Chinese man busted for illegal tour guiding in Phuket

Lite Beer

Chinese man busted for illegal tour guiding in Phuket
Saran Mitrarat

1422681601_1-org.jpg

Yang, centre, with officials after his arrest.

PHUKET: A Chinese man was arrested for conducted an illegal tour at the Karon Viewpoint yesterday morning (January 30).

Karon police, led by Capt Eakkachai Siri and Director of the Phuket Office of Tourism and Sport, Santi Pawai, arrested 33-year-old Yang Liang and seized tour pamphlets, a guide card issued by Tiger Kingdom, a membership card for Sukho Spa, seven sales receipts for items that tourists had bought, and seven sales receipts from Royal Paragon, all with tour guide discounts.

Yang is being charge with being an illegal tour guide, operating an illegal tour and working as guide with no permit while staying in Thailand on a temporary visa.

The arrest came as party of regular sweep staged in the first week of every month.

Police observed Yang leading six Chinese tourists out of a minivan and monitored him for a while as he led the group to the viewpoint and conducted a tour.

They then asked him for his guide license, which he could not produce.

Yang told police that he was paid B3,000 per day to take tourist on tours around Phuket. Officials did no mention who hired him.

He was taken to Karon police station.

The viewpoint was the scene of another illegal guide arrest last month when a Russsian woman was taken away.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-man-busted-for-illegal-tour-guiding-in-phuket-50823.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-31

3000 thb pr. day in salary. That is an insanely high amount. "Normal" Tour Guides receives app. 800 - 1.200 thb pr. day, and make up the rest through commission. Some Russian Tour Guides work for absolutely no salary at all, and only makes money through commission.

Unless they have a number of Chinese speaking Thai tour guides available it's time for the government to allow Chinese tour guides to be legally licensed. On one hand Thailand wants all the tourists from Thailand but most of these people don't speak English or Thai....Maybe I am missing something.

I am sure the world is now a safer place well done , mean while crime is rampant and their is corruption in every level of society ,

Here's a Chinese guy providing a service to tourists, probably on behalf of a Thai employer, because he possesses the skills to do so, most likely due to his language abilities.

He's turning over baht on Phuket, and creating happy tourists, and in fact, is part of the local Phuket economy himself, and what do they do here - arrest and deport him.

How backward thinking can a self proclaimed "world class tourist destination" be?

I think the Police are doing a rather good job, actually.

Slow steps maybe but for all you nay-sayers, perhaps you might remember that the resources Thailand has are a tad more limited than clearly you hi-so people have.

"I think the Police are doing a rather good job, actually." - doing a good job at what, exactly?

I think the Police are doing a rather good job, actually.

Slow steps maybe but for all you nay-sayers, perhaps you might remember that the resources Thailand has are a tad more limited than clearly you hi-so people have.

"I think the Police are doing a rather good job, actually." - doing a good job at what, exactly?

Arresting law beakers, that's what exactly.

I am sure the world is now a safer place well done , mean while crime is rampant and their is corruption in every level of society ,

Here's a Chinese guy providing a service to tourists, probably on behalf of a Thai employer, because he possesses the skills to do so, most likely due to his language abilities.

He's turning over baht on Phuket, and creating happy tourists, and in fact, is part of the local Phuket economy himself, and what do they do here - arrest and deport him.

How backward thinking can a self proclaimed "world class tourist destination" be?

If the agency that employed the guide had done the right thing in the first place and had arranged for a work permit and Non B, the illegal worker wouldn't be in strife now. The agency is just as much to blame as the guide. Let's hope they get severely smacked on the wrist too.

Tour guide is occupation I think specifically prohibited by regulation. I don't think there is a possibility of WP then. This country is overrun with illicit foreign workers. Change the law, or drive them out. The truth is, as it is in America, it is never really the fault of the illegal alien, but of the employer, usually a citizen. If Thais who rmploy them actually faced heavy fines and GAOL this type of thing would never happen. Of course here corruption must be considered a primary facillitating factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by arunsakda