True mystery

JohnnyJazz

Everyday, around 8:00- 8:30 until 9:00 then again between (roughly) 11:30 and 12:00 I can't access the web, by that I mean I can't access any site using my web browser Firefox. The only thing I get is server not found. But sometime, not always, I can still download my emails and download torrents until I have zero access to anything. Usually after 9:00 and 12:00 it goes back to normal, which means painfully slow but still working.

Before you blame my computer settings, I use a MacBook and I recently used it in Hong Kong without problem so I believe it's a local problem. Furthermore I'v a couple of computers linked to the same router, the problem is the same for all of them.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

What's the Make/Model of the Router your using? Cable Broadband, ADSL or Fiber? (Some of them have 'filters' that can be set to turn on/off services based on time of day).

If not the home Router, then possible the ISP is doing it. Hard Resetting / re-configuring the home Router would be the first step. Next step would be getting it swapped out.

8:38 : Internet down. Unfortunately as usual

8:58 : Slowing coming back to normal, can access TV and post report.

9:05 : Post eventually goes through

Sorry RichCor, I don't have much time at the moment to look into the matter. Stantard TRUE package, CISCO EPC 2325. Only think I noticed that may point to a router problem is that after I lose internet access for the whole network, when it comes back WiFi is very slow and switching to cable definitively improves transfert speed on my MacBook

Am in the Sukhumvit area (between Phrom Phong and Thonglor)... same issues.

Called True... the folks there can even tell me "they noticed a large number of drops in signals" but...

But what about follow up actions? I heard the crickets go "creakkk creekkk creekkk..."

Sad... SO SAD...

Everyday, around 8:00- 8:30 until 9:00 then again between (roughly) 11:30 and 12:00 I can't access the web,

Are you in the city? This sound to me like the mad rush office workers perform to check their email/Facebook etc before work hours commence, and during their lunch break. Your problem is with the shared infrastructure, not your equipment.

It may sound weird, but contention and traffic *does* increase during those times. I may have some traffic graphs to illustrate this - web browsing throughput doubles during lunch hour! (This was however for the city of Tokyo, but still a good example....it saturates a 1GB uplink briefly )

EDIT: Just dawned on me, it may not be the infrastructure, but web content filtering being oversubscribed. this will also slow down your web experiance.

Edited by phazey

Something definitely wrong with True today with good router data speed and signal but all web sites slow or not loading, I'd be contacting support if same rubbish next week. Back at home TOT is just fine.

If you're saying that sites take a long time to begin to load but load OK once they start, that could be an overloaded DNS server or web filter server. I would try a different, public DNS server if you can log into your router.

If you're saying that your router speed reads good but the whole internet is slow, there's probably too much traffic on the subnet your ISP has you on. In this case it would be odd for your router "speed" to be good but rather the connection signal is probably strong but the speed slow.

Something definitely wrong with True today with good router data speed and signal but all web sites slow or not loading, I'd be contacting support if same rubbish next week. Back at home TOT is just fine.

If you're saying that sites take a long time to begin to load but load OK once they start, that could be an overloaded DNS server or web filter server. I would try a different, public DNS server if you can log into your router.

If you're saying that your router speed reads good but the whole internet is slow, there's probably too much traffic on the subnet your ISP has you on. In this case it would be odd for your router "speed" to be good but rather the connection signal is probably strong but the speed slow.

I was saying my router shows as below:

post-21581-0-14802700-1431740293_thumb.j

- normal for good connection, but all web sites taking too long to load. I was in Thonglor area as well. This weekend not there so will try again Monday.

You said: "when it comes back WiFi is very slow and switching to cable definitively improves transfer speed on my MacBook."

Right there.

Are you saying you are OK wired but not wireless? If so you have some kind of interference with your wireless signal. What kind of lights, appliance or other electronics might that router be close to? Fluorescent lights? What might be between your router and your computer?

Wireless, are you direct to the router or do you have an additional access point or repeater?

Can you try moving your computer right next to the router, or is it already there? That alone can be a problem as the computer puts out electromagnetic signals that can interfere with a router. Or, if something is interfering moving closer might help.

Let's run this down. Some types of lights, bad wiring, motors, microwaves, anything electrical that's not grounded... Let's figure it out.

If the above is true try turning things off around the house one at a time.

Edited by NeverSure