically motivated. That BS gets dragged out every time a red criminal gets charged. Courts don't ask about the motivation of the prosecution, only the evidence, and if it is sufficient to convict, I don't give a monkey's which side they are on.

Adverse consequences? That would be Thaksin's mercenaries let loose again I assume. Every time a red gets charged, the same old threats of intimidation and violence, because "We dun nuffink rong!"

Precedent established? You mean I should care if the government changes and the other sides criminals get theirs? Not bloody likely.

You skipped the selective justice part of my post, and the fact that the OP gives examples of the selective nature of these prosecutions. The military junta investigates the past government, but no government dares investigate the military because if its history of coups. As far as the military investigating itself, I'll let Prayuth speak on that topic:

"Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency. He reportedly said, “I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing. My government is here today to solve problems. I have so many burdens on my shoulder. My wife is also in this difficult situation. I just want some kind of moral support from you. I need your understanding. But the media has tried to dig up many issues. So have some politicians. I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.”" http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

In summary, only corruption of the last government will be investigated, not corruption in the military or junta leaders.

I could go on, but since you to seem unable or unwilling to comprehend the problems of selective justice, I don't think there's any point in identifying the obvious problems with a military that stages coups, writes, suspends, and rewrites constitutions at will, tramples human rights, etc. You clearly aren't interested in the crimes of the current bunch of criminals running the country.

You skipped the selective justice part of my post, and the fact that the OP gives examples of the selective nature of these prosecutions. The military junta investigates the past government, but no government dares investigate the military because if its history of coups. As far as the military investigating itself, I'll let Prayuth speak on that topic:

"Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency. He reportedly said, “I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing. My government is here today to solve problems. I have so many burdens on my shoulder. My wife is also in this difficult situation. I just want some kind of moral support from you. I need your understanding. But the media has tried to dig up many issues. So have some politicians. I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.”" http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

In summary, only corruption of the last government will be investigated, not corruption in the military or junta leaders.

I could go on, but since you to seem unable or unwilling to comprehend the problems of selective justice, I don't think there's any point in identifying the obvious problems with a military that stages coups, writes, suspends, and rewrites constitutions at will, tramples human rights, etc. You clearly aren't interested in the crimes of the current bunch of criminals running the country.

Selective justice? While you seem to be stuck on the first word, i note that is still justice. As Graham Greene pointed out, it is the message that is important, not the delivery boy.

BTW I can't help thinking that your intense interest in the sins of the junta has more to do with diverting attention away from the Shinawatras than a desire to see honest government.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva made an interesting remark last weekend - he said Yingluck's impeachment was possible due to unusual circumstances, but hoped this does not become prevalent in Thai politics.

Surely he hasn't just worked out that this precedent will now be used to impeach anyone for losing money on a policy?

He can't be that dumb surely.

Selective justice? While you seem to be stuck on the first word, i note that is still justice. As Graham Greene pointed out, it is the message that is important, not the delivery boy.

BTW I can't help thinking that your intense interest in the sins of the junta has more to do with diverting attention away from the Shinawatras than a desire to see honest government.

I was correct, you don't understand the concept of selective justice, and the dangers.

Of course I am more interested in the crimes of the junta. The past government tried to give the people the opportunity to reject them and elect a new government, the junta doesn't allow the people that opportunity. In addition the junta is guilty of the same crimes as the past government--corruption, nepotism, incompetence, etc., but also additional major crimes such as the coup, martial law, suspension of basic human rights, etc.

BTW, I can't help thinking that your intense interest in the sins of the Shinawatras had more to do with diverting attention away from the junta than a desire to see honest government.