Retirement visa

Many years ago in my misspent youth while on a stag weekend in the uk I was arrested for being drunk and disordley.

Will this come back and haunt me will this stop me being able to obtain a retirement visa.

Interested if anyone else here has been in a similar situation.

As said there is no "retirement visa" .

A long stay O/A visa is available but many find obtaining it is an expensive and bureaucratic process.

You may , if in receipt of the State OAP be eligible for a 12 month multi -entry "O" visa .

A single entry "O" visa can easily be used to obtain an "extension of stay " based on retirement providing financial requirement can be met.

H

A long stay O/A visa is available but many find obtaining it is an expensive and bureaucratic process.

You may , if in receipt of the State OAP be eligible for a 12 month multi -entry "O" visa .

A single entry "O" visa can easily be used to obtain an "extension of stay " based on retirement providing financial requirement can be met.

Many of us obtain a non imm o-a every year without a great deal of problems. I like it in that we stay in Thailand for six months each year and with that visa I am beholden to immigration for nothing other than a couple of 90 day reports.

As a U.S. citizen I obtain mine via mail from the Thai Consulate in LA so, of course, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

H

Many of us obtain a non imm o-a every year without a great deal of problems. I like it in that we stay in Thailand for six months each year and with that visa I am beholden to immigration for nothing other than a couple of 90 day reports.

As a U.S. citizen I obtain mine via mail from the Thai Consulate in LA so, of course, your mileage may vary.

If you are happy with your expensive O/A visa then OK..

Why are you obtaining new O/A visa every year ?

Most informed people know that if used correctly an O/A visa is good for a whole two years ! smile.png

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

H

Most informed people know that if used correctly an O/A visa is good for a whole two years ! smile.png

I do understand the ability to get two years out of a non imm o-a visa. However, our travel dates prevent this and I am not willing to let a visa enter-by-date drive our travel plans.

If I obtain o visa will I be able to stay in Thailand for 12 months .

Or will I have to leave the country every 90 days.

A single-entry non-O visa will allow you to enter Thailand one time and you will receive permission to stay for 90 days.

A multiple-entry non-O visa will allow you to enter Thailand an unlimited number of times during the validity period of the visa and on each entry you will receive permission to stay for 90 days, ie you will have to leave the country at the latest every 90 days.

If I obtain o visa will I be able to stay in Thailand for 12 months .

Or will I have to leave the country every 90 days.

You don't give much information about your situation, but it is possible with a Non-O visa to obtain an extension of stay at an immigration office (for B1,900) which would allow you to stay in Thailand (without leaving) for 1 year. Of course, you would need to meet the retirement requirements: 50 years old or more, have B800,000 deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months. You would also be obligated to file a 90 day report at immigration (although can now be done online or by mail in most cases) if you stay in the country for 90 days.

I see Maestro has given you advice on another path to staying in Thailand for a year and that is by obtaining a multi-entry Non-O visa. On that path you would need to leave the country every 90 days (after which you could re-enter for another stay of 90 days). On that path you would not be obligated to file 90 day reports for the simple fact that you would never be in the country for 90 days (without leaving).

H

I do understand the ability to get two years out of a non imm o-a visa. However, our travel dates prevent this and I am not willing to let a visa enter-by-date drive our travel plans.

Obviously depends on your travel schedule and personal preferences, but if you entered in January 2015 on an O-A and planned to stay through June, as an example, a simple border hop before you head back to the US would give you a new year's permission to stay from that date ... through say June 2016. Armed with that and a re-entry permit you could return to Thailand in January 2016 and be good to go through June 2016 without a new O-A (actual dates dependent on when you got the visa and did the border hop etc.).

Depends on which seems to involve the least hassle for you. When I first came here to retire I got the O-A too and have carried on with extensions of stay. Didn't seem that difficult to me, but for some it may seem an onerous task.

• Like 1

Obviously depends on your travel schedule and personal preferences, but if you entered in January 2015 on an O-A and planned to stay through June, as an example, a simple border hop before you head back to the US would give you a new year's permission to stay from that date ... through say June 2016. Armed with that and a re-entry permit you could return to Thailand in January 2016 and be good to go through June 2016 without a new O-A (actual dates dependent on when you got the visa and did the border hop etc.).

Depends on which seems to involve the least hassle for you. When I first came here to retire I got the O-A too and have carried on with extensions of stay. Didn't seem that difficult to me, but for some it may seem an onerous task.

I appreciate your thoughts very much. But for me, to make a last minute border hop, then procure a re-entry permit, which, depending on the date, could limit our stay the following year, seems much more complex, and possibly more expensive, than what I see as a fairly straightforward non imm o-a visa process in the U.S.

But really, I did not mean to hijack this thread. My only point was to respond to one of the posters who seemed to imply that most felt the non imm o-a visa was difficult, complex and expensive to obtain - something that I have not experienced.

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped excess quotes only 4 can be done

I intend to apply in the uk.

I need to apply for a crimminal record check certificate to present to the embassy.

If your misdemeanor was a long time ago i would not expect it to be on record now so dont worry.there is no such thing as a retirement visa,its just an extention to a 1 year non "o" immigrant visa that you can apply for after the 1 year is up.I think you have to be 65 or over to get this extention(i could be wrong about the age)

1.Where were you intending to apply for this "retirement" visa

2. Why would you believe some old misdemeanor charge would now have negative consequences ?

The OP seems to asking a question(s).

The answers to questions 1. and 2. seem to be contained in his post.

The "Why" and "Where" are none of my business.

When I got my OA visa and needed a criminal report I went to the city. I had not lived in the city, just worked in it. They gave me a clear report in that there was noting I had done there. So, if you are concerned, just go to a town you hadn't lived and get a report. The embassy just wants a report.

I intend to apply in the uk.

I need to apply for a crimminal record check certificate to present to the embassy.

If your misdemeanor was a long time ago i would not expect it to be on record now so dont worry.there is no such thing as a retirement visa,its just an extention to a 1 year non "o" immigrant visa that you can apply for after the 1 year is up.I think you have to be 65 or over to get this extention(i could be wrong about the age)

Criminal records for misdemeanours such as the OP reported are wiped from the system after 10 years, so even if he was convicted (which he didn't actually state) then he won't have any criminal record.

I disagree with your comment "it's just an extension to a one year non o immigrant visa"

A Visa expires, it is stamped USED. A Non O Imm Visa gives you 'permission to stay' in Thailand for 90 days.

At the end of that Visa you apply for 'an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand' not an extension of the Visa.

OP, if you are over 50 you can get a single entry Non Imm O Visa from the Consulate in Liverpool.

No criminal record or health certificates required.

Within the last 30 days of that Visa, you apply at an Immigration Office in Thailand for an 'extension of stay based on retirement'.

You must have 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to that application OR a letter of Income from the British Embassy showing proof of 800,000 baht income OR you can use a combination of the two different methods. i.e. 400,000 income from a pension or suchlike, and 400,000 deposited in a Thai Bank.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

When I got my OA visa and needed a criminal report I went to the city. I had not lived in the city, just worked in it. They gave me a clear report in that there was noting I had done there. So, if you are concerned, just go to a town you hadn't lived and get a report. The embassy just wants a report.

Your obviously not from the UK.

Not being familiar with British law, after you were arrested were you charged with drunk and disorderly did you pay a fine or did you serve time? How long ago did this occur and was it classified as a criminal offence? Now I know this is not in the same jurisdiction but many Australians laws were adopted from the English system but have obviously changed over the years.

Back home, if you have been convicted of a minor criminal offence and have kept your slate clean for 10 years, then you can apply to have the matter expunged from your record. As I said, only you know the classification but at least you might check and see if such a situation exist in the UK. I see some have outlined other avenues but if you feel more comfortable knowing that you can have nothing on record, that is if it is, then check it, will cost nothing except your time.

Edited by Si Thea01

Not from Oz either.

Just had some questions concerning the income requirements for the retirement visa (as they refer to it).

I will be planning to visit Thailand on a tourist visa (obtained in Washington, D.C. Thai embassy) and then eventually converting to a 90 day "O" visa which from my understanding will give me 90 days to stay.

During the last 30-45 days then apply for an extension of the "O" visa based on retirement (I meet all requirements - age/income, etc.)

So my questions are:

If I use the option of showing monthly pension income of 65,000 baht do I have to also deposit any money into a Thai bank account?

I realize that I should open a Thai bank account as soon as possible once I get to Thailand.

Thanks to all for any replies.

I would bet Thailand is interested only in felonies including sex crimes. Disorderly conduct etc would take away a great number of their tourists.

Just had some questions concerning the income requirements for the retirement visa (as they refer to it).

I will be planning to visit Thailand on a tourist visa (obtained in Washington, D.C. Thai embassy) and then eventually converting to a 90 day "O" visa which from my understanding will give me 90 days to stay.

During the last 30-45 days then apply for an extension of the "O" visa based on retirement (I meet all requirements - age/income, etc.)

So my questions are:

If I use the option of showing monthly pension income of 65,000 baht do I have to also deposit any money into a Thai bank account?

I realize that I should open a Thai bank account as soon as possible once I get to Thailand.

If you use the income option you do not need to have money in a Thai bank, you just get a lettter from USA embassy (cost $50 ) that states your receiving at least 65,000 baht in income per month. Can be from rentals, social security, pension, stocks,interest, whatever. Age requirement is 50 years old for 1 year extension of stay for reason of retirement.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

So my questions are:

If you use the income option you do not need to have money in a Thai bank, you just get a lettter from USA embassy (cost $50 ) that states your receiving at least 65,000 baht in income per month. Can be from rentals, social security, pension, stocks,interest, whatever. Age requirement is 50 years old for 1 year extension of stay for reason of retirement.

Not 100% correct. There are immigration offices that will require you to show what your living on inside Thailand. The letters is acceptable but they still want to see some extra proof. Kap Choeng Immigration being one of those. My advise is yes open a Thai bank account where you have can keep some funds and be able to show movement.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

So my questions are:

Not 100% correct. There are immigration offices that will require you to show what your living on inside Thailand. The letters is acceptable but they still want to see some extra proof. Kap Choeng Immigration being one of those. My advise is yes open a Thai bank account where you have can keep some funds and be able to show movement.

That's true,but when i showed the 2nd bank acc.they didn't want to see it.Different rules in the same office.Stil,no probs in Kap Choeng.

So my questions are:

That's true,but when i showed the 2nd bank acc.they didn't want to see it.Different rules in the same office.Stil,no probs in Kap Choeng.

If they don't won't to see it good but better to be prepared than not as I know for a fact that KCI will and does ask for other inside Thailand source. BTW did my 4th marriage extension at KCI this past Thursday. Used the money in bank, had the letter from Bangkok Bank showing the funds the lady in the outer office that does all the reviewing pointed out that there had been no movement for two months and I would need another letter from the bank saying so. NO problem as the Bangkok Bank in Kap Choeng is directly across from KCI and that is where we bank. Wife ran over got the letter no charge. the bank was aware of this request. One more thing while she was out she had a second set of papers copied across from KCI, WHY? Because KCI has put their copier in the back room and will make NO more copies for cheep charlie farang. The staff of KCI was spot on Thursday and very professional. At the end the wife handed the IO 2000 baht and he gave her back a receipt and 100 baht. NO tip box.

Edited by khwaibah

So why does my visa state "RETIREMENT"?

The term is simply more acceptable than picking a letter to identify a meaning.

Their is simply no need for your first comment, it doesn't help.