Mama instant noodles sale drops for the first time in 42 years

Two ways to take this:

1) The economy is sinking and the next recession is upon us

2) The economy is doing a lot better and people are up scaling their meals.

This is Thaivisa, so both at the same time...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The sale contraction for the first four months of the year reflected economic slowdown which has affected the grassroots people who are the main consumer of instant noodles."

What can you buy and eat that is cheaper than MAMA noodle??? Or did the grassroots just start to go out in the jungle and get their food that way??

I would think that Household debt is at a record high, the sale of MAMA noodle should be an indicator of that as more people would start buying MAMA noodle to afford the monthly installments on their Benz. So the sale of MAMA noodle should go up, not down....

I hope that the reduced sales are a reflection of consumer intelligence. Mama Noodles are a dangerous unhealthy source of saturated fat and sodium.

In fact, a package of Mama Noodles can deliver 1/2 the recommended sodium intake. No vitamins, and no nutritional value in a mama noodle bag. It is the Thai version of eating fast food fried potatoes with their 17 chemical additives. Mama is the Queen of Junk food.

attachicon.gifTom Yum.jpg

I agree. Even with other things added, this stuff is unhealthy. Yet many Thai children eat nothing else for their breakfast; sometimes lunch and dinner, too.

Maybe here is the reason why:

Scientists revealed ink between frequent consumption of instant noodles, and heart disease. In women, it increases the likelihood of developing the metabolic syndrome, by 68 percent when they ate Instant-noodle soup twice a week. The reason: The products contain a lot of calories, saturated fat, simple carbohydrates, and sodium. A combination that obviously negatively affect primarily the metabolism of women.

And they blame McDonalds for Thais gaining weight. Right. You're better off with a Big Mac! Even less calories. laugh.png

Luckily, wifey won't even buy these. Only fresh noodles.

A Big Mac has 550 calories, a bag of mama 280.

But noodles are dull & a big Mac is not !

"The sale contraction for the first four months of the year reflected economic slowdown which has affected the grassroot people who are the main consumer of instant noodles"

​Not so sure about an economic slowdown being the cause of Mama sale contraction as noted in this quote.

I am hearing rumblings of a boycott swirling about social media.

Apparently the chairman of this company has taken some political stands that have not gone unnoticed by key consumers of this product, described as follows and I quote"....grassroot people who are the main consumer of instant noodles".

Perhaps Yingluck stopped buying large quantities as she no longer needs them to sustain her during those all too often overseas jaunts?

Get real. Stop buying them as a "political protest" clap2.gif

Did you get that one straight from the boss?

I hope that the reduced sales are a reflection of consumer intelligence. Mama Noodles are a dangerous unhealthy source of saturated fat and sodium.

In fact, a package of Mama Noodles can deliver 1/2 the recommended sodium intake. No vitamins, and no nutritional value in a mama noodle bag. It is the Thai version of eating fast food fried potatoes with their 17 chemical additives. Mama is the Queen of Junk food.

attachicon.gifTom Yum.jpg

I agree. Even with other things added, this stuff is unhealthy. Yet many Thai children eat nothing else for their breakfast; sometimes lunch and dinner, too.

My wife bought some nice noodle dishes home for dinner. My daughter refused them - and got some Mama instead. Even though she knows they are junk. I have a MD friend who also takes them to the office for a snack. Even though as a doctor she knows they're not an healthy choice.

Cheap though - and that's the issue. Other fast food is expensive as well as junk.

The wife just mentioned that they have gotten some notoriety up here in Isaan as being the cause of some serious birth defects among pregnant women who subsist on mama as a staple, perhaps the aforementioned high lead content. Better alternatives are available now to those with more money such the Korean product Shin Ramen and the like. Wife also says the quality has gone down the drain in the last few years, she thinks they smell of rancid oil, said even the dogs wouldn't eat them. A lot of people in Isaan who should be in the prime of their life with some serious health issues, no awareness of proper diet and Mama not really helping, better to eat rice and your own side dishes.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

"The sale contraction for the first four months of the year reflected economic slowdown which has affected the grassroot people who are the main consumer of instant noodles"

​Not so sure about an economic slowdown being the cause of Mama sale contraction as noted in this quote.

Apparently the chairman of this company has taken some political stands that have not gone unnoticed by key consumers of this product, described as follows and I quote"....grassroot people who are the main consumer of instant noodles".

Perhaps Yingluck stopped buying large quantities as she no longer needs them to sustain her during those all too often overseas jaunts?

Get real. Stop buying them as a "political protest" clap2.gif

Did you get that one straight from the boss?

"Did you get that one straight from the boss?"

I checked this a little further, as to why some people have their "shirt in a knot leading them to campaign not to buy Mama"

What I am told is that the top tier of this Company consistently support the anti-democrats, or "Mob" to quote them directly....The top-dogs are now supporting the continuation of what they perceive to be the anti-democrats.....The motive being to keep poor people poor, in order to enhance consumption of this product.

This is what I am told. It may be good for others to check this as well.

Title should read: "Cancer booster mama noodles sales drops"

We are soon awaiting a statement from "cancer selling outlet" 7/e. to confirm the trend...

Great news! These noodles are the ultimate junk food, high in salt and with little nutritional value. Maybe Thais are finally waking up to the reality that they can cook better stuff at home for a fraction of the price.

I am totaly agred that company its trying to get higher price with thet.

Mama noodles it is WAX...and a 3 days its woun't leave the stomack.

May be is that a reason and thais get richer than before 10 years ago.

whistling.gif Perhaps some commentators on this subject have not read the extremely negative testing done on Lead levels on that very brand of noodles by laboratories that showed they were well over the maximum danger level of Lead contamination in those noodles.

I know it was printed in the Bangkok post in English, and I expect it was also in at least some Thai newspapers in Thai.

I suspect that report had a lot to do with the slump in sales of the noodles.

You are confused between Maggi noodles made by Nestle in India and the Mama noodles made in Thailand. Go and read the article in BKK post again.

if this is indeed the case, can clause 44 be invoked to make people buy them?

And they blame McDonalds for Thais gaining weight. Right. You're better off with a Big Mac! Even less calories. laugh.png

"You're better off with a Big Mac! Even less calories" blink.png

Mama noodles box, calories 280 (see label post 18)

Big Mac, calories 549 without Coke and Fries of course

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-sandwiches-burgers-big-mac-burger_f-ZmlkPTEwMTAyOA.html

My wife and I continue to prop up Mama here in the UK at 65p for a large hot & spicy. Couple of eggs, vegetables and friend minced pork thrown in and microwaved for three minutes for the occasional TV dinner. Lovely.

When my wife & I travel to UK we always have half a case of Mama because she can't find them in England.

Our local Thai shop sells them, Mike (and 30p for a small pack). Though, when we return to UK twice a year from our LOS holidays, my wife invariably has half a suitcase full of Mama as they're just so darn cheap.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-sandwiches-burgers-big-mac-burger_f-ZmlkPTEwMTAyOA.html

Agreed! I don't eat Big Macs, nor Mama noodles. But the burger is very filling. I'd probably have to eat 2 cups of noodles to be full. smile.png

The noodles that are 'alleged' to have a high lead content are Maggi noodles produced by Nestle. They have been temporarily banned from sale only in Delhi India. Mama noodles are made by Thai Produce Company.

I doubt very much whether a food scare in India would have any affect on the sales of a completely different brand in Thailand, but you never know.

Agreed! I don't eat Big Macs, nor Mama noodles. But the burger is very filling. I'd probably have to eat 2 cups of noodles to be full. smile.png

You'r right ! I said so for we were speaking about calories smile.png They are certainly not everything. Mama noodles has almost no proteins one could find in MacDo's meat.

whistling.gif Perhaps some commentators on this subject have not read the extremely negative testing done on Lead levels on that very brand of noodles by laboratories that showed they were well over the maximum danger level of Lead contamination in those noodles.

I know it was printed in the Bangkok post in English, and I expect it was also in at least some Thai newspapers in Thai.

I suspect that report had a lot to do with the slump in sales of the noodles.

I won't eat the things... horrible, no nutrition food.

But I'm curious: how the heck are they getting lead into instant soup noodles?