Flying British Airways. Economy. What's it like?

casualbiker

But 34 is more comfortable than 31

Cramped is cramped, I don't think degrees of crampness matter when you can't sleep in an upright position.

I appreciate Business tickets cost alot more but some people can only sleep horizontally.

. If I can only afford to fly economy, then I figure that I can't afford the holiday.

Ridiculous and insulting to the very high majority that fly Economy and are more than happy to do so. I'm 6'3" and have no issues.......

This difference between Biz and Economy from UK is around £1500 ish which covers an awful lot of entertainment

Not ridiculous and insulting at all. It's up to me what I spend my money on. And if flying economy is my only option, I will save more until I can afford better.

But 34 is more comfortable than 31

Cramped is cramped, I don't think degrees of crampness matter when you can't sleep in an upright position.

I appreciate Business tickets cost alot more but some people can only sleep horizontally.

. If I can only afford to fly economy, then I figure that I can't afford the holiday.

Ridiculous and insulting to the very high majority that fly Economy and are more than happy to do so. I'm 6'3" and have no issues.......

This difference between Biz and Economy from UK is around £1500 ish which covers an awful lot of entertainment

And the difference between premium economy and business one way is about £400. I consider it worth it.

I shouldn't really tell you this but I'm seeing returns Amsterdam to Bangkok with Etihad on certain dates in business class for £940 return.

Just promise me you won't tell anyone.

If you fly AMS-BKK via LHR on BA in business, It's about £500 or more less than just LHR-BKK.. Haven't worked out if they allow stop overs each way in London yet or I would combine a Bangkok trip with 2 long weekends in Amsterdam.

I shouldn't really tell you this but I'm seeing returns Amsterdam to Bangkok with Etihad on certain dates in business class for £940 return.

Just promise me you won't tell anyone.

If you fly AMS-BKK via LHR on BA in business, It's about £500 or more less than just LHR-BKK.. Haven't worked out if they allow stop overs each way in London yet or I would combine a Bangkok trip with 2 long weekends in Amsterdam.

Plenty more points too....but shhhh don't tell the sheep!

I flew BA last year, it was absolutely terrible. Food made my partner and I sick and having promoted BA in the past was very disappointed this time. Air India OTH was very good value recently

How and where was the stop over?

I flew BA last year, it was absolutely terrible. Food made my partner and I sick and having promoted BA in the past was very disappointed this time. Air India OTH was very good value recently

I've used Air india twice from London not as bad as most assume. Delhi is fine security a little OTT but no bad thing

It's OK, the seating is OK for me, although I'm tall, I'm also slim, so the seats were fine.

The meals were the worst I have had on an airline, but the cabin staff are very helpful

if you wanted a soft drink.

flew BA last year excellent flight, food good, plenty of drinks and the crew very good. IFE very poor nothing very British about it. 777=300er I think if they going over to A380 that would be wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

As ex airline staff,I avoid BA long haul like the plague. 31 inch legroom,tired crew etc. I'm 6'1'' and 31 inside leg,this means I find it very difficult to stretch my legs under the seat in front,to avoid DVT. Also my friends who are ex BA staff,fly to HKG to get Business class or jump on Thai,rather than fly economy on BA and their both under 5' 8''.

Even people who have flown on BA as couriers,won't do it again. No matter how cheap,unfortunately Full fare Airlines are going down the Bucket Airline route(pun intended),reducing legroom AND seat width to pack em in!.

As said before,check on Seat Guru,before you book. I'm Flying back on Thais Jumbo soon and I will certainly miss them the service/food and Singha![emoji482]

Edited by MAZ3

Sorry for the late reply, the stopover was so short that I hardly remember where it was, Mumbai I believe.

• 5 months later...

General warning for all passengers travelling in transit through Heathrow airport.

a friend of us wanted to visit her sister in Ireland. She got the visa for Ireland and bought a ticket with British airways.

Although on the website of the UK government it is clearly mentioned, that if you have a ticket on the same day as arriving on Heathrow for a flight to Ireland, and if you have a valid visa for Ireland you do not need a transit visa, she was denied boarding by a BA Bangkok supervisor.

I had a very unpleasant discussion with her about this, but this lady was not open for any arguments at all.

It seems ridiculous for me, that BA has to refuse now all transit passengers to the UK from Thailand and other countries. The fact is, that there are no direct flights from Thailand to Ireland, so you need to go to another country first. British Airways; waste of money and time.

Edited by theoldgit
Name removed as per forum rules.

I flew back from BKK to LHR in early August and the staff were great. Food was nice but the plane was completely full which always equates to a stressful flight IMO.

I had a group of 20 somethings sat in front of me and had seats reclined ALL way to London.

It did feel a bit cramped Im 6ft but my negatives are really nothing to do with BA.

2 times before this trip, I flew with KLM and Lufthansa and the flights were great because the planes were only half full! Seems the English frequent Thailand more than the Dutch or the Germans. I am going back next month again with BA, but actually wish it was with 1 of the other 2.

Reason for booking this time with BA . . . . Price.

I booked a cheap two way flight with BA cos mum was taken ill. Her illness turned into her death....My cheap return flight was stuffed cos now I had to deal with stuff...sad.png

I contacted BA to tell them my dilemma as I could not change flight dates with my cheap tickets...A lady at BA emailed me to post a death certificate, I did that. My return date was changed AND they gave me an upgrade....thumbsup.gif ...........clap2.gif

Nice to hear BA still has a heart even through all the changes. :)

Flew LHR to BKK never again worst flight experience I have ever had seats are cramped cabin crew were so rude and lazy it was horrible. Thought at one stage they had gone on strike non seen for 3 hrs found them in the galley area chatting away they saw me but even then it took them 3 mins to acknowledge I was there and a further 2 to finish there conversation. The plus side was I got a 70% rebate on ticket and a full refund on return flight booked Etihad for return luxury. I guess everyone on flight must have complained as as soon as I rang customer service gave them flight number there was no argument just refund as described and a full apology.However I would never fly BA again even for free

I flew with them 3 times last year, 2 were BKK- LON, LON- BKK, free upgrade to Economy + on the latter

One MIL- LON economy.

No complaints from me

I`m going to book between 2 - 6 flights with them this year.

N.B I`m fairly small so don`t need lots of space.

Service was good.

Terminal 5 HTR which is their hub is horrible, truly so IMO, hated it.

I do also fly EVA and like them .

smile.png

You mean T3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if BA have upgraded their economy cabins on the BK route but I always found EVA economy quite roomy (I'm 6'2). The next trip will probably be with Finnair. Very good value, plus you can upgrade the leg room on economy by paying a little bit extra. I'd like to try them out, especially as they are one if not the quickest 1 stop flight to Thailand from UK. Plus they have the new A350 on this route in a couple of months

Terminal 5 is BA's hub,they used to fly to BKK from T3(unless they've moved back.

Also I've heard EVA are reconfiguring their B777's,losing the two seats together in the rear of the economy cabins and I hope not, but believe their reducing the legroom.

Good old days in Thais Jumbos with 34 inch legroom are gone[emoji22],now A380 with 32 or some even 31! and their B777's are similar.

Whoa is me,whoa is me[emoji17]

I flew with them 3 times last year, 2 were BKK- LON, LON- BKK, free upgrade to Economy + on the latter

One MIL- LON economy.

No complaints from me

I`m going to book between 2 - 6 flights with them this year.

N.B I`m fairly small so don`t need lots of space.

Service was good.

Terminal 5 HTR which is their hub is horrible, truly so IMO, hated it.

I do also fly EVA and like them .

smile.png

You mean T3

No he means what he said, T5, the BKK flights now leave from there.