Obama: US trying to rescue American woman from Islamic State

webfact

Obama: US trying to rescue American woman from Islamic State

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the U.S. is doing everything in its power to try to rescue an American woman being held by Islamic State group militants.

A day after a Japanese journalist held by the militants was purportedly beheaded, Obama says the U.S. and its allies are deploying all available tools to identify a 26-year-old aid worker's location. He called her captivity heartbreaking.

The president spoke in an interview with NBC Sunday. The interview is airing Monday, but the network released excerpts in advance.

The woman was captured last year in Syria. U.S. officials have asked that the woman not be identified out of fears for her safety.

Obama says he has watched videos of hostages being beheaded and says the U.S. has to be aggressive in pursuing terrorists.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-02

• Like 1

the U.S. has to be aggressive in pursuing terrorists.

If they weren't so aggressive in creating them they would not need to be pursuing them.

Then again wheres the money in that? rolleyes.gif

Yes, they were just pacifists. Happy with their medieval life.

They just wanted to 'live and let live' with the rest of the world, in religious harmony.

And then the US came along and said give us your oil or else!

Edited by rijb

Being aggressive at pursuing terrorists is all very well, the trouble is the definition of terrorism has become so restricted through political correctness that it's difficult to find any who aren't now termed insurgents, freedom fighters or lone wolves.

These 'terrorists' are about to find out about pursuit. They pissed off the wrong people this time.

----------------------------------

“This is 9/11 for Japan,” said Kunihiko Miyake, a former high-ranking Japanese diplomat who has advised Mr. Abe on foreign affairs. “It is time for Japan to stop daydreaming that its good will and noble intentions would be enough to shield it from the dangerous world out there. Americans have faced this harsh reality, the French have faced it, and now we are, too.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/world/departing-from-countrys-pacifism-japanese-premier-vows-revenge-for-killings.html?&_r=0

Being aggressive at pursuing terrorists is all very well, the trouble is the definition of terrorism has become so restricted through political correctness that it's difficult to find any who aren't now termed insurgents, freedom fighters or lone wolves.

These 'terrorists' are about to find out about pursuit. They pissed off the wrong people this time.

----------------------------------

“This is 9/11 for Japan,” said Kunihiko Miyake, a former high-ranking Japanese diplomat who has advised Mr. Abe on foreign affairs. “It is time for Japan to stop daydreaming that its good will and noble intentions would be enough to shield it from the dangerous world out there. Americans have faced this harsh reality, the French have faced it, and now we are, too.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/world/departing-from-countrys-pacifism-japanese-premier-vows-revenge-for-killings.html?&_r=0

Good for Japan, if they have faced said reality, however I wouldn't cite the U.S, nor most of Europe as good examples of having done so. Nearly all the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi citizens, so Afghanistan was invaded and now Saudi citizens are categorized as having trusted flyer status and Islam is the religion of peace. Edited by Steely Dan
  • Like 1

Go in and finish the job with these folk who want to just kill folk for a non proven thing........Take them out............Show young gung ho religious kids that living a life and raising a family is what they are meant to do...

Farang/others guns are feeding their daft quest.............Feeders of guns for money wake up.............

All that high tech stuff plus the CIA.

The movies make it look easy but how hard is it to drop some military hard nuts on parachutes and do the rescue.

From what I read a lot of these so called ISIS terrorists are what Boris Johnson called the other day.

Wan**rs

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

The movies make it look easy but how hard is it to drop some military hard nuts on parachutes and do the rescue.

Drop some "military hard nuts on parachutes" ..

Among a gaggle of hundreds/thousands well-armed & murderous nut cases?

"Do the rescue" may sound easy, but --

Would you care to join the first plane load of "hard nuts" or the rescuers?

Edited by klikster
  • Like 2

Well they found some to take out Bin Laden on Obamas watch which is more than Cheney and Rumsfeld managed.

If they weren't so aggressive in creating them they would not need to be pursuing them.

They just wanted to 'live and let live' with the rest of the world, in religious harmony.

I think you are confused.

Even if the US motive is oil. The ISIS motive is the islamification of the world.

• Like 2

From what I read a lot of these so called ISIS terrorists are what Boris Johnson called the other day.

Wan**rs

There were previous attempts to free hostages, not all were successful.

Movies are not reality, or so I've heard.

• Like 1

I think you are confused.

Even if the US motive is oil. The ISIS motive is the islamification of the world.

So are you. I was being facetious. smile.png

• Like 1

Well they found some to take out Bin Laden on Obamas watch which is more than Cheney and Rumsfeld managed.

Totally different situation -- but I think you knew that.

Got nothing to do with politics, more to do with tactics and body count.

So a rabble of untrained foot soldiers can call the shots over the mighty high tech USA?

Underestimating the enemy is one way of losing a battle. And yes, there are many instances of the same - such is the nature of asymmetrical warfare. As you probably knew the answer already, I'd guess that the aim was to convey a sinister or absurd meaning to an otherwise complicated situation.

• Like 2

Wan**rs

There were previous attempts to free hostages, not all were successful.

Movies are not reality, or so I've heard.

Remember the attempt that SF made to liberate Son Tay POW camp in North Vietnam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C6%A1n_T%C3%A2y_prison_camp

But leave it to Chuck Norris to have accomplished the mission in Hollywood. wink.png

I might recall incorrectly, but in military circles the Son Tay raid[ers] were in a manner successful. The problem was, of course, the POWs were moved. But the mission was executed flawlessly, as I recall. I worked with and for some of the Son Tay raiders some years ago. My understanding was they were lauded because of execution; but their was faulty intel.

Everything is intel driven and in this world, HUMINT (human, on the ground intel) is vital. The US has a policy of freeing, avoiding, or killing all those that might provide humint.

It does not surprise me the US now finds itself impotent regarding executing current missions in the region.

and that is why Bin Laden still walks on the earth this day, really Your the insider of everything the US does/does not do? You should "seem to recall" that I doubt your an insider to much of anything.