getting from don muang to sukhumvit around 6pm on a friday

StevieH

hi all - what's the best way of getting from don muang airport to sukhumvit soi 6/8 on a friday around 5pm or 6pm please? taxi all the way or would that mean sitting in traffic? taxi to mo chit plus BTS to nana a better option?

Your query would have been better placed in the DMK forum, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/171-don-mueang-airport-forum/

Traffic will be terrible at that time. Take the A1 bus (it uses the expressway) from DMK to BTS Mo Chit and then to Nana station, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current_new.aspx

ah, didn't even realise there was a DMK forum.

but thanks for the answers both, much appreciated.

As you go across the pedestrian bridge to the Amari, exit and go down the stairs before you cross the main road.

This will take you down to the main road going in the right direction (Southbound) for Mo Chit BTS.

There are plenty of taxis that pass this area and often they will be queued at the bottom of the stairs waiting for passengers.

From here to Mo Chit BTS will cost about 100-120 baht.

• Like 1

Stevie...walk across to the Amari hotel and get a taxi to Mo Chit from there...you will save a lot of taxi queue time doing that.

The hotel is signposted inside the airport.

I can't speak for that particular hotel, but catching a taxi sitting in front of a tourist hotel is usually a recipe for paying 5x the legal fare.

As a rule, I always flag down a moving taxi. I started doing that after being "disappointed" too many times by stationary lurking taxis in front of too many hotels.

I'd go with fishbrando's plan...

Edited by impulse

I did that same trip last Friday but at noon. I went upstairs and got my taxi as he dropped a passenger at departures. Used the meter and about 115 baht to Mo Chit BTS. Got off at Nana right at Soi 6 and walked 3 minutes to the guesthouse. Traffic at that time will be much worse but still your best option I think.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Stevie...walk across to the Amari hotel and get a taxi to Mo Chit from there...you will save a lot of taxi queue time doing that.

The hotel is signposted inside the airport.

I can't speak for that particular hotel, but catching a taxi sitting in front of a tourist hotel is usually a recipe for paying 5x the legal fare.

As a rule, I always flag down a moving taxi. I started doing that after being "disappointed" too many times by stationary lurking taxis in front of too many hotels.

I'd go with fishbrando's plan...

They will try and charge atleast 500 to 700 baht from the Amari they tried it on me last year better to get one at the airport or or before the amari

I've done this journey numerous times and never been overcharged for it. Just wait for a taxi dropping off and get in....simple as that!

Edit: To add....Fishbrando's idea sounds even better so I will try that next time.

Edited by smokie36

If your budget will stretch to it, arrange a helicopter transfer direct from Don Muang to the roof of your hotel. Some of the decent hotels in Bangkok (e.g. Mandarin Oriental, Kempinski, Peninsula) have a helicopter pad on the roof. A few others have one on the ground level. You should be paying 5,000 - 10,000 and the trip will take 5 - 10 minutes. For the convenience, it's worth it if you're in a hurry and your time is valuable.