Hiding from Songkran ........ Dear Mods,

MaeJoMTB

We skipped out-of-town this year and are at our house in the village in the middle of NoWhereVille, Lamphun. In my immediate neighborhood, I've seen.......nothing. No water fights, no crazy people, just business as usual. Today (Monday) people are even out working. There's a party somewhere out here, as I can hear the music, but other than that, it's a pretty typical, laid-back day in the village. I like it! This will have to become the default game plan in the future. Seven Songkrans in Meung Chiang Mai is enough.

Green acres is the place to be
Farm living is the life for me
Land spreading out,
so far and wide
Keep Manhattan,
just give me that countryside.

I'll have to modify that for Thailand, Lol. Showing my age too!

Edited by connda

re

Bonus points....they have found the karaoke microphones...now if only the could find good voices

like at the temple fairs ?

I love watching the little lovelies dancing with the singer

they put so much zing into it , its a pleasure to see but as you say can be painfull on the ears as well :(

ive just had a two very expensive nights in yangon but had to come home quickly :(

I left my bike at the airport on Friday coz I was supposed to be there for a week so I wasn't coming home on that today

and the kind taxi people at the airport have put in town trips up to 250 baht for songkran ... it was 150 baht in town trips when I last got a taxi from the airport !

dave2

post-42592-0-90806000-1428917792_thumb.j

• Like 2

We've avoided the mayhem by staying home cleaning the garden following recent storms. Last nights blackout had me reading all sorts of stuff online via tablet/mobile data and I caught up with stickmans latest blog... all about us.

I note ant colonies on the move to higher ground, those I haven't annihilated, so I guess more widespread rain is on it's way.

Happy Songkran to all. :)

• Like 1

Just back from my recon mission and it's official, the lunatics have taken over the asylum... Everyone is fair game anywhere around the moat and in the old city... No shortage of alcoholic beverages on offer, along with barrels of moat water to reload your weapon of choice... Some brave souls were even swimming in the moat!!! I now have to gargle with kerosine to kill whatever I ingested from the moat due to a sniper hitting me right in the mouth as I was having a drink...

Be forewarned, the BiB have the tents setup, the cones are out and the check point manned and ready for customers on the moat road, westbound near Chiang Mai Gate...

• Like 1

Just ventured out -- to the condo swimming pool. Very quiet. In previous years, it's sometimes taken over by families playing Songkran with their kids, throwing buckets of pool water over the edge of building down on the people walking on the sidewalk (five stories below). Not this year. Just a couple of pre-teen boys who stayed out of my way as I had a nice long lap swim.

No sign of Hubby or his friends. He promised to be home before dark, but it isn't looking too promising.

We've avoided the mayhem by staying home cleaning the garden following recent storms. Last nights blackout had me reading all sorts of stuff online via tablet/mobile data and I caught up with stickmans latest blog... all about us.

I note ant colonies on the move to higher ground, those I haven't annihilated, so I guess more widespread rain is on it's way.

Happy Songkran to all. smile.png

Is it normal for ants to be on the move this time of year? We are inundated with them in our 8th floor condo unit just like last year. I am also getting bitten all over. We have bought poison and laid out sweet water ant containers hope this stops them

What a delightful few hours! So many people laughing and carrying on, all having a ball throwing water at each other. So much fun for so little money! I took a tuk-tuk to my usual guest house for lunch, but sat curb-side so I could watch the festivities. Thousands of people at Thapae Gate, and the noise would have been deafening had I not already been deaf. Traffic, of course, was at a standstill, making it much easier for people to throw buckets of water at each other. I walked north along the moat, getting wetter and wetter, and all I saw were smiling people. Seemed to me that there were lots more people swimming in the moat this year. Certainly more vendors lining the streets. Lots of folks sitting on tarps beside the moat eating, drinking, and enjoying the festivities. At the corner of the moat I turned west, still walking through crowds of happy people. It's amazing that so many people can have such a good time, with just a squirt gun or a bucket. Of course there were several sitting and staring into their cell phones, but most of those seemed to be foreigners.

Between walking, eating, stopping to watch the dancers at the several bandstands along the moat and in front of Kad Suan Keaw, I spent four hours, four very wet hours, listening to laughing people, interacting with total strangers, and having a pretty nice time for myself. I like Songkran. I wish there wasn't so much ice added to the water. That part wasn't such fun. And I wish there was less drinking going on. But 4pm the drunks were beginning to get rather aggressive. I can only imagine what it must be like by 7pm... But that's all I'll do... imagine it. I won't go out again during the afternoon until Thursday. One day of Songkran merry-making is enough for me. Once a year, one afternoon. With a schedule like that, I can enjoy Songkran!

I do like you one day every year. But evening I go party with the Thais more or less alcohol without problem.
The guys hit me on the shoulder and ask me my age. We toast and launch invitations as new friends.
Girls want to know if I am married.
Everywhere beautiful laughing faces remind of me the simple joys that make life so pleasant.
Hey guys, after whined, the lack of water, heat, smoke, ants and Songkran you're going to take a break for a while. The first to open a thread on the risk of flooding will have won. clap2.gif
Edited by happy Joe
  • Like 1

^ Yes, pool party is a great way for kids to get something of Songkran without having to take them downtown. Older kids tend to love going downtown but for the very young ones it's often a bit too much, not to mention that it's not exactly relaxing for parents as you always have to watch them to make sure they don't jump into traffic, into the moat or get bumped into in crowds.

Anyway there are lots of ways to celebrate Songkran that don't involve doing what I was doing yesterday (I shot some video. smile.png ) and to each his own.

For the people who enjoy the party though, there is this.

Note that there is also the religious aspect, and I'll get some of that this morning.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Come on up to Ratchada near Suttishan MRT station. Like a ghost town....a few little kids with water guns but everyone else gets on the train about 5 or 6 to head down to Sukhumwit and go crazy. Here most businesses and homes are shuttered...these are real 7 day a week working people and they actually can't wait for it to be over because they are losing valuable cash.

I went to Chatuchak park yesterday...also a nice place to hang out without all the craziness. The only blasting I got was coming back from Tesco in Lat Phrao walking past a mechanic shop on Ratchadapisak road near the Phaon Yothin exit #2. A 30 something car mechanic blasted me in chest and back but no big deal.

if the next 2 days go as easily I will be thrilled. I still have not forgiven my gf for abandoning me and heading to some Temple ceremony up north with family...not sure what to do about that....and no I was not invited....likely she has a handsome Thai guy up there somewhere...lol

Edited by tonray

^ Yes, pool party is a great way for kids to get something of Songkran without having to take them downtown. Older kids tend to love going downtown but for the very young ones it's often a bit too much, not to mention that it's not exactly relaxing for parents as you always have to watch them to make sure they don't jump into traffic, into the moat or get bumped into in crowds.

Anyway there are lots of ways to celebrate Songkran that don't involve doing what I was doing yesterday (I shot some video. smile.png ) and to each his own.

For the people who enjoy the party though, there is this.

Note that there is also the religious aspect, and I'll get some of that this morning.

Love the video....HATE the incredibly annoying music......ouch

• Like 1