Advantages to having a Type "O" Marriage Visa?

Am I correct in saying that if you hold a multi non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai), and when that visa has expired, you cannot get a further multi non-O visa from say Laos, you have to apply for an extension?

When your non O visa expire, you can apply for a new non O visa at embassies/consulates outside Thailand.

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

Am I correct in saying that if you hold a multi non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai), and when that visa has expired, you cannot get a further multi non-O visa from say Laos, you have to apply for an extension?

No that's not correct.

As long as you are married you can apply for as many back-to-back non 'O' (married to a Thai) visas as you want.

You never need to apply for an extension if you don't want to.

I don't think you have to apply for an extension. If you want you can leave Thailand and obtain another multi-entry non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai) at a Thai embassy/consulate which offers one. The reason you may want to apply for the extension is that you would then not have to leave Thailand to obtain a new visa. The costs would also be different depending on which path you pursued.