Surfshop In Bangkok

Inzaghi22

Hi!

Does anybody of you know if there is a surfshop in Bangkok? I am looking for surfboards and skimboards...I hope you can help me :o

Matt

I thought I'd seen just about every possible question about Thailand on TV by now, but I have to admit that this one left me slack-jawed.

Can I nominate this guy for the highly coveted Howler of the year award right now?

I've seen some around but they have just been decoration. You might find something in Phuket. From http://www.saltwater-dreaming.com/ :

"Surfing in Thailand is always for fun. It's certainly not a world surfing destination, but at the right time of year, you can surf a few waves with the locals, the atmosphere in the water is fun and friendly and the local Thai surfers keep the true heart and soul of surfing alive."

Charlie don't surf.

Do Thais count as "Charlie"? It's hard to believe that US soldiers never came up with a specific slur for Thai people.

I've seen some around but they have just been decoration. You might find something in Phuket. From http://www.saltwater-dreaming.com/ :

"Surfing in Thailand is always for fun. It's certainly not a world surfing destination, but at the right time of year, you can surf a few waves with the locals, the atmosphere in the water is fun and friendly and the local Thai surfers keep the true heart and soul of surfing alive."

Charlie don't surf.

Do Thais count as "Charlie"? It's hard to believe that US soldiers never came up with a specific slur for Thai people.

No, you're right, probably not many Thais in the Viet Cong ... and it wasn't really a slur, it was US phoenetic alphabet for ''Viet Cong'' ... Victor Charlie ... Charlie.

Hang eleven, dude!

Charlie don't surf.

Awsome! I never knew about this site, glad I found out.

If only Thailand had bigger waves.

they got waves certain times of the year up the Andaman sea coast north of Phuket. I haven't seen it myself but that area has protection from what I see on a map so don't expect much regarding the strength of the swell...I surfed outside of Pelanbuhanratu south coast of west Java on a big day (6 ft +) and it weren't <deleted>...and totally exposed to the Indian Ocean??

regarding equipment just bring an all rounder...mostly good for beach break. Also bring coral protection as in booties and a vest...at low tide you're in for the bone yard...

good surfin'...

Charlie don't surf.

Awsome! I never knew about this site, glad I found out.

If only Thailand had bigger waves.

http://www.one2go-magazine.com/specialfeature.htm :o:D:D

Hi!

Does anybody of you know if there is a surfshop in Bangkok? I am looking for surfboards and skimboards...I hope you can help me :o

Matt

Well, being a surfer myself, I have never missed a chance to peek into surf departments of bigger dept stores.

In short, expensive, limited supply and clueless staff. So clueless that it is beyond comprehension. Like they have been dragged from a street foodcart to man the stand while real staff is out for lunch.

Had they watched 1 surf video they would have learned something about surf.

Nothing like surfers that run similar shops in Oz or Japan.

In Pattaya - there is a Quiksilver "factory outlet" - that is 20% more expensive than same merchandise in Australia or Tokyo. Probably aimed at people who have no idea what surf is and think it must a good deal since it is Thailand and the goods are manufactured there. Russians, North Europeans and so on.

The only surf that comes close to what the sport is in Australia could be in Phuket. There was a championship the other year.

I would not buy anything more complicated than a cap or a t-shirt from a surf shop in Thailand.

Try searching for "STARBOARD" in Bangna from google.! Their office is there, and I'm sure they can make arrangements for you if you contact them.

The guy who owns the place is called Svein.

Starboard is windsurfing, not surfing, and they are not retailers. Their dealer is listed on their website, Amara in Pattaya.

THere is a wake boarding lake at Bung Taco however, and they have some wakeboarding equipment. One of those people may be able to guide you.

however since there is no surf of note around BKK, I think you are out of luck; head down to Phuket and there is some gear there, but not much.

The Cobra factory churning out the pop out boards doesn't sell locally; they are OEM for overseas brands. There might be some 'leakage' but that would be to Phuket, not BKK.

Hard to expect anyone to sell surf gear and know what they are talking about in BKK; same would apply for snowboard or ski gear.