Ereaders and talking books

billd766

I am interested in buying an Ereader which will take up less physical space than my current library and I would like to also find and download some talking books.

I am not sure if there is a unit that will do this unless I use something like a tablet for the audio part.

Does Kindle or other Ereaders offer the talking book facility?

Kindle is great.. wish i bought one before. So muchh better as reading on an Ipad.

We are talking about the paper white ones.. they are great in sunlight ect.

I dont think that kinde has the talking book facility but your phone has. A talking book (the ones I know) is nothing more as an MP3 file or a series of MP3 files.

I think several newer models of eReaders have the capability of playing MP3s, i.e. audiobooks

My current Kobo doesn't, but I don't want that feature. However, I think newer models of Kobo can play audiobooks as well obviously as download books for reading. My backup, a Sony eReader, can manage both ebooks as well as MP3s.

I have used my Kindle since it first became available. Currently have three of them (one is backup, third is backer for that one), really hooked on them. The Paperwhite is very fine but a bit heavy for extended holding.

You can make the Kindle read the book to you (not audio book, just ordinary mobi file) by using the Kindle text-to-speech option: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/let-your-kindle-read-to-you-with-texttospeech.html

Thank you all very much for your helpful information. The small problem I have seen with the Kindle is the extra bits you need to buy, such as a power supply, a case and an anti glare screen protector. So to their price of 7,990 you need to add 890 for the case, 500 for the charger and 300 for the screen, a total of 9,680 baht.

B2S seem to be the Kindle dealer but they also sell Nook and Kobo Ereaders at a lower price.

http://kindle-thailand.in.th/en/kindle-store/#!/eBook-Reader/c/1580346/inview=product21211694&offset=0&sort=normal

I have the very basic Nook and really like it. Easy to hold - can read with one hand while on BTS. Dont need a case, and the charger is a just a regular cord with a plug. It does not have any voice ability, but that is not important to me.

I only wish I would have bought one that has a back light, though I do have a small clip on light that I use when reading in the dark.

Thank you all very much for your helpful information. The small problem I have seen with the Kindle is the extra bits you need to buy, such as a power supply, a case and an anti glare screen protector. So to their price of 7,990 you need to add 890 for the case, 500 for the charger and 300 for the screen, a total of 9,680 baht.

B2S seem to be the Kindle dealer but they also sell Nook and Kobo Ereaders at a lower price.

http://kindle-thailand.in.th/en/kindle-store/#!/eBook-Reader/c/1580346/inview=product21211694&offset=0&sort=normal

You can charge the kindle with a computer too I even charge it with the charger from my mobile phone. I never bought a protector, i did buy the case.

I have used my Kindle since it first became available. Currently have three of them (one is backup, third is backer for that one),.--Keeniaus96

Keeniaus96 have you considered getting a fourth Kindle to back up the one that is backing up the the backup of the original??

Just out of shear curiosity ---do you wear a belt & braces ...............coffee1.gif

Hi Bill,

Kindle is OK but you are restricted (I believe) in the formats you can read. What I have done is to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 (7" screen) and install the app 'Moon+Reader'. This app will read all formats, ie, pub, mobi, pdf, etc. Also allows you to change font sizes, backgrounds and all the other good stuff.

I have mine setup black background, white text and have never had a problem, inside or outside, night or day, reading.

Any make of 7" tablet will do as long as it has an android OS. Obviously the higher the screen resolution, the better the experience....................wink.png

Hi Bill,

Kindle is OK but you are restricted (I believe) in the formats you can read. What I have done is to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 (7" screen) and install the app 'Moon+Reader'. This app will read all formats, ie, pub, mobi, pdf, etc. Also allows you to change font sizes, backgrounds and all the other good stuff.

I have mine setup black background, white text and have never had a problem, inside or outside, night or day, reading.

Any make of 7" tablet will do as long as it has an android OS. Obviously the higher the screen resolution, the better the experience....................wink.png

Not attacking you but I found reading on a tablet in the sun quite bad, it did not even come near to the quality of an e reader with paper-white screen. The kindle you can convert all formats if you have a computer and a program. Its quite easy to learn I would never again use a tablet for reading compared to a paper-white e reader.

Hi Bill,

Not attacking you but I found reading on a tablet in the sun quite bad, it did not even come near to the quality of an e reader with paper-white screen. The kindle you can convert all formats if you have a computer and a program. Its quite easy to learn I would never again use a tablet for reading compared to a paper-white e reader.

Yeah, noted, everyone to their own and certainly not criticizing your choice.

It was why I mentioned the way I have mine setup, black background, white text. If the app you use has the ability to change the appearance, try it. You shouldn't be disappointed.

I was one of the late ones (only been using this for a couple of years) to change over. I have literally rolleyes.gif hundreds of books, but since the experience of 'the electronic book' I honestly don't remember the last time I turned a page.

For some reason I've never understood, KINDLE eliminated the audio capabilities of all their E-readers starting with the Paperwhite. The Kindle "TOUCH" which does not have a backlit screen was the last one with audio. That is why I still keep my "Touch" though I also have a Paperwhite. Sometimes I like to listen to classical music while reading and with the Touch I can do that without having to juggle two devices. I fly a lot and audio books are a really nice way to pass the time after your eyes get too tired to read.

BTW, the difference between reading on an e-reader and a tablet is that the tablet screen cycles on and off 50-60 times a second which eventually tires most peoples eyes. Ereader screens do not cycle. They are a different technology and are much less tiring on the eyes when reading for more than an hour at a time.

There are a huge number of books available free on the internet. As someone pointed out, the problem comes with the wide variety of formats they come in. Fortunately, there is a free computer program called "CALIBRE" that will easily convert almost any format into the files you need. Once you download it (CNET is a good source) there are several good tutorials explaining it's use on You Tube.

Cheaper at ThaiExcite:

http://www.thaiexcite.com/eReaders-Tablets/

Bought a Paperwhite from there for my wife and had it in 2 days.

Cheaper at ThaiExcite:

http://www.thaiexcite.com/eReaders-Tablets/

Bought a Paperwhite from there for my wife and had it in 2 days.

I tried that link but I got some weird results so I dumped it quickly, twice.

Love my paper white, lights out in the bed room when wife sleeps, all happy.

I also have an old 3g key pad kindle with audio I think, never used that feature.

Don't worry about the changer as already mentioned, I have a cheap charger that I use for travel and it can charge both my phone & kindle and they uses the same mini usb cable, thankfully.

For any avid book reader the kindles are hard to beat and how about a +12 hour flight, no worries the kindle can do that easily without charging.

I never tried the kobo so can't comment on them.

• 6 months later...

Hi !

I want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite or a Kobo Glo HD.

Normal price is around 120$ internationaly, but... much more expensive on the very few website selling them in Thailand, almost twice the normal price ! sad.png

At the same time you can find in Thailand any computer or ipad or anything at a better price than in France for example... So i don't get it.

Is there a way to get one of those eReader in Thailand at a fair price ? :)

Preferably a shop, in Chiang Mai.

Or via Amazon.com ? Any idea of the taxes ?

Hi !

Normal price is around 120$ internationaly, but... much more expensive on the very few website selling them in Thailand, almost twice the normal price ! sad.png

At the same time you can find in Thailand any computer or ipad or anything at a better price than in France for example... So i don't get it.

Is there a way to get one of those eReader in Thailand at a fair price ? smile.png

If you go to the Amazon website and select a reader, it will tell you the shipping and duty price for Thailand. I did buy a case with my Paperwhite but don't think it's that necessary. I leave my case off the reader except when I'm travelling because of the extra weight. If you plan to use the reader mostly at home, then you can get by without it. As others pointed out, if you have a phone with a mini-usb charger, that will work on the reader.

Hi !

Is there a way to get one of those eReader in Thailand at a fair price ? smile.png

I have a feeing that they are available at certain B2S shops in Thailand.

Their website is here.

http://kindle-thailand.in.th/en/tag/b2s/

Thanks. But really overpriced at B2s, and i guess same price in their shop than in their website.

I'll ask in a Chiang Mai topic, but it looks almost impossible to find a eReader (at correct price) in Thailand... facepalm.gif

That is why I ordered mine through Ebay. It took a little longer but I saved 25% of the price.