Tefl International- Thai Special Project

TenDreams

Hi all,

I am interested in participating in this 'special project',

http://www.teflintl.com/thai_special_project.htm

but wonder if anyone has any knowledge of TEFL International or the programmes that they run?

I was accepted on the project, and confirmed my place. After sending some copies of documents, I have now been sent a contract and some letters (mostly in Thai) that I'm to take to the embassy in order to get a visa. I'm just seeking advice because the project is supposed to only be 4 months of teaching (though the contract I have to sign states 1 year) and the project offers 'many locations to choose from all over Thailand' (I seem to have a contract from a school in a part of Thailand I have never heard of, let alone chosen - Mahasarakham, I have looked into this place, but have particular reasons for wanting to be in central or southern Thailand). Oh, and the contract has no mention of TEFL International, but 'Media Kids' instead, who I had not heard of up until now.

Anyone got any opinions on how this looks? I can find little information regarding the reputation of Media Kids or TEFL International.

Sorry for the vaguness of this query.

Thanks for reading.

I believe TEFL International is, indeed, a large system of TEFL schools. If I were you, I'd write them back directly for answers. I don't know how Media Kids relates to the school.

It's a remarkable program and, if it works out as planned, might be a very good deal. There are various alternatives, of course, but this is a package deal that advertises good remuneration.

Since it's a new project, it's hard to say how it will work out.

There's a thread on Dave's about it and the general concensus (sp?) seems to be....if you want training get training, if you want work....get work....there's no need to pay for it.

Media Kids are so so...I know a few people that worked for them and didn't really rate them at all.

Not bad for a newbie I suppose, but there's better out there.

Most people will want to work more South than North, so prepare to be disappointed.

Anyone got any opinions on how this looks? I can find little information regarding the reputation of Media Kids or TEFL International.

Sorry for the vaguness of this query.

Thanks for reading.

TEFL International is a sales outfit, much like one which sells used cars. They don't have any contract for bulk groups teachers. It is all about getting you to pay them for a course. Media Kids advertises all the time on ajarn.com.. They work with the University in the area you mentioned so the rumor goes.

It is very simple. If you have a legitimate college degree and are a native speaker of English don't bother with the various used car outfits. You can find work easily enough with those two qualifications. You can even get a work permit and VISA to teach. Some will claim you need the TEFL Certificate but remember the source of the claim, someone trying to SELL you a course.

cheers mate. Susan

^ Depends on who, what and where you are working I'm afraid. Also can depend on your local MoE and what they perceive the requirements to be (as it's down to them and not you).

So while you're correct is SOME cases, in others you're not correct.

By all means confirm this by contacting the MoE 10 times and seeing all the different answers you get.

Edited by kenkannif