"Knows how to look pretty" as important skill for a teacher

Such an ad would trigger some backlash in the USA.

I think thats the reason many of us left the USA, backlash over nothing & other silly ideas. Have a look at the flight attendants on an average on US airlines........bah.gif

Edited by rotary
  • Like 2

I think thats the reason many of us left the USA, backlash over nothing & other silly ideas. Have a look at the flight attendants on an average on US airlines........bah.gif

To be fair, discriminating against teachers for skin color and if they look good or not isn't exactly nothing and silly. thumbsup.gif

Oh right, and the gender heh. Good thing I'm not trying to compete for that job I'd be <deleted> two outta three on this one!

Edited by aarontendo
  • Like 1

My only surprise is they didn't specify the age as is common in so many Thai job postings. "Young, pretty filipina wanted for teaching English. Must be single and not above 25 years old." Typical ad written by a sex-starved school administrator.

• Like 1

Guess I will have to put my ladyboy skirt on again.

Not sure anymore if I am a B-C-D cup size, getting a bit soggy. Might have to go shopping, any (young and rich) gentlemen out there wub.png . I know how to spend your money.

I am sexy, all the girls and gay guys tell me everydaycheesy.gif

Edited by ronthai

People also need/want certain genders for certain jobs in the west. However, since they are not always allowed to write that in the ad, they simply ask everyone to apply, and then throw out all the applications for the gender they do not want. Now that is indeed a much better way to waste everyones time smile.png

• Like 2

Yes, of course ....trying to enforce any kind of equality or opportunity in the workforce or within education is total BS ....I'm never flying on a US domestic airline until all the employees are confirmed atheists, until they are all men who look like George Clooney, and unless I can have a free seat next to me at all times, and that is WHY I moved to Thailand!!

I know most of you moved here for just as compelling reasons.

• Like 1

And the reason they want a Filipino is because they think they can get away with paying them less.

Lost in translation or not? Not. Just as shallow as it appears.

I taught English in BKK for 10 years (with a TEFL certificate but without a degree - lynch me if you will) and I felt extremely uncomfortable that My Filipino co-worker was paid considerably less than I was, despite her Masters degree in education, obvious skill in the classroom and excellent spoken English.

Think about it...21K for a teacher who is better qualified (probably) than the director, who actually likes the students and tries her best for them! 10 years ago in BKK Philopna(?) teachers were paid 25K and a few years before that 30K.....things must be getting desperate in the Philipines?sad.pngwai.gif

?what is the problem??

the school would like to hire a filipina english teacher.

they are quite qualified, don't you think?

i have seen ads in many countries, for many different jobs.

they specifily age; under 25, under 30, under 35 etc.

also wish pictures, identify sex, on and on

wow, get over it. this is the real world.

surely the employer has some rights.

or ummmm, don't they, in your sheltered world, imho

If your written English is in any way indicative of your ability to understand the issues discussed in this thread so far, then your post makes absolute sense. You're absolutely right, we should be thinking of the employers rights because god knows employees in Thailand are really over-blessed when it comes to fair practice.

And the reason they want a Filipino is because they think they can get away with paying them less.

Lost in translation or not? Not. Just as shallow as it appears.

I taught English in BKK for 10 years (with a TEFL certificate but without a degree - lynch me if you will) and I felt extremely uncomfortable that My Filipino co-worker was paid considerably less than I was, despite her Masters degree in education, obvious skill in the classroom and excellent spoken English.

Oh it's not just think, they do get away with it tongue.png

I actually agree with this type of advertising

1) specific. Not wasting time applying for jobs with vague descriptions (politically correct) where the employer knows exactly what he/she wants

2) I did better at subjects at school when my teachers were young and pretty acne cheerful. Boys respond better to them than to some old fat woman with a short temper because her husband left her for a younger more beautiful woman.

Some people don't like this but it is a reality.

• Like 2

Talking about words and expressions,

When I first came here my Thai family continually used the words ...she looks sexy....ummm, I thought do they mean that.

Anyhow after a year or so I said to them do you really mean sexy or do u mean good looking or nice dress etc.

They were appalled when they finally worked out what looking sexy meant.

Yes they meant to say looks nice or similar.

• Like 2

I flew United to the US once. Horrible, they were. The kiwi next to me quipped to an attendant "you are allowed to smile, you know". She didn't comply...There seems to be a minimum age requirement too:)