why thailand internet is not suitable for gaming

Silentios

Seriously, i have been playing an online game for months and sudenly its very slow. I really dont understand, i ping the server (143ms) but when i play the game its 9999 ?? really ???? Thailand has the worst internet in the world, the TWW might be ok, but connecting to WWW is a different story, it totally sux pings of 1000MS+ are just bad is every provider this bad???

If you want to be a hard-core gamer and live outside of where the people you want to game with live, then you'll need to learn more about how the Internet works and how to 'game' it.

Just as it's a bad idea to drive through congested areas of Bangkok where it's known to get congested as everyone is going to or getting off work, or when workers create traffic nightmares by starting projects without re-routing traffic -- so to is the Internet.

Try searching for how other gamers get around network issues. Special routing? DNS? Proxies? VPN? VPS? Open ports on their routers. What are all the tricks they employ before sitting down and connecting?

Not sure how bitching about it here is going to do for you.

Oh, nevermind. Someone will come along and let you know they were told it's a broken undersea cable. Or the Great firewall of Thailand. Or that your ISP has started throttling gamers. Or that its all the people using LINE sending stickers.

More than 1000 ms?

That sounds exceptional.

143 ms is quite "near".

Can you name concrete servers/IP adresses?

Just now I have:

230 to US west coast

470 to US east coast

390 to Germany

370 to UK

Times to east coast vary significantly depending on server (all are VPN servers).

On the other hand it is clear that they won't/can't get much better.

are just bad is every provider this bad

Would help if you describe what provider/technology you use.

I have ToT fibre.

TWW

???

• 2 weeks later...

If you're getting 9999ms when you play the game, but can ping it normally, then that sounds like the port is blocked or having a problem. As I'd imagine that when you ping it, you're just pinging the IP address, not the actual port specific to the game you're playing.

Alternatively of course it could be that the amount of data you're trying to transfer, is simply too high for your connection (This is unlikely though, unless you're on dialup lol, or perhaps a connection which is being rate shaped).

Either way, you'd need to present more information for people to assist you with finding what the problem is with your connection. Things like what game you're playing, your ISP, your location (Countryside/City?), what server within your game you're connecting to (US West/US East/European? etc) as well as what type of connection you have and how you're connecting to your router (e.g. wireless/LAN cable/bluetooth/infrared?)

OP maybe has a two problems that are causing this: 1. Dropped TCP packets due to bad network. 2. Packets Per Second (PPS) thoughput rate of connection is being flooded by the re-transmit requests that bad network is causing.

Another possiblity is you have a local network problem that is causing mis-routing.

i have played many mmorpg games on my pc with no issues even with my mobile huwei mobile connect sim card and also play on msn games daily, see i live a sad life but i'm one of the best non american card players hehe.

• 1 month later...

I like fighting games and it is impossible to play against anyone in USA or Europe because the pings times are naturally going to be too high because they are so far away. Using Singapore or Japanese servers is much better (but then I get my ass handed to me by everyone in Japan).

For Battlefield 4, using Australian servers was good, no noticeable lag or network problems.

But the bottom line is that Thailand is a terrible place for online gaming because of its location in the world, its internet infrastructure and the fact there are almost no local servers or local players. This is all made worse because I have True Internet in Bangkok and every night after 9pm when I want to game the internet just grinds to a halt ruining any chance of gaming I could have had despite all of the factors above!

• 1 month later...

What about PS4? Thinking about buying but playing online is a big factor. I have some friends who said they play FIFA online w/out much issue. FWIW I'm mostly interested in FIFA, GTA, Mortal Kombat atm.

I currently have 3BB 10mbs up / 512kbps down. I'm able to play all my PC games online with no issue (War Thunder, LoL, CS, etc)

It all depends on where the server you're connecting to is located, revgreen. I think those games are popular enough that they should have a decent south east asian community, and you should be able to find games that aren't too laggy.

9,999 ms in game with a ping of 140 outside of the game tells me it's either a port problem or a net code problem with the game. Try forwarding the proper ports to your game device's ip and let us know if the problem persists.

So some of my stats from SpeedTest -

Server - Down - Up - Latency

Bangkok - 10.7 Mb/s - .44 Mb/s - 52 ms

Los Angeles - 3.5 Mb/s - .48 Mb/s - 266 ms

Tokyo - 2.9 Mb/s - .52 Mb/s - 168 ms

London - 5.2 Mb/s - .50 Mb/s - 250 ms

Singapore - 8.1 Mb/s - .53 Mb/s - 69 ms

So assuming I'm playing against other people in Asia I should be fine, right? The 168 ms ping to Tokyo was a bit off-putting, but anything under 250 ms is playable right?

Would I see any benefit in upgrading my connection from 10 Mb/s down 512 Kb/s up to 15 Mb/s down 1 Mb/s up (with 3BB). Would it be worth the extra ~400 baht per month? My biggest concern is playing during peak hours, but I guess that'll be problematic no matter what plan I have.

No, a better connection won't improve the ping. They're limited by the speed with which signals can travel down fiber optic cables - so the speed of light basically. There's no physical way to make it faster. Those pings look about right, and there are plenty of gamers in Malaysia and Singapore. On recent games, you should have no trouble getting a playable game.

Anything below 250 ms is playable? Depends on a game. Shooters are played best below 100ms latency.

It is true that internet sucks here, I had 3BB fiber, now True all same garbage. Even HTTP is unbearable to use sometimes. I constantly get DNS probe errors. They send of the their "engineer" who will just change wifi channel on your router and done. I gave up.

Before someone adds, when I was back in the UK, I had Virgin Media. No issues playing on any server in EU, US or Even Asia. Had Street fighter matches with players in HK and JP. My friend from Thailand would game with me from time-to-time but had lots of lags.

So far I've been playing FIFA and GTA with no issues at all. I have even played against people in the US.

I only had an issue if the console was downloading in the background. Once I paused that it was running fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm living in a Isan (north Thailand), in a really small village. There can't be more remote area in Thailand than this. And I'm still playing CSGO at 50ms ping.... .

It also depends where are gaming servers located. If I'm playing at Asian servers, I will get 50 ms. If I play at Indians or Singapure servers I will get something like 250ms. And it also depends on your internet provider. Last year I hade True internet, during the day I had ping around 100 ms and at night around 50ms. Now I have 3BB and I have 50ms all day all night. Even when it rains (but my house is psychically connected to provider by cable).

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Use a quality lan cable.... as short as possible, not wireless. This made a huge difference for me. 

yes, I know its simple but sometimes overlooked.

I play WOT and get 60ms to Singapore, sometimes 40.

use killping app if you still have high ping... not expensive.

Use a quality lan cable.... as short as possible, not wireless. This made a huge difference for me. 
yes, I know its simple but sometimes overlooked.
I play WOT and get 60ms to Singapore, sometimes 40.
use killping app if you still have high ping... not expensive.

Yeah if there are servers in Asia then you're set. If not then there's nothing you can do.

I fixed my connection problems by moving back to the UK!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived