True 3G internet connected to a desktop PC

billd766

Does anybody have any experience with True 3G connected to a desktop pc through an aircard and a wireless Lan router?

My present internet connection is a ToT WiNet link and it is abysmal.

It has crashed 11 times this year taking from 2 hours to 5 days to be fixed. Last year from the end of May to end of December it crashed 8 times.

The ToT crew is good but after about 3 pm Fridays if anything serious goes wrong I usually wait until Monday for it to be fixed despite reporting it to the ToT call centre.

The ToT tower is about 300 metres away and there is a True 3G site about 400 metres away.

My current ToT package is 10mB download and 1mB upload and costs me 899 + vat per month.

I would like a similar package from True. I have spoken to the True shop in Khampaeng Phet but they unfortunately know very little about how to connect a system up, and had no idea where my nearest cell site was despite me telling them and showing the location on Google Earth.

I figure that I will need an aircard that I can plug into a usb port on a wireless + Lan router as I have 3 fixed pcs plus a couple of tablets.

• Like 1

TOT WiNet is delivering a Wireless Broadband Internet Service on par with their ADSL and Fiber services.

AIS AirNet and CAT offer similar Wireless Broadband Internet Services for clients not reachable by their standard wired delivery service. True may offer a similar WiNet-like service. The upside is the service operates similar to their wired broadband service with "unlimited" (unmetered) Internet.

When those services aren't available, the alternative is to use Mobile Internet. Most of the Packages are expensive and metered (with connection speeds dropping to Fair-Use-Policy 512/384/256/128 kbps once you have exhausted your data cap allotment.

To provide access to multiple devices on Mobile Internet you can either purchase a Portable WiFi (HotSpot) device, or purchase an 3G/LTE "Ready" Router than will accept a USB AirCard. An example of 3G/LTE capable routers can be found in the InvadeIT website (a ThaiVisa Sponsor).

Any idea how much data you consume in a month? That would help with choosing an appropriate Data Internet promotion plan.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TOT WiNet is delivering a Wireless Broadband Internet Service on par with their ADSL and Fiber services.

AIS AirNet and CAT offer similar Wireless Broadband Internet Services for clients not reachable by their standard wired delivery service. True may offer a similar WiNet-like service. The upside is the service operates similar to their wired broadband service with "unlimited" (unmetered) Internet.

When those services aren't available, the alternative is to use Mobile Internet. Most of the Packages are expensive and metered (with connection speeds dropping to Fair-Use-Policy 512/384/256/128 kbps once you have exhausted your data cap allotment.

To provide access to multiple devices on Mobile Internet you can either purchase a Portable WiFi (HotSpot) device, or purchase an 3G/LTE "Ready" Router than will accept a USB AirCard. An example of 3G/LTE capable routers can be found in the InvadeIT website (a ThaiVisa Sponsor).

Any idea how much data you consume in a month? That would help with choosing an appropriate Data Internet promotion plan.

Thank you for your help and information. I have no real idea of how much data I use regularly but the ToT promotion is unlimited use of the internet subject to 10mB downloading and 1 mB upload.

I managed to get through to True this afternoon and spent a pleasant 15 minutes on the phone and on the internet only to find out at the end that True can't do anything for me even though the site is only 350 metres from my house.

I then rang AIS who are my mobile provider and she told me that it is possible to use their system and we do have 3G in the moo ban. An alternative site is behind my wifes shop 2 km away. The lady at AIS sent me an SMS with the webpage I needed plus she suggested the best package for me which is about 800 baht + vat. The only drawback is to get it up I have to go to Khampaeng Phet 65 km away (probably with my wife to sign up for it) as that is the nearest Telewiz shop.

I have the TOT wi-net, as a back up I just connect through my phone (hotspot).True H. but thats only if I really need to do something, but in fairness the TOT guys here are very quick.

I have attached an excel file that I made of ToT downtimes starting at the end of May 2014. The Tot field guys are pretty good buy IMHO the actual site is crap. It is always getting hit by lightning, there is no battery back up and when it goes down and the power comes back up again most of the time it doesn't reset itself. There doesn't seem to be any alarm system going back to ToT at KPP or ToT central and when I phone the call centre the staff are very nice but all they do is file a report and move on to the next unhappy customer.

There are at least 6 people that I know on this link so it is not just me who is affected but I am the one who bitches the most.

If it is going to crash it uses POETS time on a Friday afternoon as a reference point.

TOT internet downtime log.xls

;b++){var>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thank you for your help and information. I have no real idea of how much data I use regularly but the ToT promotion is unlimited use of the internet subject to 10mB downloading and 1 mB upload.

I managed to get through to True this afternoon and spent a pleasant 15 minutes on the phone and on the internet only to find out at the end that True can't do anything for me even though the site is only 350 metres from my house.

I then rang AIS who are my mobile provider and she told me that it is possible to use their system and we do have 3G in the moo ban. An alternative site is behind my wifes shop 2 km away. The lady at AIS sent me an SMS with the webpage I needed plus she suggested the best package for me which is about 800 baht + vat. The only drawback is to get it up I have to go to Khampaeng Phet 65 km away (probably with my wife to sign up for it) as that is the nearest Telewiz shop.

Note, there is a difference between 3G Mobile Data and the Wireless Broadband Data as offered via TOT WiNet, AIS AirNet, or CAT that use Point-to-MultiPoint 5GHz WiFi-like radios to deliver service from the same Towers as their 3G/LTE Mobile service and share the data backbone backhaul.

The equipment that, as you know, can service 6 customers per MultiPoint Tower Node, has to already exist or plan to be installed on their tower and pointing toward you before they can offer that service. Just be clear what service is being discussed.

If they don't offer the Point-to-Point Wireless Internet service in your area then they'll try to get you to opt for one of their 3G/LTE packages that usually only are provided with set limit amount of Data per month. The highest Ive seen is 12GB @ 42mbps, then speed drops to 512kbps or 384kbps via their Fair Use Policy for the remainder of the promotional period. but post-paid plans may offer better deals.

Also note, when describing speed, typing " 10mB " doesn't make any sense. It's usually stated as 10Mb or 10mbps (mega bits per second) to keep it from being confused with the Byte size of an amount of data (ie: 10 mb file, or more properly, 10 MB file). AIS offers some 3G packages at 220MB at 42mb download, creating some confusion of what they're actually offering (220 megabytes of data at 42 mega bits per second speed , with FUP of 64 kilo bits per second speed when exhausted). bits/Bytes OK, I see I lost you at Point-to-MultiPoint.

The TrueMove H AirCard is easy to install, has built in drivers and interface software. Costs about 800 Baht + 45 Baht for a sim card.

I currently use there 599 Baht package which gives me 2GB data at high speed and when used reverts to a clipped 384 kbs for the rest of the month. That speed is fine for what I do and with limited options out here in the rice paddies suits my needs. Very stable and reliable.

My only complaint is the annoying SMS promotion ads popping up all the time.

Edited by bdenner

And thats why I have the guys direct mobile, and dont use the call centre.

I have my guys number as well BUT he does not work 24/7 so who do you report the problem to out of hours or at weekends?

BTW the system went down overnight, again. It was working fine ay 10pm last night when I went to bed but was dead at 6am. I called it in at 06.30 and IF you can get ToT central to log the fault there will be a record outside of the local guys and any good fault control manager will pick the problem up as the local guys should.

The nice lady this morning told me I had already reported the fault so I gently poited out that this was the 4 th fault I have reported in 6 days. The response was "sorry. I will fill in another report for you".

I called the local guy at 08.15 and the link was reset by 10.45. Resetting the link does NOT cure the fault. Fixing the fault does.

Note, there is a difference between 3G Mobile Data and the Wireless Broadband Data as offered via TOT WiNet, AIS AirNet, or CAT that use Point-to-MultiPoint 5GHz WiFi-like radios to deliver service from the same Towers as their 3G/LTE Mobile service and share the data backbone backhaul.

The equipment that, as you know, can service 6 customers per MultiPoint Tower Node, has to already exist or plan to be installed on their tower and pointing toward you before they can offer that service. Just be clear what service is being discussed.

If they don't offer the Point-to-Point Wireless Internet service in your area then they'll try to get you to opt for one of their 3G/LTE packages that usually only are provided with set limit amount of Data per month. The highest Ive seen is 12GB @ 42mbps, then speed drops to 512kbps or 384kbps via their Fair Use Policy for the remainder of the promotional period. but post-paid plans may offer better deals.

Also note, when describing speed, typing " 10mB " doesn't make any sense. It's usually stated as 10Mb or 10mbps (mega bits per second) to keep it from being confused with the Byte size of an amount of data (ie: 10 mb file, or more properly, 10 MB file). AIS offers some 3G packages at 220MB at 42mb download, creating some confusion of what they're actually offering (220 megabytes of data at 42 mega bits per second speed , with FUP of 64 kilo bits per second speed when exhausted). bits/Bytes OK, I see I lost you at Point-to-MultiPoint.

Out here in rural Thailand before ToT came along I was limited to EDGE on DTAC. I have had the ToT service for 3 years and it is only in the last year I have had any real problems.

AFAIK my ToT package is unlimited internet connectivity 24/7/365 subject to 10mbps download speed and 1 mbps up load speed. Most of the time when the system is up and running that is what I get.

My bitch is not the service that I get when the system is running but the amount of times that the system is down and offline and the time it takes to get it back up on line.

This month April 2015, my internet connection has gone down 5 times since Wednesday night 24th April. The lonbest time was 42 hours and the shortest time was 3 hours.

It has gone down 13 times this year alone and 8 times last year since I started logging the failures from the end of May last year in 7 months.

The amount of internet or speeds I get are immaterial and have nothing to do with the problem of outages.

When I used to work for and with Motorola installing, commissioning and integrating mobile phone systems across the world if I left a site in the state that this one is in I would be out there 24/7 until it was fixed and if I couldn't fix it and another team did I would be deep in the crap and deservedly so. BUT, TIT and ToT is a state organisation who get paid whether the system works or not.

• Like 1

[...]

My bitch is not the service that I get when the system is running but the amount of times that the system is down and offline and the time it takes to get it back up on line.

This month April 2015, my internet connection has gone down 5 times since Wednesday night 24th April. The lonbest time was 42 hours and the shortest time was 3 hours.

It has gone down 13 times this year alone and 8 times last year since I started logging the failures from the end of May last year in 7 months.

The amount of internet or speeds I get are immaterial and have nothing to do with the problem of outages.

When I used to work for and with Motorola installing, commissioning and integrating mobile phone systems across the world if I left a site in the state that this one is in I would be out there 24/7 until it was fixed and if I couldn't fix it and another team did I would be deep in the crap and deservedly so. BUT, TIT and ToT is a state organisation who get paid whether the system works or not.

I'm wondering if there is an alternative complaint chain you could pursue to get the issue resolved.

Some ThaiVisa members who have had TOT WiNet service issues have written about them being resolved (maybe not a quickly as a 'wired' customer, but they were resolved and service restored). Other ThaiVisa members have written about ongoing and unresolved TOT WiNet service issues, and one might believe they ordered the service from a fake Chinese Clone company the way they were consistently being mistreated. I guess it really depends what service area you are a customer in.

Having worked on the software and data service side with telecom units in the US and Japan, I do understand your frustration.

I only wish I understood the Big 4 Telecoms here in Thailand more or knew who to contact that would get things like this resolved.

They deploy these system, and if they work, great. But if there are issues, there doesn't seem to be any resolution besides "deploy, provision, bill, works great". The service people don't appear to have any major-issue resolution process.

Did AIS say they had AIS AirNET service in your area, or just the standard 3G Mobile metered Service?

[...]

I'm wondering if there is an alternative complaint chain you could pursue to get the issue resolved.

Some ThaiVisa members who have had TOT WiNet service issues have written about them being resolved (maybe not a quickly as a 'wired' customer, but they were resolved and service restored). Other ThaiVisa members have written about ongoing and unresolved TOT WiNet service issues, and one might believe they ordered the service from a fake Chinese Clone company the way they were consistently being mistreated. I guess it really depends what service area you are a customer in.

Having worked on the software and data service side with telecom units in the US and Japan, I do understand your frustration.

I only wish I understood the Big 4 Telecoms here in Thailand more or knew who to contact that would get things like this resolved.

They deploy these system, and if they work, great. But if there are issues, there doesn't seem to be any resolution besides "deploy, provision, bill, works great". The service people don't appear to have any major-issue resolution process.

Did AIS say they had AIS AirNET service in your area, or just the standard 3G Mobile metered Service?

AIS said no AirNET this year, maybe in 2017. What is really frustrating is that there is an AIS fibre opyic cable connecting their cell sites just outside the front gate about 30 metres from the house.

ToT don't seem to have any way of complaining about their service other than contacting the local office or using the call centre. The local guys probably wouldn't want the complaint to go further up the chain as they will lose face and the call centre staff don't seem to be able to work outside the check boxes.