chiang mai smokehouse san sai

dave2

a friend from cmu sent me a message this morning and on her f b page

i found a link to this place

has anyone tried it , been there , know anything about it ,

the place , the owners or have a price list of their products ?

coz that beef / meat at the bottom looks yummy

the thought of slowly warming up a bag of that in the microwave and putting it with a portion of mashed potato from the garden could easily float my boat :)

dave2

post-42592-0-02954700-1430194929_thumb.p

post-42592-0-08203000-1430194982_thumb.p

post-42592-0-49266300-1430195050_thumb.p

One of the best things of Chiang Mai ThaiVisa, you learn something new everyday,

never heard of this place before,but according to the maps should not be very far

at all,how do you go about finding out prices etc,only FB page,no website?

Always interested in smoked bacon,sausages

regards worgeordie

it's been around for quite a while now. we went by there some time ago and unless things have changed, you have to buy a fairly large quantity; no small orders. at the time the prices reflected large orders - and were not inexpensive. maybe things have changed. i would give it another try if so.

Just back from the Chiang Mai Smoke House with a bevy of booty.... I picked up 1/2 kilo of smoked ham, corned beef, Canadian bacon, salmon and brisket... I was able to sample everything prior to purchasing... They have portions as small as 1/2 kilo on everything, or you can call ahead and place an order for exactly what you want... In talking to the owner, it's best to call ahead to make sure someone is there that speaks either English or Thai... I got lucky as I just hopped in the car and went...

Be forewarned, the address provided in the OP's map is not correct... The place is actually in a residential soi near the 2nd Ring Rd off of 118... The correct GPS coordinated are: 18.810714, 99.033468

Just back from the Chiang Mai Smoke House with a bevy of booty.... I picked up 1/2 kilo of smoked ham, corned beef, Canadian bacon, salmon and brisket... I was able to sample everything prior to purchasing... They have portions as small as 1/2 kilo on everything, or you can call ahead and place an order for exactly what you want... In talking to the owner, it's best to call ahead to make sure someone is there that speaks either English or Thai... I got lucky as I just hopped in the car and went...

Be forewarned, the address provided in the OP's map is not correct... The place is actually in a residential soi near the 2nd Ring Rd off of 118... The correct GPS coordinated are: 18.810714, 99.033468

Can you please give some idea about prices? thanks and do they have stock of most items and is it all frozen?

regards Worgeordie

Interesting--mango wood can be dangerous for smoking with--please explain??

I'm not saying that this place does/would use any wood that was not suitable--just interested in the previous post--dangerous, in what way, please?

mango sap is a poison and is not suitable for smoking meats with. Pine is another wood that is quite harmful if used for smoking.

Longan, jack fruit, lynchee all smoke wonderfully. coconut shells, corn cobs are acceptable but have a very distinct flavor and probably would be good for pastrami or traditional bacon.

What concerns me is their extensive menu. Hard to perfect that many different recipes. Most good smoke houses only have a few products that they specialize in.

(DELETED) If the owner was trained as a butcher and is licensed in his home country, then I would trust it.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

mango sap is a poison and is not suitable for smoking meats with. Pine is another wood that is quite harmful if used for smoking.

Longan, jack fruit, lynchee all smoke wonderfully. coconut shells, corn cobs are acceptable but have a very distinct flavor and probably would be good for pastrami or traditional bacon.

What concerns me is their extensive menu. Hard to perfect that many different recipes. Most good smoke houses only have a few products that they specialize in.

. If the owner was trained as a butcher and is licensed in his home country, then I would trust it.

You are given the option of tasting any of his products,before you

buy, so he must have confidence in what he manufacturers,and

I don't know where the fact that he uses Mango wood comes from,

just a negative poster maybe,there are quite a few on here that don't

seem to like that someone is maybe doing better than them selves,

or at the very least trying to.

regards Worgeordie

No....not at all about being negative. I went to the FB page and looked at all the photos and there are a couple with trees being cutt down to be used....and they looked like mango trees. The rest of the photos were fine and I would go there if I was up there.

No....not at all about being negative. I went to the FB page and looked at all the photos and there are a couple with trees being cutt down to be used....and they looked like mango trees. The rest of the photos were fine and I would go there if I was up there.

So, you don't really know if they were mango trees? You shouldn't post unless you are 100% sure. Saying the wood they use to smoke the meats can be dangerous is not really fair to this small business if you don't know for sure.

I spoke with the owner about what wood they use for smoking and yes, they do use Mango, but they are well aware of the dangers... Once the wood is cut, they strip the bark off the wood and let the sap dry out before using it for smoking...

Unless you place an order for pickup, everything they have (that I saw) was sealed in vacuum bags and frozen... I don't think it's a problem picking up freshly cooked meats if you arrange ahead of time... They had a pretty good supply of everything, although frozen...

I can't speak to specific pricing on each item, but my total price was 2100 baht for .5 kilo of smoked brisket, corned beef, salmon, canadian bacon and ham... So, 2.5 kilos of smoked meat for 2100 baht... Not sure how to compare the pricing to elsewhere, as this is the first shop of this nature I have found and I don't mind paying a premium... The smoke brisket is the first package I've opened and it is wonderful...

Edited by Loptr

This place is just great.. Everything I have sampled (and Mike hands out samples very freely) has been superb.. The pastrami just amazing. The salmon too.

I had a hankering for kippers.. Love them for breakfast.. Mike went and did some experiments with Makrel (herring being near impossible) and hot damn if they didnt turn out superb. Every Scottish / English bar that does breakfasts should have scrambled eggs and (faux) kippers !!

Even the simple stuff, his pickles etc are great. Pricing isnt cheap, but talk to him and listen to how much wastage and time he puts in to get the final product out. Premium beef pastrami isnt going to come out at CP good pricing !!

Edited by LivinLOS

. If the owner was trained as a butcher and is licensed in his home country, then I would trust it.

(DELETED) I he went to a huge amount of effort to get his smokehouse certified. I've tried a lot of his stuff and it's top quality. (DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

• 2 months later...