Credit card for online purchases

Hi,

Looked in previous threads but couldnt find.

I have a SCB and Bangkok Bank card, but neither can purchase online. What banks offer credit cards that can be used online.

Will have work permits etc in Bangkok, so that shouldnt be a problem.

Any recommendations?

I have a BB Visa and MasterCard and have had for only a few months. Today I used the MC to purchase online. No problems whatsoever. Web merchant was Lazada. Thus, I think the problem may lie not with the credit card generically, but with some restriction the bank has put on your card. You've checked with them?

Thanks Seligne.

SCB just say their visa doesnt work for online purchases, which seems very strange.

The Bangkok Bank one is just for ATM withdrawal, which is fair enough.

My BB debit card, as distinct from the credit cards, has a Visa logo on the front. I have used it in ATMs, in shops, and one time for an online flight ticket.

Thanks Seligne.

SCB just say their visa doesnt work for online purchases, which seems very strange.

The Bangkok Bank one is just for ATM withdrawal, which is fair enough.

Who ever told you that at SCB is talking through their arse, I have an SCB credit card (mastercard) and purchase stuff on line all the time..

Edit...your talking about a debit card/ATM card ain't you not an SCB CC ?

Edited by Soutpeel

I have a Be 1st Bangkok Bank debit card , I use it in the ATM and I purchase online good from anywhere in the world.

Go into your Bkk bank and explain what you want to use it for , and they should set it up for you.

I have a BB ATM/debit card and I have used it many times to purchase online items. There is a process to get the card active for online purchases. If I recall this process is explained on their website. The card is used online as a debit card not a credit card as the purchases are debited immediately from the account

SCB offers the option of a "virtual card" which is designed in order to make online purchases. I personally use it and it works fairly fine. The card can be charged via SCB easy internet banking.

For more information log into your SCB easy account as it is currently being advertised. Or check out the web:

http://www.scb.co.th/th/personal-banking/scb-card/virtual-prepaid-card

for bangkok bank b1st card, you need to activate it for online payments here https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblenroll/bkkCard.aspx

After which, you can use the be1st card just like a credit card. Your name and address will be associated with the card.

So if I have a normal debit card I can turn it into a credit card (virtual), without going to the bank?

for bangkok bank b1st card, you need to activate it for online payments here https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblenroll/bkkCard.aspx

After which, you can use the be1st card just like a credit card. Your name and address will be associated with the card.

So if I have a normal debit card I can turn it into a credit card (virtual), without going to the bank?

Yes, the be1st card debit card must first be activated with the link I provided. This will then associate the card with your name and address so that online purchases can pass AVS security (usually your name and postal code, CVV2) After which it can be used just like a credit card anywhere in the world.

I do not think the BB Be1st card once activated for online use is used "just like a credit card". I know when I purchased something it gets debited immediately from my BB savings account associated with the card not added to some credit account to be billed later so this is not "like a credit card"

of course its not billed later sherlock. I was simply stating the fact the card can be used as a credit card for online and offline purchases once activated with the link I provided. If not activated it cannot be used for those purposes. The credit would be the money in your account, the same as a credit card has a credit limit.

My name is not Sherlock and I sense you taking offense to my comments. I mean no offense just stating my opinion based on my personal knowledge

We may be talking semantics here but a credit card is just that. You get credit saying you will pay later based on some agreement made before you get the credit card.

A bank debit card is not a "credit' card as there is no credit given to pay based on any account or agreement. The receiver such as Lazada or the airline once the transaction is initiated will check said account linked to that card and if there is no money in that account the transaction will be denied. If there is money to cover the purchase then the transaction will proceed. IMHO there is no "credit" involved in this transaction as with a true CC. You the buyer are making this transaction just as if you were using cash from the old wallet and no trust and credit is involved.

When the card is activated for this purpose there is no credit given by the bank. By the way I have never had to activate my ATM/debit card for in store purchases only the online virtual type. I have always been able to use my ATM/debit cards at stores, gas stations and wherever they accept a debit card within Thailand and no service fees involved. These transactions were "same as cash" purchases.

A debit card once active for online purchasing can be a real danger if lost or stolen as it is like giving your wallet to someone. You do not need to input any PIN number to do the transaction or sign any slip. When I use mine there is no message from my bank asking if this is an authorized purchase. I get an SMS after the purchase telling me it happened

I just registered it and am excited as usually I tranfer money online from Bkk Bank to my UK credit card and have to pay 300 baht each time.

How long is the activation period?

call or visit your bank ...

they will be happy to answer all your questions .........coffee1.gif

I just registered it and am excited as usually I tranfer money online from Bkk Bank to my UK credit card and have to pay 300 baht each time.

I'm constantly amazed at wisdom I receive from this forum.

Or how about the wisdom of funding a UK credit card from an baht account in Thailand?

Or how about the wisdom of funding a UK credit card from an baht account in Thailand?

I doubt your motives for posting this are honorable or but in case they are :-

A few years ago it was my only option for a CC and 300 baht was a pittance compared to the amounts I was sending. I used to fund it from RBS account and still do sometimes.

Involves exchange rates and a poker site which I can't discuss here for obvious reasons.