Upgrade Of P.c. Monitor

libya 115

I have a 15 inch LCD Philips 150S4FG and have been very happy with it for 3 years. Back then it cost 350 GBP now it sells for less than half that amount. (Was I ripped off?)

I have been considering upgrading to a 17 inch LCD monitor. The main reason is to make everything easier on my eyes. I currently have the dispaly settings set at 800/600.

I have been browsing the computer stores here and there are a lot of 17 inch monitors on display at 7,000-8,000 Thai baht, Samsung,LG,Acer etc.

I don't play games on the PC, just boring slow stuff, but do a lot of reading off the screen.

Plus, would it be better to pay quite a bit more and go for a larger monitor and are there certain brand names to avoid?

Thanks for any advice.

There are quite a few brands of 19" monitors that are in that price range or up to 10,000 Baht and don't see why limit yourself to 17". I initially had 17" and later added a 19" for dual display capability but largely for the same reason as yourself, eye sight. Very happy that I did get the 19". I have a Samsung 910T 19" digital (DVI/VGA) but it is expensive but incredibily clear (with a DVI video card). I also have a Samsung 940N (analog -VGA) at the office for around 9,000 Baht. It has good contrast and brightness but not as sharp as my digital version.

I would recommend trying to see some 19" monitors in operation set at 1024x768 and see how it feels to you. I run mine at 1280x1024 and it is very clear (text) but some monitors at these settings the text may be a little fuzzy.

Here are a couple of sites with examples of prices.

http://www.7daysit.com/home.php?cat=398

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=114

Edited by tywais

There are quite a few brands of 19" monitors that are in that price range or up to 10,000 Baht and don't see why limit yourself to 17". I initially had 17" and later added a 19" for dual display capability but largely for the same reason as yourself, eye sight. Very happy that I did get the 19". I have a Samsung 910T 19" digital (DVI/VGA) but it is expensive but incredibily clear (with a DVI video card). I also have a Samsung 940N (analog -VGA) at the office for around 9,000 Baht. It has good contrast and brightness but not as sharp as my digital version.

I would recommend trying to see some 19" monitors in operation set at 1024x768 and see how it feels to you. I run mine at 1280x1024 and it is very clear (text) but some monitors at these settings the text may be a little fuzzy.

Here are a couple of sites with examples of prices.

http://www.7daysit.com/home.php?cat=398

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=114

Thanks for that advice tywais; I think I will pay an extra 3000 baht and opt for a 19" monitor.

I remember that this Philips monitor I am using now came with installation CDROM will that conflict with my new monitor when I connect/install it?

Thanks.

The advantage of a new monitor will be the increased definition.

I run my notebook at the full native resolution of 1680 x 1050 but that does mean that windows icons and the desktop text are rather small to be read.

No problem, the size of text and icons can be adjusted on the Control Panel/Display/Appearance screen.

Play around with the settings until you are happy.

Other programmes like word procesors allow you to adjust the zoom setting to get something you are comfortable with.

The great advantage of the high definition screen is being able to open multiple windows and see them all on the screen at the same time.

I remember that this Philips monitor I am using now came with installation CDROM will that conflict with my new monitor when I connect/install it?

Won't be a problem, XP will detect it as a Plug n Play device. Also, nice feature of the newer LCDs is the Auto Adjust mode where it will automatically adjust itself to the resolution you choose and fit the screen edge to edge perfectly.