PM Prayut insists democracy in Thailand will never die

webfact

Gen Prayut insists democracy in Thailand will never die

1-27-2015-9-50-04-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha hit back at former prime ministerYingluckShinawatra asking whether democracy was already dead as the latter wrote in her Facebook page.

“We are building democracy everyday – every ministry, every department are striving toward development projects. I have not handed out money to these and those people after the coup or seized the power for myself. I would say this is more democratic than normal.

I beg you people to understand the meaning of democracy more thoroughly. Good democracy is a system that takes all people alike whether they are rich or poor or in the middle income bracket. Whatever the people may say, I think about the poor first,” said General Prayut.

Asked whether democracy was already dead, the prime minister hit the left side of his chest with his right clenched fist and announced “not dead. Democracy will never die from Thailand because I am a democratic soldier but I stay in power because I want democracy to survive”.

He asked the media not to keep pushing for the exit of his government saying that it has been in the office for just 6-7 months. He insisted that his government had been trying to resolve all problems before handing power to the new government.

General Prayut insisted that his government did not engage in a witch hunt against its political opponents. “If we really did, many would have been arrested and already in jails without the troubles of taking the cases to the court,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gen-prayut-insists-democracy-thailand-will-never-die

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-28

Thai Democracy may have existed P.M. Prayut -O but Democracy as you would expect it to be never did , you have possibly just as many restrictions on your people as Nth Korea , no freedom of speech, monitoring of the internet , No freedom of the Media , monitoring of mobile phones , snooping in everybody's life at nearly every turn with endless amounts of paper work , doesn't reflect Democracy unless you like to describe it as controlled Democracy.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Mr PM democracy is rule by the people for the people where all are held to account for the laws of the land. I understand a coupe was required to rid some of the corrupt But corruption still remains it is ingrained in Thai culture and will take teaching the young to be honest So the next generation can bring forward a New corruption free Thailand. Just get the facts correct before speaking of democracy. But this tiny step is going in the right direction for now or at least I hope it is.

• Like 2