French kite surfers hit high rise building on Jomthien beach

Lite Beer

French kite surfers hit high rise building on Jomthien beach

2-18-2015-9-55-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHONBURI: -- Two French kite surfers were seriously injured after gale-force wind lifted them 200 metres above the sea level and dragged both of them across the Satahip beach.

They later plunged into the top deck of the Ambasador City Jomthien Hotel in Chonburi.

Both suffered broken bones and have serious cut wounds.

The horrific incident took place at 4 p.m. Wednesday in front of Ambassador City Jomthien Hotel in Sattahip district of Chonburi province.

The two were identified as Mr Narayan Keita, 28, and Ms Tatyana Fadeyeva, 14.

Witnesses on the beach said both were seen on surfboards towed by large kites in the sea about 200 metres from the shore when sudden strong gust lifted both of them high into the air and began to head inland.

The gust lifted them 200 metres above the sea level, witnesses said.

They flew along the beach road and later plunged into the 40th deck of the hotel building.

Both were later helped down the ground floor before rescue workers rushed the girl to Pattaya Memorial hospital for treatment, while Mr Narayan who was in critical condition was sent to the Queen Sirikit hospital and now in the ICU for treatment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/french-kite-surfers-hit-high-rise-building-jomthien-beach

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-18

How much will they be charged for the damaged kite?

Nothing!

If they are really holders of French passports and are anything like the other French passport holders, they will have gone on holidays cheap without insurance, they will have expected the Kite rental to provide comprehensive insurance coverage and fail that, they will totally expect some government fund, in last resort the French government to cover the damages !!

And of course the same is expected regarding their medical expenses.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but that's the opinion held by most people in France :-(

Edited by manarak

I have been running the largest kite boarding school in pattaya for 8 years and was surprised to read this article. Does not make any sense. How can a kite loft 2 people 40 meters in the air? Will have to try to get more information about this tomorrow.[/

No Gail force winds on the beach in name jomtien today.

Seems it was a tandem para motor that crashed on the roof which makes more sense. Will conform with my para motor mates tomorrow.

I caught a glimpse of this on the TV news, it looked like a full size blue/green paraglider, not at all like the smaller parafoils used for kite surfing.

If the wind is capable of generating enough force to turn a 36-ton wind turbine blade, I'm sure it'll be quite capable of blasting a simple human being to a lofty height.

I'm also disgusted to read about some users laughing at others misfortunes. One of the kite surfers was critically injured and has been transferred to ICU. He or she may yet die.

post-101376-0-93042300-1424280134_thumb.

Seems it was a tandem para motor that crashed on the roof which makes more sense. Will conform with my para motor mates tomorrow.

I've only done one solo with para motor and this time of the season is the WORST to be doing this kind of riding. People will put others lives at risk for a baht.

Mr Narayan Keita, 28, and Ms Tatyana Fadeyeva, 14.

French !!

At the Ambassador they probably very quickly found people speaking their language.

поправляйся to them anyway.

true, we stayed there once and everything is written in Russian and you will be very hard pressed to find anyone who speaks English.

I've only done one solo with para motor and this time of the season is the WORST to be doing this kind of riding. People will put others lives at risk for a baht.

endless supply of fodder, sometimes you break a few eggs.

Mr Narayan Keita, 28, and Ms Tatyana Fadeyeva, 14.

French !!

At the Ambassador they probably very quickly found people speaking their language.

поправляйся to them anyway.

The gentlemen is from India though I do not see how that has anything to do with anything?