Two Israelis Arrested With 23,000 Ecstasy Pills

Mid

This thread was started in 2007 by sriracha john

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/157479-two-israelis-arrested-with-23000-ecstasy-pills/

it has been archived and replies to the original thread are no longer possible .

the following news is from to-day .

Thai court frees Israeli on death row for drug dealing
Amir Ben-David, Itamar Eichner

Supreme Court in Bangkok acquits Vladimir Agronik after eight years in prison, accepting that he had no connection to another Israeli on death row for same offence.

A 39-year-old Israeli who has spent eight years on death row in Thailand for selling drugs, was this weekend set free by a Thai court and is now heading back to Israel.

The Supreme Court in Thailand acquitted Vladimir Agronik, after accepting his claim that he had no connection to the drugs found in the apartment of another Israeli, Alon Yigal Mahluf. But the court rejected the appeal by Mahluf, who has also been sentenced to death.

Mahluf now has 60 days to seek clemency from the Thai king.

The two Israelis were arrested in December 2007 after 23,000 ecstasy pills found in Mahluf's home. They were both found guilty and sentenced to death. They petitioned the Supreme Court after their appeal to a district court was rejected.

60314810991388640360no.jpg
Vladmir Agronik with Rabbi Nechemia Wilhelm in Thailand

Continued here:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4654002,00.html

seems the hang 'em high mob in the original thread have some humble pie to digest .

Edited by Rooo
Fair use & correct link

Given all the bad press the Junta has received worldwide, it's not exactly a great time for Thailand to follow in Indonesia's footsteps and execute a foreigner.

For Mahluf, then, the Israeli who still faces execution, I wonder if his chance for clemency hasn't improved?

So this guy was wrongfully convicted and spent 8 year in jail, i wonder if Thai system have compensation scheme or can be sued.

8 years is not exactly a joy ride, 8 years of someone's life totally wasted.

Thanks for the update Mid.

The wheels of justice move very slowly in Thailand.

Why could they have not reached this decision years ago? What new evidence has been submitted to account for this volte face ?

I've been to long prem as a visitor and can only think that to be banged up anywhere if you are innocent must be real mental torture.

Thanks for the update Mid.

The wheels of justice move very slowly in Thailand.

Why could they have not reached this decision years ago? What new evidence has been submitted to account for this volte face ?

I've been to long prem as a visitor and can only think that to be banged up anywhere if you are innocent must be real mental torture.

In this case much worse, as he was on a death row

Not much chance of recompense for being gaoled either, poor bloke. Though who will ever know what he knew about the drugs, if indeed he was aware of them.

As for the other bloke on death row, hopefully he will get a reprieve at some point in the future and serve out a sentence.

Wow, if he is really innocent, how horrible to have served such a long term. Horrible enough if you're guilty, I suppose. I wonder if he'll want to travel to Thailand again after that ...

Travelling to Thailand with 24,000 ecstacy pills, enough to make a whole stadium go wild.

Not very smart is it?

But I agree, 8 years in a Thai prison for peddling ecstacy, thats a harsh punishment indeed.

The problem is. in legal terms, acquitted does not exactly mean, not guilty. It covers a multitude of reasons for being released from jail, such as; not enough evidence, lack of proof beyond a reasonable doubt and so on.

This means that the stigma of whether people believe he is guilty or not will always remain with him, plus not officially being given a not guilty verdict lets the Thai authorities off the hook for paying compensation. This guy has had a raw deal in my opinion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So this guy was wrongfully convicted and spent 8 year in jail, i wonder if Thai system have compensation scheme or can be sued.

8 years is not exactly a joy ride, 8 years of someone's life totally wasted.

I believe the compensation is 200 Baht a day!!

8 years is a normal sentence for a drug offense of this type in the USA

Death, is not.

The other guy should be set free as well and both banned from Thailand

What should be targeted and banned is the Russian/Israeli mafia that dominates the trade.

Probably just got the right people paid off.

That's a pretty serious accusation.

Only if you can't understand basic English. There's no accusation there.

Thanks for that. Of course, I don't understand English.crazy.gif

Next ...

Probably just got the right people paid off.

That's a pretty serious accusation.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's a common and accepted accusation, especially if the accused is a rich Thai.

Israelis are above drug dealing and bribery, is that it?