Basic mobile phone

Suradit69

I know this has been done to death and there was a good recent thread on this topic, but now I can't find it.

I need to replace my ancient Nokia mobile. I have a a desktop computer and iPad, so I have no need for anymore Internet access. Just want a phone for voice and to send/receive SMS messages and to be able to keep using my equally ancient AIS sim card and that phone number. Not particularly looking for something cheap. Something with good voice quality, easy to read display, decent battery life and likely to last for several years ... maybe Samsung or ASUS.

I'd appreciate suggestions or even a link to a recent thread on the same subject ... so I'll know what to ask for before getting to the overwhelming choices at TukCom in Pattaya.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Samsung Hero seems ok.. it's your basic Nokia style phone with some handy addonns like torch function

Thanks for your post.

That's definitely a basic phone, but it's probably a little too inexpensive. I'm a bit wary of ultra bargains. Maybe something in the Baht 4000 to 6000 range. I know more expensive doesn't always equate to better quality, but there's probably a good reason why it's priced that low.

Samsung Hero seems ok.. it's your basic Nokia style phone with some handy addonns like torch function

Thanks for your post.

That's definitely a basic phone, but it's probably a little too inexpensive. I'm a bit wary of ultra bargains. Maybe something in the Baht 4000 to 6000 range. I know more expensive doesn't always equate to better quality, but there's probably a good reason why it's priced that low.

I think you will struggle to find a budget phone THAT expensive .. Samsung also do more expensive versions 3g ones about 2k

• Like 1

Thanks for your post.

I think you will struggle to find a budget phone THAT expensive .. Samsung also do more expensive versions 3g ones about 2k

Well that's good news. I haven't really looked into anything yet, but assumed they'd be in that ball park. I can't recall what this old Nokia I have cost when I got it, but thought it was at least Baht 2000 or 3000.

Not sure if what I want is a "budget" phone. I simply don't want to be bothered with Internet or email on a phone, it's not because of frugality.

Maybe something in the Baht 4000 to 6000 range. I know more expensive doesn't always equate to better quality, but there's probably a good reason why it's priced that low.

Lenevo has some good, but inexpensive phones. Go have a look at them in Powerbuy. They've just opened a new superstore next to Foodland in Pattaya. http://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/mobiles.html?brand=335

Some background info on Lenevo in case you're worried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo

• Like 1

I got 2 iPhone4 second hand and both work very well. I got them in Europe for 4k bahts each and battery is still good. just an amazing phone. my girlfriend is very happy. before we had Android phone and they didn't work so well. maybe you should look at old iPhones 4 or 4S.

what I have noticed with Apple is you get updates even on old phones.

the quality of call is better thanks to anti noise mic.

the operative system(ios7) is clean and restricted (advantage is you don't have any crap or virus)

Edited by VIPinthailand
  • Like 1

Thanks for your post.

Ended up with a Nokia 225 dual sim. Nice large display and fonts adjustable to larger size. Sound quality is good. I guess if I feel the need I can add another sim card that would enable all the things not available with my simplistic voice & message capable AIS card.

Only downside is that it apparently can't be connected by USB data cable to computer. If I need to write something in Thai I liked being about to compose it on the computer and downloading it to the phone to send. But then that doesn't happen all that often.

nokia-220-dual-sim-black-.jpg

I would re-check about the USB connection.

Have a look at this website.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/225-dual-sim/specifications/#head_connectivity

Also, the phone's MicroSD card which can be used plugged into a computer (with a card reader) to transfer files from your computer.

Thanks. I just realized I need to buy a memory card ... which would explain why I couldn't transfer anything to the phone. Duh.facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

• Like 2

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/225-dual-sim/specifications/#head_connectivity

Also, the phone's MicroSD card which can be used plugged into a computer (with a card reader) to transfer files from your computer.

Thanks. I just realized I need to buy a memory card ... which would explain why I couldn't transfer anything to the phone. Duh.facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

BUT even with the cable and a memory card, all you can do is dump MP3 files, photos, etc into the memory and, if the phone recognizes the format, they'll be available under "music" or "photos" or whatever.

The phone is not compatible with Nokia PC Suite, so there's no editing/writing messages or file management etc from the computer, like there was with my previous ancient Nokia. I've searched on the Internet and quite a few other people made that discovery after purchasing the phone and expressed their grievances colorfully. Not a big deal, but I just assumed connecting to a compatible program on the computer would be fairly standard these days.

BUT even with the cable and a memory card, all you can do is dump MP3 files, photos, etc into the memory and, if the phone recognizes the format, they'll be available under "music" or "photos" or whatever.

The phone is not compatible with Nokia PC Suite, so there's no editing/writing messages or file management etc from the computer, like there was with my previous ancient Nokia. I've searched on the Internet and quite a few other people made that discovery after purchasing the phone and expressed their grievances colorfully. Not a big deal, but I just assumed connecting to a compatible program on the computer would be fairly standard these days.

I'm not sure if the problem is the phone or the software, Nokia Suite is very buggy.

My previous phone was the Nokia Asha 308 dual sim and I could not connect to my work computer, my laptop, my daughters computer or my downstairs computer but I could connect to my bedroom computer.

Nokia Suite was set up the same way on all computers and I used the same cable for connection to the computer, so there was no reason for this problem.

I have also had connection problems with other Nokia phones in the past.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your post.

Ended up with a Nokia 225 dual sim. Nice large display and fonts adjustable to larger size. Sound quality is good. I guess if I feel the need I can add another sim card that would enable all the things not available with my simplistic voice & message capable AIS card.

Only downside is that it apparently can't be connected by USB data cable to computer. If I need to write something in Thai I liked being about to compose it on the computer and downloading it to the phone to send. But then that doesn't happen all that often.

nokia-220-dual-sim-black-.jpg

As an update and possible warning ...

Not long after getting the Nokia 225 the audio level when talking on the phone dropped to almost inaudible. It was slightly better when using the earplug/head phone, but not much. Further problems and irritations surfaced , which sealed the deal and I gifted it to a Thai friend to fix and probably re-sell.

Gave in to the high-tech imperative and got a Samsung Galaxy Something-or-other Smartphone. I think it's already figured out it's smarter than me but I'm closing the gap now that we're getting to know each other. Actually I have to admit it's sort of fun to play about with ... especially when I attempt to respond to emails and learn that I'm obviously afflicted with fat fingers. The computer software is surprisingly clunky. The Nokia PC Suite I used with my ancient Nokia (the one before the recent Nokia 225 purchase) was far more user friendly and functional.

Samsung-Galaxy-S-Duos-2-%D9%85%D8%B4%DA%

Edited by Suradit69

If you want to compose something in Thai and then send it by phone plus you want something inexpensive, then maybe consider purchasing an ASUS Fonepad where the computing and phone functionality are on one integrated device. The current 7" Fonepad costs about 4k+ baht.

If you want to compose something in Thai and then send it by phone plus you want something inexpensive, then maybe consider purchasing an ASUS Fonepad where the computing and phone functionality are on one integrated device. The current 7" Fonepad costs about 4k+ baht.

Yeah.. but you look a proper wally holding a 7" tablet to your head when making/taking a call.

Staying with ASUS though, the dogsbollox Zenfone 2 will be released in Thailand in April so you should look around for the bargain-basement priced predecessor ASUS Zenfone 4 or 4.5 before they are sold out or returned for credit. PowerBuy in Central Beach Road Pattaya had about 10 of them last week... not on display and not being pushed either. Dual SIM, Bluetooth, wifi, makes the tea and puts the cat out. All for less than 4k baht.

post-35874-0-29899000-1427194339_thumb.j

Edited by NanLaew