Anybody here actually been bitten by a snake?

Gecko123

If so, what kind of snake bit you?

Did it hurt bad?

Did you have to be hospitalized overnight?

Any lessons to be learned?

Did you scream or faint?

Did your wife or the neighbors laugh and call you stupid when they found out you got bit?

Did it scar you for life?

If you've never been bitten, do you ever wish you would be bitten as kind of a rite of passage?

I was bitten many times in the past by the same bad snake.

At the beginning I didn't notice the bite but eventually it became very painful.

I didn't go to the doctors but instead I found a good solicitor and got rid of the bad snake.

It did scared me for life that's why I'm not going to get married again.

Hospital for a snake bite? Jeez see that's the problem with men today. When I was young if you got bitten by a snake you drank a lucozade and got on with things.

Hospital for a snake bite? Jeez see that's the problem with men today. When I was young if you got bitten by a snake you drank a lucozade and got on with things.

Hang on....you are still young...Old is when you are Transams age.

Me not personally but I helped a guy who was bitten by a Black Desert Cobra.

He had been bitten about 20 minutes before I was informed. The fool had been playing with it in the mistaken belief as it was so small (less than 1 meter) it was a large worm and was bitten on the finger. The snake left a fang in his finger..

Rather than seek help straight away he went and sat down holding his finger at head height. He delayed telling anyone as he was worried about getting trouble and losing his job as it happened during work time. blink.png

By the time I saw him he was feeling dozy, nauseous and his eyes were a bright red around the eyelashes. He wasn't in pain but shock was setting in.

He was taken to a medical centre then transferred by ambulance to a hospital. By that stage he was vomiting badly and his lips had turned cherry red.

He spent a week in hospital initially in ICU receiving I think 4 antivenom injections. It took months for the bite infection to heal if you can say a wasted useless finger is healed.

I can't be bothered with Bear Grylls, but I idly picked up his book in the bookshop to look at the pictures and he had a photo of what a lancehead viper/Fer-de-lance did to his pals foot. Half the flesh missing and all the bones showing through, clean and white. 50,000 (it seems) are killed in India every year, and probably twenty times that bitten. You an get kidney failure as well. It's more than pain you need to worry about.

Lucozade, christ you were spoilt!!

Had a few nasty encounters but always stayed still or jumped away during my time in Africa...here I had two venomous snakes in my garden. A pit viper and a king cobra but my dogs spotted them and we could call the local snake catcher to remove the viper the king disappeared by its self and non venomous snakes getting killed by my dogs...

Rule number one don't play or try to catch it if you are not a professional...

when I was young they had to protect the snakes so we don't bite them....

Had a few nasty encounters but always stayed still or jumped away during my time in Africa...here I had two venomous snakes in my garden. A pit viper and a king cobra but my dogs spotted them and we could call the local snake catcher to remove the viper the king disappeared by its self and non venomous snakes getting killed by my dogs...

Rule number one don't play or try to catch it if you are not a professional...

I saw i Croatia one of these degenerate dogs of a German tourist tried to fight with a snake. 1 min for the snake to win, 5 min till the dog was in heaven. Given the different size a man would have lived a bit longer.....(20 min?)

Just take care very few people get bitten by snakes, usually through accidentally standing on them , unless you are an idiot and play with them. You she always get medical attention from any snake bite , Even if not poisonous, you may get other deceases from them, treat the bite as if it was a broken limb keep it immobilize if possible and seek medic attention , Some snakes in Thailand there are no anti venom, if possible get the snake that bites you, or a picture, because some treatment may kill you or make the situation worse if they use the wrong type.

At one time it was thought that Lucozade was a cure for HIV, because it had, Lucozade aids recovery, printed on the label.

Anyone unlucky enough to get bitten by a venomous snake in Thailand, may just as well take themselve`s to the morgue before the poison takes affect.

I once made inquiries at several hospitals regarding what should I do if I get bitten by a snake? They all said; kill the snake, bring it to the hospital and they will try to determine what species of snake it is. And all admitted that none of them hold any anti venom on the premises. They have to first establish what type of venomous snake it is, then phone around to see if anyone has any anti venom somewhere. By the time they have sorted, the victim would be long dead.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Small local hospitals and I hear clinics in our area do hold anti venom, my sister in law got bitten on the finger 2 years back by a snake, it was around 5am and still dark so she couldn't identify the snake, she went to the hospital where they took blood samples to determine whether the snake was venomous or not,

I think the blood tests were mixed with some chemical and if the blood sample mixed then turned solid it would have meant the snake was venomous,

she spent 2 nights in hospital,, luckily the bite wasn't venomous. The hospital at that time did hold the anti venom

Here in Phuket I was told, if bitten by a snake, to find the nearest snake show. They will have the anti-venom and they are who the hospital will call anyway. Wake them up if it is the middle of the night. Oh, and try to kill the snake and bring it with if you can.

I'm very suspicious about advice to kill the snake. If that's easy and obvious - if it's a little one in plain view and you have a garden hoe - then fair enough. But most bites and "dry" - no venom - and most people get badly bitten while trying to kill the snake, when it goes all-out to try and save itself.