Navy updates on Phuket's new airport and beach management systems

webfact

Navy updates on Phuket's new airport and beach management systems
Nattha Thepbamrung

1423808368_1-org.jpg
Royal Thai Navy Area 3̕s Admiral Sayan Prasongsamret.

PHUKET: -- Phuket International Airport is free from illegal activity, including black-plate taxis, and most visitors are impressed with the new management system according to Royal Thai Navy Area 3̕s Admiral Sayan Prasongsamret.

He made the statement at a media conference held yesterday (February 12) to give an update about the new Phuket International Airport and beach management systems.

“The progress made on the Airport management is satisfying. Parking and traffic inside the airport is way better than before.

“There are no more black-plate taxis, and the green-plate taxis are all set in groups with their own counters and boards which list the standard prices for their services.

“The desks are well managed, and the number of illegal tour desk has been reduced a lot. There have been no illegal tour guides found so far,” said Adm Sayan.

“80 per cent of the airport is being well managed. And the view of customers is that they are very happy and impressed.

“Furthermore, Phuket International Airport has just got the prize for Best Airport of the Nation,” he concluded.

With regards to the new beach management system and illegal buildings on public land (beaches), Cherng Talay is the area which has the most complicated issues to deal with.

After the Navy reported that there are still some remaining buildings on Surin and Laypang beaches following the official demolitions, Mayor of Cherng Talay, Ma' Ann Samran explained from his side about his attempt to probe these cases.

“We also have to follow the law. We cannot just rush to demolish them all, we have to go step by step,” he said.

“I have put a sign telling all restaurants and shops which are built on NorSorLor land (including Zazada, Catch and Bimi beach clubs and those which are using buildings that were previously built for Tsunami victims) at Surin beach to move.

“This also goes for five restaurant and bars at Laypang beach.

“As for beachfront hotels in the area, I have sent a letter to them to warn against putting umbrellas and beach loungers on the sand. It has been reported that a big hotel on Laypang beach was doing that before,” he said.

He also expressed his confidence to the meeting that business operators who were expelled from the beaches will not be able to get back in business at the same places.

“I have heard about them coming back, and I have recently reported 17 cases to Cherng Talay police who fined them B2,000 each. The police also warned them that if they come back again, they will be prosecuted further.”

Meanwhile, Phuket Governor, Nisit Jansomwong added that the processes have to be done gradually.

“We are dealing with locals, tourists and local authorities who have to get use to using the same system.

“It takes time to make everyone understand and follow the rules.

“There are three steps to make the system work, systematise, manage and build up sustainability. We are at the second stage.

“We are trying to use a management system which is new to Phuket to see if it works or not. After this, as I said before, OrBorTor and municipalities will have to issue their municipal laws about beach management.

“We will wait three months and let the Prince of Songkhla University team research and make reports on accomplishments of the system to make sure that it works and fits with the locals needs before becoming an official regulation,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-updates-on-phukets-new-airport-and-beach-management-systems-51004.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-13

And now the police are going round, handing out a sheet of paper saying in Thai only that they will arrest tourists for bringing their own chairs to the beach.. This is just weeks after they stated "we told the tourists, they can sunbathe and use beach chairs and umbrellas anywhere on the beach, if anyone gives them trouble, please tell the police"..

Now its "No summer dream on Beach".. I wonder if thats a TAT approved message..

Story on PW as I cant link it here.

And now the police are going round, handing out a sheet of paper saying in Thai only that they will arrest tourists for bringing their own chairs to the beach.. This is just weeks after they stated "we told the tourists, they can sunbathe and use beach chairs and umbrellas anywhere on the beach, if anyone gives them trouble, please tell the police"..

Now its "No summer dream on Beach".. I wonder if thats a TAT approved message..

Story on PW as I cant link it here.

Apparently now overridden by the Navy and the brochure was allegedly written in incomprehensible English so probably no harm done but these people need to engage what little brain power they have before irreparable damage is done to the tourist industry here (if it hasn't already been destroyed,that is).

How can a race of people ruin and dismantle one of their most beuitiful islands and assests through greed, corruption and mismanagment and bit by bit kill off the tourists $ Do they not see that one day it will be gone, never to return?

Complete and Utter Madness! But it will not be their fault of course... lol blink.png

Where do you have info that its been over ridden by Navy.. This navy thing was before the announcement.

It was on PW as an addendum to the article you quoted, maybe just for a short time as there's another article now that says the ban will be enforced by the police!

How can a race of people ruin and dismantle one of their most beuitiful islands and assests through greed, corruption and mismanagment and bit by bit kill off the tourists $ Do they not see that one day it will be gone, never to return?

Complete and Utter Madness! But it will not be their fault of course... lol blink.png

Being pro active & forward thinking is not a strong point here.

Was in boathouse yesterday and the beach umbrella guys are back in business. Boathouse used to provide well spaced sunbeds but we're banned along with other commercial activity. Now the front of boathouse is an absolute mess. Mouldy old scb bank umbrellas and scummy rubber mats.

It's worse than before the Navy cleared them out.

Back to a complete ban on sunbeds again, according to the unquotable source. That includes personal sunbeds.

Absolute madness, both the decision and the fluctuation.

I really hope that some brave tourists take their sunbeds to the beach tomorrow and see what ensues.

Back to a complete ban on sunbeds again, according to the unquotable source. That includes personal sunbeds.

Absolute madness, both the decision and the fluctuation.

I really hope that some brave tourists take their sunbeds to the beach tomorrow and see what ensues.

So its banned.. All clear.. Banned.. And definitely banned with threat of arrest..

In a single weekend.. Directly contradicting police chiefs comments of about 2 weeks ago saying "we wont arrest tourists" and "people are fine to bring their own chairs"

Lastly I would love to know what actual 'law' this violates.. I mean if they are going to arrest people, they must be committing a crime no ?? Otherwise its false arrest.. So as its OK not OK every other day, what actual crime is it, on the statute books, they are going to arrest people for.

I mean.. The cops do understand that what they do has to be within the law dont they (please stop laughing at the back)..

According to the article tourists will NOT be arrested.

But I would be very careful with that source,especially with this issue. It has been going back and forward for quite some time now, and it could easily be that the latest news is incorrect, quite often PW is incorrect.

I must admit though that that suspicion also stemms from my belief that this would be even for Patong police too stupid a measure to consider taking.