Why do you want to marry again?

AlexRRR

You sound very fortunate to,have such a loving Thai family. Hope the sisters continue

To assist you, The live in sounds great, hope you consider two part time people to

Help. Sometime one housekeeper/caregiver can become overwhelmed , much

Better to have" A broad base of assistance". Days off to visit family,will help

Retain domestic help. You sound generous, and thoughtful . My sympathy for

The loss of your wife, good luck.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...It helps to pass the timesmile.png ...not really, just joking.

Actually, a few members on here have met the wife, and i think they would agree with me....where can you get another smile like she's got...

She is not just my wife, she is my mate as well...and thats the difference for me....

I married so it was "possible" to get half my investment back if we parted. My place has doubled in value so it could be "possible" to get all my investment back...But...........whistling.gif .............laugh.png

this is a valid response / reason for getting married. Also, if your lady gets preggers then it will be necessary to get married so that the family does not lose face. There you go OP ... 2 reasons

I do not want to marry again and will not do do under any set of circumstances.I also do not enjoy living alone. It is possible to find a younger lady that will live with you and take care of you by becoming a housekeeper/companion at a specified monthly rate of compensation. I am now 76 years old and was married to my Thai wife for 23 years before she succumbed to cancer in January. of this year at age 57. Two houses of course were in her name and in accordance with what my wife would have wanted went to two of her sisters with my absolute consent. They have been terrific in taking care of me for the last 5 months with daily stop-bys bringing food, doing housekeeping chores, laundry, etc. Would have been very difficult without them. I now have a 35-year old live-in that has been here all of 3 weeks but it looks like she might last. She now has health insurance for accidents, a bank account which she never had before, and a gym membership. She knows that she can make trips to see her 3-year old daughter in Nong Khai as as often as she likes. There is no expectation of love but I hope a mutual fondness and sense of caring develops both ways - so far, so good, kniock on wood. If she does last I will amend my last will and testament to compensate her for however long she has looked after me. Probably some factor of how long vs.hiow much a month. If the timing permits I will establish another banki account to handle the "separation" compensation. Can anyone think of anything else I should consider such as sending her to school to learn some kind of a trade that would provide some income after my demise? Constructive comments appreciated.

you want constructive comments... dont tell her that she is in your new Will. Obvious reasons really

Well first off Thais are very traditional when it comes to marriage. If a Thai Woman is living with a man (shall we say in sin) for a long time people will pose questions as to why. Neighbours and relatives will talk. Your Thai Girlfriend will face a lot of family pressure if she continues to stay with you and is still unmarried to you. Unlike Au, or Canada, a Thai Woman has no rights over you even if she lives with you for many years.

Canada to has the same law as AU. You can bring your Thai Girlfriend with you their if you have been living as husband and wife for 2 years. I get the impression that you seem to see this as a reason not to get married. But what you may not know is that when you being your Thai Girlfriend over as your Common Law Wife, she has the same rights as a Married Wife their. Which means she can sue you for Maintenance and Alimony if you break up. So as they say in Thailand it is the "Same...Same..but Different".

I don't think many people have much choice in whether they should bring their wife to their country. If you are an Overseas Worker than you are probably better to leave her in Thailand and bring her their for a visit. But most people are not. So to be together she would have to come with you. So what if she washes dishes for a living. She is probably making a triple wage their for doing that, which counts the most with Thais. My Wife has a B.A, in Accounting but she would be happy to make beds in a hotel for triple the wage. Although her English is quite good and could probably do better.

I don't think any man in his right mind wishes to get remarried right away after a Divorce. Unless of course he already has his Thai Honey on the string and wants to end his past marriage to start a new one. I don't think it is great love either, that causes them to remarry. Although Thai Woman are certainly lovable and for most of us a refreshing change to what we got force to being used to. Personally, I think you only really fall into love one time in your life, and many never do. If you don't believe this than you probably haven't fallen into deep love yet.

Why guys get married again after they have been divorced is really quite a simple reason. No Man is an Island! We were not meant to live alone. Sure you can do the Bar Scene for a while, but how long can you go on renting someones love, attention, and time? Disney Land can be fun to, but when you really start believing that Donald Duck is actually talking to you, don't you think it is time to leave then?

I have been divorced 2 other times before. Once in Canada, where after many years we discovered we were not meant for each other, and the other time in Poland, where I was away working so much it was like I wasn't married anyway. I was living with my Thai Wife for 4 years (or was it 5) before we got married. In all that time I never spent a night in her parents place with my then Girlfriend. I was always told nicely that I would be more comfortable in the hotel with my present wife, as it had A.C and a Hot Shower which made perfect sense to me. But right after we were married they insisted I stay their every time. Even built us a bedroom and a hot shower for me. Do you see the difference?

I still don't have much faith in marriages and them lasting forever. But so far it has been great for me. It is certainly better than living alone and being an Island all that time.

I'll tell you one thing, since I'm married, single people look absolutely ridiculous to me. I held out for a long time. I wanted to keep it going. But now that I have passed through to the other side, I can see how stupid single people act. Of course, when I was single, and I looked at married people, especially the ones with kids, I was horrified. Why would people do that to themselves?"--To the New York Times

Beyond me. Last month met an Englishman at the beach, never seen him before but i was seized upon to hear his tale of woe, married at 73, wife had soon moved out of house he bought, and at least (his words) her family had said he could stay in the house till his death

Oh well, I've heard such tales before. But his final line was the killer -

"i'd never have believed it could happen to me twice"

Yes, he was an old hand, having done the wedding, payment and house with his previous Thai wife.

There's still hope i guess, third time lucky?

Why come to Thailand to hear that? Just go down to your local pub and you will hear all kinds of sob stories.

The Brits may well have wanted to marry so they could offer their teeraks an additional layer of security in the form of Bereavement benefits.

Unfortunately, they will no longer be payable in Thailand after next April.

They want to marry because at 60y/o the 28 y/o Thai Woman LOVES ME.....Now I

Can buy a house, car, motorbike all in her name, and come on to TV. And tell every-

one how terrible she was to throw my drunken a.. out on the street and TAKE all my

money....555555555555

Get a Life! What do you know about this? Just from reading a few negative posts. There are lots of people here who are married to a Thai Woman for a long tome who are much younger than them and are very happy.

You talk like things like this don't happen in you own country. I know lots of guy in the West who came home to an empty house and the wife and the kids gone to hell knows where. I have a brother who loved his wife dearly and who put his wife through University and paid for everything including the dare care for his kids so she could attend. After she graduated and now was making more money that he was she left him for a younger man of at least 20 years younger. So let's talk about that for a change.

You seem to think these women are only with men like this for money, so I will as you a question. How many women in your country dream of marrying a poor man?.

A guy i once knew, good looking, great job

Hardly fits the demographic of most of the 'expat' basket cases who get married over here, most of whom are the wrong side of 55, wrong side of 90kg on the scales, left their looks behind in 1975, and haven't had a job since the 1980s.

sounds like your talking about me!tongue.png

.....since 1995, vis a vis the job bit....and am about 65 kilos. Looks?...well, twice recently, there have been attempts by much younger parties to pick me up/engage ....unfortunately the attempts were made by blokes.....

My wife & i were blissfully happy for over 35 years------- then we met.......coffee1.gif

Its an old joke I know--but I really do not think that the divorce rate is that high---in comparison to the west--

Latest statistics (published December 2012) estimate that 42% of first marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. A higher figure for 2nd marriages.

America 40-50% in the first marriage----up to 60% in the 2nd marriage http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/

More than every other person in the west on a 2nd marriage getting divorced----is that what your seeing here ??

We are just about dealing in 100% 2nd marriages for the guys in Thailand---& honestly, maybe I am moving in different circles , but most I know are just so F%**king grateful for what they have got here ---compared to back home. The break up figures I know of are so much lower then when I get a letter from Oz .....usually telling me so & so have split & so have ....etc ....etc

One of the problems I have seen when living in Pattaya for a number of years was---- the opposite to the common saying...... You can take the girl out the bar but you cant take the bar out,,,,,,,etc ..etc....... No it was usually the guy you couldn't take out of the bar from what I saw-----he got married & still thought he would carry on as before----then sat wondering why she left.

There are faults on both sides of course-----wish they had figures to show us the stats----thing about being on Thai-Visa...... is that you usually get bad stories, as the saying goes---good news doesn't sell, Come on & say your really happy & the thread will last half a page----------come up with a story about being ripped off & it will be a tomb .

Edited by sanuk711

My 1st Thai wife was an Issan girl. She was more devoted to her family than she was to me. It didnt work and lasted 1 year.

My wife now is from Saraburi just East of Bangkok and shes the best thing that has ever happened to me after living here for 13 years.

Well first off Thais are very traditional when it comes to marriage. If a Thai Woman is living with a man (shall we say in sin) for a long time people will pose questions as to why. Neighbours and relatives will talk. Your Thai Girlfriend will face a lot of family pressure if she continues to stay with you and is still unmarried to you. Unlike Au, or Canada, a Thai Woman has no rights over you even if she lives with you for many years.

Canada to has the same law as AU. You can bring your Thai Girlfriend with you their if you have been living as husband and wife for 2 years. I get the impression that you seem to see this as a reason not to get married. But what you may not know is that when you being your Thai Girlfriend over as your Common Law Wife, she has the same rights as a Married Wife their. Which means she can sue you for Maintenance and Alimony if you break up. So as they say in Thailand it is the "Same...Same..but Different".

I don't think many people have much choice in whether they should bring their wife to their country. If you are an Overseas Worker than you are probably better to leave her in Thailand and bring her their for a visit. But most people are not. So to be together she would have to come with you. So what if she washes dishes for a living. She is probably making a triple wage their for doing that, which counts the most with Thais. My Wife has a B.A, in Accounting but she would be happy to make beds in a hotel for triple the wage. Although her English is quite good and could probably do better.

I don't think any man in his right mind wishes to get remarried right away after a Divorce. Unless of course he already has his Thai Honey on the string and wants to end his past marriage to start a new one. I don't think it is great love either, that causes them to remarry. Although Thai Woman are certainly lovable and for most of us a refreshing change to what we got force to being used to. Personally, I think you only really fall into love one time in your life, and many never do. If you don't believe this than you probably haven't fallen into deep love yet.

Why guys get married again after they have been divorced is really quite a simple reason. No Man is an Island! We were not meant to live alone. Sure you can do the Bar Scene for a while, but how long can you go on renting someones love, attention, and time? Disney Land can be fun to, but when you really start believing that Donald Duck is actually talking to you, don't you think it is time to leave then?

I have been divorced 2 other times before. Once in Canada, where after many years we discovered we were not meant for each other, and the other time in Poland, where I was away working so much it was like I wasn't married anyway. I was living with my Thai Wife for 4 years (or was it 5) before we got married. In all that time I never spent a night in her parents place with my then Girlfriend. I was always told nicely that I would be more comfortable in the hotel with my present wife, as it had A.C and a Hot Shower which made perfect sense to me. But right after we were married they insisted I stay their every time. Even built us a bedroom and a hot shower for me. Do you see the difference?

I still don't have much faith in marriages and them lasting forever. But so far it has been great for me. It is certainly better than living alone and being an Island all that time.

Village mentality makes people traditional, the times are a changing we are free to choose our way but please don't use it as an excuse, in a western Thai arrangment why does the westerner need to bend over to accommodate his Thai partner?

Commitment comes from the heart, either your in it or your not, a piece of paper won't keep you together.

My first TGF who i married had lived with her Thai bf for 7 ys on reflection he was a lot smarter than me, why did i marry her...ho it was that romantic notion, the one where she wanted it and because i loved her i obliged.

Second and current TGF both pretty much came out and said marriage is not on there radar and there happy to just live together, second TGF also had a live in Thai bf of 6 ys who lived in her apartment, current TGF bought a house with her sister and lives in it with her parents, TG's 1,2 and 4 come from middle class families all went to university have degrees and had or have what we in the west would consider good jobs.

TGF number 3 the youngest came from a poor family but very determined, got herself a student loan and put herself through university, when i met her she was half way through doing her masters degree, she wanted everything, marriage sin sod and informed me it would be a lot since she was young and educated, about 3 months into the relationship her demands were forth coming, i shouldn't be so tight and pay off her student loans etc, my apartment was 2 blocks from her university she would come and stay the night when ever she came for lectures or group study yet she made out that it was costing her a taxi fare to come see me....so i began giving her 200 each time she came to cover it, her apartment on a good day could be got to for 60B, she was on a pretty good salary for someone of her age working for a multi national co.

She wanted to get married when i told her that i wasn't far off retirement and by marrying her it would impact on any government pension her being an accountant she quickly "got it" and was happy with a Thai wedding.

My experience tells me a different story to many here, if you both want to marry then do it, 3 out of 4 women were cool about just living together, and I'm pretty sure if i met number 1 now she would be cool with it to.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world ... just get married because YOU want to, not for ANY other reason! I have been with my girl for 9 years now and 2 kids later we are as happy as Larry and never married ... if it feels good, do it but otherwise ....

My wife & i were blissfully happy for over 35 years------- then we met.......coffee1.gif

Its an old joke I know--but I really do not think that the divorce rate is that high---in comparison to the west--

Latest statistics (published December 2012) estimate that 42% of first marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. A higher figure for 2nd marriages.

America 40-50% in the first marriage----up to 60% in the 2nd marriage http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/

More than every other person in the west on a 2nd marriage getting divorced----is that what your seeing here ??

We are just about dealing in 100% 2nd marriages for the guys in Thailand---& honestly, maybe I am moving in different circles , but most I know are just so F%**king grateful for what they have got here ---compared to back home. The break up figures I know of are so much lower then when I get a letter from Oz .....usually telling me so & so have split & so have ....etc ....etc

One of the problems I have seen when living in Pattaya for a number of years was---- the opposite to the common saying...... You can take the girl out the bar but you cant take the bar out,,,,,,,etc ..etc....... No it was usually the guy you couldn't take out of the bar from what I saw-----he got married & still thought he would carry on as before----then sat wondering why she left.

There are faults on both sides of course-----wish they had figures to show us the stats----thing about being on Thai-Visa...... is that you usually get bad stories, as the saying goes---good news doesn't sell, Come on & say your really happy & the thread will last half a page----------come up with a story about being ripped off & it will be a tomb .

Not sure where you get those divorce rates from - the official figure for Thailand is something over 1 in 3. However, that ignores the fact that many 'marriages' are village weddings that do not get recorded.

I think the rate is much higher - and I doubt many of those gals in Pattaya or Nana are happily married!

My partner is from a 'normal' Isaan family and has 8 bothers and sisters - 6 have been divorced, 1 brother became a monk and the 'still married' sister hates her husband with a passion.

Village mentality makes people traditional, the times are a changing we are free to choose our way but please don't use it as an excuse, in a western Thai arrangment why does the westerner need to bend over to accommodate his Thai partner?

Commitment comes from the heart, either your in it or your not, a piece of paper won't keep you together.

My first TGF who i married had lived with her Thai bf for 7 ys on reflection he was a lot smarter than me, why did i marry her...ho it was that romantic notion, the one where she wanted it and because i loved her i obliged.

Second and current TGF both pretty much came out and said marriage is not on there radar and there happy to just live together, second TGF also had a live in Thai bf of 6 ys who lived in her apartment, current TGF bought a house with her sister and lives in it with her parents, TG's 1,2 and 4 come from middle class families all went to university have degrees and had or have what we in the west would consider good jobs.

TGF number 3 the youngest came from a poor family but very determined, got herself a student loan and put herself through university, when i met her she was half way through doing her masters degree, she wanted everything, marriage sin sod and informed me it would be a lot since she was young and educated, about 3 months into the relationship her demands were forth coming, i shouldn't be so tight and pay off her student loans etc, my apartment was 2 blocks from her university she would come and stay the night when ever she came for lectures or group study yet she made out that it was costing her a taxi fare to come see me....so i began giving her 200 each time she came to cover it, her apartment on a good day could be got to for 60B, she was on a pretty good salary for someone of her age working for a multi national co.

She wanted to get married when i told her that i wasn't far off retirement and by marrying her it would impact on any government pension her being an accountant she quickly "got it" and was happy with a Thai wedding.

My experience tells me a different story to many here, if you both want to marry then do it, 3 out of 4 women were cool about just living together, and I'm pretty sure if i met number 1 now she would be cool with it to.

To be honest, after reading your post I am not sure what you disagree with me on.

I never said I bent over to accommodate my Thai Partner. If you want the truth I feel it is the other way around. It was my Thai Partner who lived with me for about 5 years before marriage and never applying pressure on me to do so. Just trusting in me that we would stay together. To me that is commitment.

I have no doubt that 3 out of 4 Thai Women would live with you before marriage. I have plenty of doubt they would be very happy with that over time. No matter where she comes from. In fact I don't know too many women in my country that would be happy with that either. So why would a Thai Woman be any different?

You tend to think that it is just the Thai Village Mentality that makes marriage traditional. That the modern Thai Woman doesn't need this. Do you really believe that? Is that all this is to you? Is this all you can see of the Big Picture.

Have you ever stopped to think that Thailand is in fact a very traditional country? That a Common Law Wife in this country means nothing, and no more than a Part-time Girlfriend in yours? That an x-wife you divorced 20 years ago has more rights over your dead body, and estate, then she does? Or those grown kids back home, that seem to hate you and who never talk to you anymore? That when you die, which very well will probably be before her, you will leave her nothing?

I suppose if all you want is someone to clean your house and dirty underwear and to cook for you then you don't need marriage. If you form a Business Arrangement with her, and only call her your Girlfriend because she lives with you and you have sex together, that is okay to, I guess. But don't come crying on Thai Visa years latter in how she left you, because in a business arrangement they are always looking for the best deal they can get. If you want a long term Contract with her it is called a Marriage Certificate.

One guy here wisely pointed out that a lot of the marriage breakdown is caused by the man sitting in the bar. I too knew plenty of them. I remember one of my neighbours who used to get drunk every night. Then come home late and yell at his Thai Wife over nothing. She finally couldn't take that anymore and left him. I just wonder now which one of these Thai Women bashers he is on TV, and who is now crying in his soup.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world ... just get married because YOU want to, not for ANY other reason! I have been with my girl for 9 years now and 2 kids later we are as happy as Larry and never married ... if it feels good, do it but otherwise ....

Hope you provided for your wife and kids after you are gone as not being married means she has no rights in this country, and probably yours.

Not sure where you get those divorce rates from - the official figure for Thailand is something over 1 in 3. However, that ignores the fact that many 'marriages' are village weddings that do not get recorded.

I think the rate is much higher - and I doubt many of those gals in Pattaya or Nana are happily married!

My partner is from a 'normal' Isaan family and has 8 bothers and sisters - 6 have been divorced, 1 brother became a monk and the 'still married' sister hates her husband with a passion.

In Canada I am the youngest in 5 children.

My oldest brother has been divorced 3 times, and now lives with a woman unmarried.

My second oldest brother has been divorced 1 time.

My sister 1 time.

My other brother 1 time,

And me 2 times.

So our Family Sibling Divorce Rate is 160%.

So is Canada better or worst than the divorce rates in Thailand?

My point being that one page does not make a book nor does 1 family reflect that countries divorce rate.

Do not know,

Maybe it is the meeya-noi syndrome.... Understand Thailand is different in these ways. Many thai women have babies with other thai men, but then they go and find a new younger one. (and I am not talking about women) Guess it is accepted, because I have seen it happen for many years in Thailand. I know that they are looking for security, but will maybe never confront the father of their child... Personally I have seen this happen so many times, to thai women... But then they may want you to take care of their child from another man, their parents, their family... Just a thought.....

giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

What a lot of cynical comments! My TGF comes from a perfectly good family, has a good job and owns a large house, new car etc. I spend time between the U.K and LOS, and we take holidays together, usually within Asia, and we are perfectly happy. Marriage? I don't know! Things are perfectly O.K as they are, but what the future holds, has yet to be decided. Age difference? She is just slightly younger than my eldest daughter in the U.K. but it doesn't make the slightest difference to us, but then I do work and specialize in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM). I think the other important consideration is that we are also best friends, and both working in different aspects of the medical profession, means that we can talk to each other and have common ground!

Beyond me. Last month met an Englishman at the beach, never seen him before but i was seized upon to hear his tale of woe, married at 73, wife had soon moved out of house he bought, and at least (his words) her family had said he could stay in the house till his death

Oh well, I've heard such tales before. But his final line was the killer -

"i'd never have believed it could happen to me twice"

Yes, he was an old hand, having done the wedding, payment and house with his previous Thai wife.

There's still hope i guess, third time lucky?

"Last month met an Englishman at the beach." Sounds like he was all washed up.

Well...It helps to pass the timesmile.png ...not really, just joking.

Actually, a few members on here have met the wife, and i think they would agree with me....where can you get another smile like she's got...

She is not just my wife, she is my mate as well...and thats the difference for me....

Great post Weegee, and I fully agree with you.