How do I report a school for harassment and bad behaviour?

KevWaters

Okay, I have scheduled a meeting with the Director of my current school for 3 hours time.

Basically, I would like to know as much as possible that I can mention to them to get them worried about being reported.

In a nutshell, they (1 person but her voice reigns supreme) have harassed me from my first day at the school. They tell me that my lesson plan (such as teaching about Guy Fawkes Night on 5th November) is not interesting, not popular and not relevant. They tell me that I think I am a superhero and look down on Thai people (despite having a Thai wife and Son). They hassle my students asking for information about my lessons to the extent that they come to me asking what is wrong. Also, they sent out a warning letter to me that was completely inaccurate stating they could cancel my contract with immediate effect if things did not improve. I presume all this was because they wanted to cut my 12 month contract short and not pay me for the holiday period. I pointed out the inaccuracies in warning letter and now they wont let me have a copy because I only complained to the Director now at the end of the term, and not at the time. In my defence, I was given the letter during a meeting with the Head of Department and made my feelings very clear at the time. Also, did not want to cause more of a stir midterm, I was just taking the abuse on the chin back then (with the exception of a 7,000 word complaint sent to the Head of Department about this persons behaviour).

So, in the meeting I will ask again for a copy of the warning letter and will tell them I will send it to the Ministy of Education and Labour Board with Student feedback attached to disprove it all. Also, will tell them (again) about my experience (I did send the 7,000 word complaint to them too but it was never answered - perhaps it's best to take it in person. I will tell my school I will make the British Council aware of their behaviour too.

It may seem extreme to you readers, I get that, but you must understand that this has been the most unhappiest year of my life and has just been complete hell gong to work everyday constantly watching over your back. I went them from being so happy in Isaan feeling valued by all to just being really miserable. I went from loving to teaching and feeling really motivated in that I was welcome and helping others, to just feeling like I never want to teach again (no doubt this will pass with the next good experience). So, I do want them to worry, but also if it is possible that the Labour Board do take action, that would be great and well deserved (two other teachers had the same problem last year and did not make it past the 6 month mark - so I guess I should see some achievement in that.

WHAT WOULD YOU MENTION IN THE MEETING THAT WOULD MAKE THEM WORRY AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THEIR BEHAVIOUR?

WHAT STEPS WOULD YOU TAKE TO TAKE ACTION IN REPORTING THE SCHOOL? (I live in "Phrae" in the North, would it require me going to Chiang Mai or Bangkok in person with all evidence (such as student feedback, an unanswered email to Head of Dept outline the harassment, and witness statements from previous teachers at the school)?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Edited by KevWaters
  • Like 1

Oh, and they also criticise the validity of my marriage to my wife. When I asked for a proof of address letter from them for my son's passport (as I am not named on the Tambien Baan/House Book) they requested to see my marriage certificates first. Of course, I told them they were of no use for this purpose and they did eventually give me the required letter.

N.B. It is just a teacher and the Director responsible for this craziness. Every other teacher was fine. It was just a shame that I didn't really see the other teachers that often, just these two.

Image deleted, I did try to delete it previously. Cheers for the heads up.

About the post, yeah I feel very bitter now about my experience. Who wouldn't.

I disagree with what you say about Guy Fawkes not being relevant to any school other than an International School. If it was not a true story I do not think you would say that. It would be somewhat boring if we were to focus only on true events in Thailand and not encourage use of imagination. Also, the school already celebrate and enoy Christmas and Valentines Day, and now they can learn more Guy Fawkes too! You may think Phrae is a small poor town but I can assure you the students here do see the world, and doubt many (if any) will just stay here working lowly paid jobs forever. Unlike my last school in Isaan, where you may have a point.

It was not about adapting teaching, the comments were not given before the lesson. Otherwise, I would have not had a problem changing it. It was just another excuse for one teacher to bash me over the head on a daily basis.

Thanks for your response, you seem lucky to have such nice experiences over your 24 years. Most schools here are such great places to work and I would still encourage any person reading this to go ahead and teach in Thailand if you are thinking about it. Just do your research first.

A 7,000 word complaint you wrote? I wouldn't read that. It would go straight into the round file.

Haha, I know, tell me about it.

I never intended to write the Head of Department such a long letter but I was so upset about my experience and there was so so much I needed to get off my chest. She is fully aware of what has been happening here but she can't intervene. She already had a nasty fight with the teacher in question because she got the HOD job instead of her. The teacher told her that she might have got the job but she will never be as beautiful, successful or as wealthy. This caused the HOD to cry and there is a very awkward atmosphere between them now. She tells me that she just can't do anything to help. She did buy me a nice Christmas present though (Kwan Jai!). The HOD is very nice, but I do feel massively let down by her, as she is the one person who should help.

Should I write to the Labour Board again (or go in person) I will try to keep it below 2,000 words.

It did take it's toll on my family life too. Bringing up a newborn (now 6 months old) and having to go to work to this everyday was a nightmare. My mind just wasn't there at home a lot of the time. The most distracting issues were those such as the teacher saying she would get my visa cancelled so I could never work again, because I wouldn't sign a warning letter that made no sense and the class it refers to agree is not true. She would also spread gossip around the staff room saying I did not want to join social events because I would rather "fly to singapore than spend money with them". None of it was true. To start this she would tell me the price was ten times higher than it was when inviting me so I would say no.

There are so many issues, you can easily see how I reached 7,000 words. I wont bore you with them, don't worry.

Thanks all, I will just ask for a copy of the letter and will not make any further comment with them.

I will send it to the Labour Board etc (will research that next week when I have more time) with my complaint. If anything, just for my own closure of this horrible 12 months.

The lesson on Guy Fawkes taken the form of a CSI and the would form opinions on whether he was guilty of the crime of High Treason. They were given evidence sheets and would work in groups to look for reasons for and against his charge. They would then present their findings. The second part was to write a short script and act out a scene from his story. They loved it, they even made and brought their own props. Give Thai students a chance to be creative or act and they will jump at it.

WHAT STEPS WOULD YOU TAKE TO TAKE IN ACTION IN REPORTING THE SCHOOL

Very big ones out of both Thailand and teaching.

The posting of the image of I presume your students is indeed a gross breach of privacy, common sense and etiquette..

With all due respect unless you are employed by the British Council they will not take any action.

Guy Fawkes is not relevant to the students, in an International school yes there would be an interest. and it would be a relevant topic.

Sadly you come across as a very bitter person who is unable to or unwilling to bend and adapt your teaching input to the region, Phrae is not Bangkok nor North London either.

Pick up your bags and go, drop the anger if you want to stay here and learn to give and take a bit more.

I've had 24 years of teaching here in Thailand at all levels and in all school programmes .It is your or our task to adapt and modify our input so as to promote our agenda along with the Thai agenda, you know , ''Fusion Education as opposed to ''Fusion Food.''

However ''best of luck and do let us know how things go for you please.''

agree with the above.

i am concerned that you mention your grievance letter was 7000 words long, the letter length is irrelevant. you should a write a letter that clearly and succinctly states the issues you have. a long diatribe will not be read especially if the recipient is a non-native speaker and your complaint/s will most likely be lost in all the waffle.

as a teacher of English you should be able to communicate effectively.

some of your basic grammar and lexical errors are worrying.

• Like 2

Okay, lunch time...and then the meeting smile.png thanks all for your contributions. I do feel much calmer now.

(Sorry to shoot you down Samsensam - no hard feelings thumbsup.gif )

He had a perfectly legitimate comment about that letter being 7,000 words.

No one would go through it all even if they were Native speakers.

If you can't get your point across simply and directly, you'll have problems.

You seem very confrontational and I think that's part of the problems.

I think you are finished at that school; threatening them with reporting them will only make matters worse.

I don't like Samsensam's lack of capitals either, but your writing does become poor and falls apart for the final paragraph. I can't imagine 7,000 words of it.

Good luck at your new school.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 2

Re-read your post, and your own 7,000 word complaint again. Paranoia is a real disease, and can be treated. I am not trying to be negative regarding your comments. It is clear that there is a real issue here, and much of it may be just in your mind. No one keeps hitting their head against a wall in which they have to realize is not going to give way. I wish you the best, but I do encourage you to seek professional help with this issue. You will be much happier.

Here it comes, the grammar post from someone who starts their sentences without capital letters. Also, this is a forum and therefore you can leave your grammar policing at the door.

The 7,000 words were needed and there was no waffling. Like I said, there was so much to mention. I surprised myself with it's length, but could not cut it down without losing important information about the many experiences I have encountered. All of the comments were already told to the Head of Department, this was me putting them in writing for my own record.

Granted - I trust you have had countless bad experiences and I would like to write a few chapters if you were to publish a book.

Writing stuff down can be part of "the creative process".

But in reality, both the writing and the verbal complaints are kind of pointless, detrimental and sure to backfire big time!

• It's the first hour of the first day at a school. I ask about books. A: "no books".
  • then my class gets interrupted weeks later and the HoD demands that I use "the book"

Schools perfect the art of conning teachers. One school promised a certain salary in writing to Chinese teachers, making them fly over in the belief that they would be earning the promised salary. Next, the "Remuneration Committee" could only agree to pay thousands less.

Or they lure teachers with a promised 12 months' contract and then that gets changed into something like a 9.5 months' contract.

Whatever they do, they will have planned the next 5 moves like some chess Grand Master. That's why you need to focus on the one thing they really want: to fire you so that they can grab your salary!

From what I can see it is a inferiority complex that this person has. Her only recourse is to decry you and your content you bring to the classroom. Would suggest you totally ignore her if she says anything to the point of making her invisible.

If you have to communicate on school issues make it as brief as you can.

I have done this to people and if they look at me confused I tell them I will say it in pigeon English so they can understand. They dont come back again

After reading your post I thought that you sounded a little irate and anxious... especially when putting some of the narrative in upper case!

I was harrassed also by one power lady who was in bed with boss as they say. When it got too much I decided to hand in my resignation at a time that was not very convenient to them. The boss would not let me resign and I asked him to do something about the person. He did this and its been great since and I would not want to leave this job.

I suspect that the person that doesnt like you has her reasons and now is probably turning some of the students against you as well. You must make the students like you and respect you as a teacher. If this is not the case in your school then you could lose your job.

You sound a little out of touch writing a 7000 word letter. I thought that this might be a troll thread as I could not imagine any farang wasting his/her time doing this. Obviously no thai would read this and I suspect no foreigner would either?

good luck dude

• Like 1

Like many, I have not read all the posts, but It looks like , "he said, she said", and in this case, "she" will undoubtedly be listened to with most attention.

I doubt that even if you had affidavits and videos and petitions on your behalf, that you could prevail, largely because you would be causing great loss of face to a Thai. I cannot really believe you can carry any other expectation.

I support an early poster's advice.

Go elsewhere.

• Like 1

I taught for 20 years in ESL, OP, in every situation imaginable and in 4 different countries and under management of 7 different nationalities. Sadly, the way you are being treated has become par for the course. I have left teaching because I am fed up, despite having enjoyed teaching immensely, the amount flack from incompetent management with MBAs and the current prevailing notion of education as nothing more than being about business just ruins it and ruins the students' educational possibilities pretty well I might add.

I would also add that they probably simply just don't like you because you sound like you have a sense of what's right and wrong and try and hold them to it. Anything less than silent smiling obedience with a dash of obsequiousness is sadly considered how an employee should behave in Thailand and many other countries I might add. Like many others are saying, it is about money and numbers and they can get someone from the Philippines or Camerouns for 15,000/month anyway, so they are already resenting you from the get go having to pay you more and that is one of the handfull of things that matter in education as a business.

As for going to some authority to make the school worry about consequences, that kind of tack just isn't going to fly in Thai culture at all. The last thing people should be asked to do here is worry or consider consequences. Any authorities that do exist, I'd be really surprised, they likely have had to buy their job position, so have no sense that they have any further obligations.

I cast my vote with many of the others, it is best to get out of the situation asap and start afresh. It is very hard to find a good place to teach in Thailand, but you likely could get a better situation. At the meeting I would be compromising and trying to set the tone for at least getting a dishonourable discharge from the school as opposed to going on the offense. I would apologise for whatever problems they bring up, whether real or not, express regret that the arrangement hasn't worked out and ask to be let go when it is convenient for the school. Perhaps you could get some kind of a good reference or letter of recommendation out of it, though that may be a long shot, and I personally would have great difficulty trusting them to give a good reference as they do sound as though they are angry with you about something and perhaps someone has lost face over some mysterious perhaps even semi-imagined issue. Even if a reference would be useless, the whole psychology of getting them to write a good recommendation letter might help ease them into a better frame of mind about you, help them see perhaps that you are not that bad actually and which could help to defuse the whole situation and smooth out the last month so that they don't continue trying to get back at you or attack you further as you are going out the door or even after should the opportunity arise.

Kev Waters. me me me.I thought only Thais thought they were better than others.

You have proved me wrong. I sent a 7000 word report hells teeth !!!cheesy.gif

You think any Thai would take time to read itcheesy.gif

Dream on, get a life and go join the REALworld.

• Like 2

Firstly, I should say I am not trying to continue for another year at the school, that would be hell. Anyhow, it was always my intention to stay for one.

Regarding my grammar, I don't claim to be fantastic, but it is good enough to be a conversational English Teacher for sure. So don't feel concerned as you say.

Now we only have 6 days left at the school, and it was never my intention to stay longer than one year so whether or not they want me for next year is not the issue here. The tip to ignore is a good one, that is exactly what I did. I moved from sitting behind her in an office, to sitting with the Head of Department (a much more pleasant lady). There was no trouble or complaints since I taken that decision on Christmas Day (when I got the warning letter) other than her voiced anger at not having control over me.

Anyhow, about the outcome of the meeting....

RE. The Meeting

I have just come out of the meeting and it went very well. I kept my calm as I always do.

The teacher said that I could not have a copy of the warning letter because I did not need it. We argued a little about her calling my evil inside, insulting my marriage and the other personal attacks etc and she denied it all even though the Head of Department (HOD) was silently sitting in the room. She stormed out and then things got much better and worked in my favour. The HOD said that she is a blunt speaker and says things even to them like she does not like them and they should do things differently. They told me it was not an official warning letter anyway (even though they signed it), begged me to ignore her and not take the matter further and offered to give me a good recommendation letter for the future.

All in all. Not a bad meeting. I feel like I have got the closure I required.

All those that live in Isaan, you should feel proud that you picked a beautiful place. The people there are gold.

• Like 1