Are Police Searches Still Continuing?

travla

Hi all,

I will be in Bkk very soon after a year away and was wondering what the latest situation with regards to foreigners being stopped and searched by the local police is.

I know at one time it was quite prevalent, but what's it like now?

Haven't heard much about it lately- has it mainly stopped?

In near enough 20 years I've not been stopped at all. I usually stay lower end of Sukhumvit.

Any experiences of this would be interesting to hear!

It's calmed down quite a bit around Asoke, but it never completely stops. I live and work in the area and haven't witnessed any stops since the hubbub receded.

Nothing to worry about in the scheme of things... Enjoy your visit!

Two weeks ago, down by Phrom Phong, a pair of Thong Lo BIBs pulled up on motocy and stopped me. Questions and search. Once they realized they were not going to find any drugs on me, they were embarrassed and claimed that they were looking for a GUN!!! Right, because everyone knows 50 year old Farang walking around with guns is a huge problem here, and this needs to be clamped down on. I believe they freaked out that I might put them on the internet, and needed some excuse. However, they were polite enough and I was not offended.

That said, I believe the "on the street drug testing" has stopped. But the occasional stop, question, and search, while less frequent, still occurs.

The routine stopping and searching of foreigners seems to have stopped. I used to see people being searched around the Asoke area every day - but not seen any searches for a while.

But they still try their luck now and then. The guidelines sent to the Police after all the publicity said that they can search if the foreigner appears to be surprised or alarmed at the site of a policeman. So keep calm and carry a passport copy.

But they still try their luck now and then. The guidelines sent to the Police after all the publicity said that they can search if the foreigner appears to be surprised or alarmed at the site of a policeman. So keep calm and carry a passport copy.

I could be wrong but I think I read that you also need a copy of your last arrival stamp too. Again,things change so much I could be mistaken but the last time i read anything, it said carry copies of passport and last arrival stamp.

There was about 10 cops in the middle of Sukhumvit Soi 16 doing stop and searches yesterday.

They usually do the stop and searches in the end of Sukhumvit Soi 16, at the small intersection. Ive seen it at least 5-6 times during this last one year period

But its nothing to worry about as long as you dont carry anything illegal.

Edited by BKKBobby

I've been stopped countless times for the new breathalyser test where they have a karaoke microphone thing and you count to 3 out loud

All good though, as long as your not drunk you are gone in ten seconds..... If you're caught drink driving the poster says 5000 but I saw someone else paying 2k and allowed to drive on so the law is still negotiable if you have enough cash

Ain't Singapore yet.....