Where is my best chance of making friends in Thailand?

sidjameson

Acquaintances can be easily met....friends on the other hand,..... I have two, both ladies. I don't think money has anything to do with it.... For various reasons that I won't go into here, the hardest friendship for me to cultivate was that of being my own best friend.

• Like 1

I do enjoy reading all these threads.

Where do I find friends?

Where do I find girlfriends?

Where do I find a hi-so wife with lots of money?

Next thread to come I expect it to be;

How do I tie my shoe laces?

You don't sound very mature man to me................although 47.

Next thread could well be another ridiculous post from you.

We have had plenty in the past with your name scribbled at the top.

You are very immature aren't you ?

Immature and entertaining/ humorous aren't the same....innit?

Come to Pattaya, join the two expat clubs, Pattaya Expat Club and Pattaya City Expat club, both meet weekly with over 100 expats in attendance every week, best way to get to know people.

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I don't much like Pattaya (I don't live there) but I used to have friends who did live there (we usually met when they came up to Bangkok on business). When I expressed skepticism, they said living there is entirely different from the impression you get from the tourist/beer bar scene, much better class of people. I used to hang out in various bars, shooting pool. There used to be pool tournaments on the weekends, but I think they died out. I live in Nakhon Sawan now, so don't know any english-speaking people at all.

Try Nha Trang, Vietnam...people genuinely friendly...women beautiful and approachable...not expensive...and oh so much better climate and environment...arguably one of the world's most beautiful beaches...

Edited by ggt
  • Like 2

Pattaya is where I made some really good friends. It took time to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

After the recent m/c accident I've mentioned on this forum, the bike was found, repaired and returned to the g/f ( me being in the U.K. currently ). 3,500 Baht for repairs. She did not have the cash. I phoned one of my friends to discuss me putting the money into his UK bank account. He offered to give her the money and for me to give it back to him on my return.

Moving condos before my return to the UK. Two of my friends moved all my stuff for me (me having a broken collar bone). A third drove his pick up truck to carry the stuff.

As I've mentioned before also on this forum, I've had friends store my belongings for me for 9 months while I was away.

These are just a few examples of what we do for each other.

People may knock Pattaya - I do too at times - but there are some great people there.

Friends, they are there but not out in the wilds of the countryside. And friends are cultivated, not taken for granted. Friends are people who help each other out as well as simply being there for a beer or the football.

Ao Nang - Krabi - mid south Thailand... great community of long stay tourist and expats, Local FB group of such people - 2000 members with all sorts of interaction. Krabi / Ao Nang Locals FB Group... outings for such things as Trash Heroes to clean up the beach,,, and about a hundred more things... Get out of Bkk

Sorry but Ao nang.......worst place I've been in Thailand, full of muslims and hardly any decent places to get a beer and extremely expensive!!!!!! Definitely a place to avoid!

• Like 1

The Gym sidjamison..... & its healthy at the same time, this is the 5th new country I have lived in--never failed to meet nice people at the Gym.................coffee1.gif

Was this post really to inform us that you have lived in 5 different countries and that we will be impressed.

Is this the real reason for this silly post ? Because that piece of scribble wasn't necessary was it ?

We are not impressed and we really don't give a sh*it

Gym its good advise...:)

Can meet chicks even too :)

Come to Pattaya, join the two expat clubs, Pattaya Expat Club and Pattaya City Expat club, both meet weekly with over 100 expats in attendance every week, best way to get to know people.

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I don't much like Pattaya (I don't live there) but I used to have friends who did live there (we usually met when they came up to Bangkok on business). When I expressed skepticism, they said living there is entirely different from the impression you get from the tourist/beer bar scene, much better class of people. I used to hang out in various bars, shooting pool. There used to be pool tournaments on the weekends, but I think they died out. I live in Nakhon Sawan now, so don't know any english-speaking people at all.

What the heck u doing in nakon Sawan ? u way better of in Pattaya with sunny beaches and pool joints..

Only 50k a month and only 47 years old.

I sincerely hope you have a legitimate visa of some description or there is a fair chance you might make some new friends in the immigration detention centre in the not so distant future.

Yes, not enough to qualify for income retirement; however, like many farqangs, B800k in a bank for three months will suffice.

Too bad you did not plan ahead.

Ao Nang - Krabi - mid south Thailand... great community of long stay tourist and expats, Local FB group of such people - 2000 members with all sorts of interaction. Krabi / Ao Nang Locals FB Group... outings for such things as Trash Heroes to clean up the beach,,, and about a hundred more things... Get out of Bkk

Stay away from places like Krabi and surrounding areas. Full of people that think they are quite good ! Stay in Bangkok

Sounds like advice form someone who hopes to make money from farangs in Bangkok.

For most people a taste for beer is not a good foundation for a good acquaintanceship or friendship. That should leave out using bars for your search. I advise going to meetings of your major interests and there the people will likely be compatible; or you can start your own interest group.

My interests are Buddhism as practice and intellectual study and hobbies like short wave radio and flying models (little planes, not women).

I found several Buddhist groups on the Internet and went to their meetings and found the hobbies meetings groups at the stores/shops selling these items. I guess there are on line bulletin boards and the like too. If you are military, they have interest groups meetings; I would like to visit the retired intelligence workers group, but haven't tried that yet, but should be good for a Walter Mitty trip.

I would stay in BKK because it has all interests and likely the most interesting people, too. For example, if you go to CM, you will just find retired old men who trade medication and sickness stories or go to Pattaya for war stories of all kinds such as women woes and beach conquests. wai.gif

Ever of moving to Cha-am.. A nice seaside town 160 k's south west of bangkok. Plenty of expats and activities. Plenty of bakeries and resturants if you want "farang" food, 25 ks from Huahin where you can get everything ( eg beetroot, oats from USA or Australia). Nice and cooler than BKK. Cooler than Chaingmia in summer and not as cold in the winter as the ocean moderates the temp. Condos on the beach front get a nice sea breeze. As well if you like a beer there are bars and girls. everything is cheaper than the big tourist town of Huahin.. There is a 5 k long Esplanade which gives the town a nice beach feeling.. visit and see for yourself.

Try Nha Trang, Vietnam...people genuinely friendly...women beautiful and approachable...not expensive...and oh so much better climate and environment...arguably one of the world's most beautiful beaches...

second that - people are more friendly in Vietnam but try Da Nang in stead: No Beach in Thailand can beat My Khe and food is better and cheaper

Dont know about visa but can it be more trouble than in Land of Shakedowns - I doubt it ....

For most people a taste for beer is not a good foundation for a good acquaintanceship or friendship. That should leave out using bars for your search. I advise going to meetings of your major interests and there the people will likely be compatible; or you can start your own interest group.

My interests are Buddhism as practice and intellectual study and hobbies like short wave radio and flying models (little planes, not women).

I found several Buddhist groups on the Internet and went to their meetings and found the hobbies meetings groups at the stores/shops selling these items. I guess there are on line bulletin boards and the like too. If you are military, they have interest groups meetings; I would like to visit the retired intelligence workers group, but haven't tried that yet, but should be good for a Walter Mitty trip.

I would stay in BKK because it has all interests and likely the most interesting people, too. For example, if you go to CM, you will just find retired old men who trade medication and sickness stories or go to Pattaya for war stories of all kinds such as women woes and beach conquests. wai.gif

Beer is the best foundation for a friendship.

The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand in the Maneeya Bldg on Ploenchit Road is a good place to make interesting friends. You don't have to be a journalist and can visit several times before becoming a member. It's definitely affordable.

Edited by Camelot
  • Like 1

There are many men walking around Soi 4 Suk which look like ladies.. maybe you should try there OP.

But if you are asking on a forum how to make friends.. maybe you should say hello to someone and get off the keyboard.

Only 50k a month and only 47 years old.

I sincerely hope you have a legitimate visa of some description or there is a fair chance you might make some new friends in the immigration detention centre in the not so distant future.

What on earth?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing

What on earth has the guy's visa got to do with anything. In every thread about staying/money/spending someone has to chime in with something about visas

I don't really care what visa people are on

• Like 1