Hilux Revo. Why no interest here?

Bung

The face-lifted Ford Ranger that is coming looks the business inside and out. The existing Ranger was (and still is?) arguably the manliest looking truck on the road. Nothing wrong with their engines either, especially the bigger 3.2l.

I was surprised at the Revo. It actually looks plainer up close and personal than it does in the photos.

I saw something interesting on the way to work this morning in Ayutthaya, new Volkswagen Amarok with red plates. First and only one I have seen. I couldn't tell you if it was someone's import (but why?), or if it was a model brought in by VW to get their engineers up to speed before officially releasing/producing it here. I know VW is building a facility in Thailand.

The new Ranger looks a brute ... Excellent styling and some interesting colours. I was particularly interested to see the Everest with so many features in the top Titanium+ model yet priced on par with Toytota TRD spec Fortuner.

Unfortunately Ford only produced 400 for local market but the next model down is due soon and may be a better option with less electrics... How many Thai drivers need 3 rows of electric seats and a moon roof?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a test car driving and had to look twice to confirm it was the new one.

Followed it to the dealer and checked the interior and that has been sort of spiced up with many of the features that are standard in sedans now.

Didn't drive it yet, but also don't expect a spectacular experience there.

It's more like a touch up of the VIgo than that it's worth to be called a new model.

But as I'm inching up to 300,000 km of trouble free driving in my current Vigo it would be a serious candidate for the replacement.

the new stitching on the door panels is a punch in the eye, considering that it is stamped in the plastic and not woven in the vinyl ...

They had one on display at the local Tescos here a while back, might still be there. Just plain and boring with a tablet stuck on the dash. I sat in it and went to adjust the mirrors, whats up with that silly control knob that "will" fall of and get lost? - that alone is really quite badly made.

Nothing against Toyotas at all really, and I only went and sat in it because it was there and I was curious. As others have said, rather underwhelming.

Buy the Mazda 2 skyactive diesel, plenty of power, and awesome economy, parked up the parjero, you won't be disappointed.

How many tons can it carry in the back again? :D

We're talking pickups, not eco cars LOL

Followed it to the dealer and checked the interior and that has been sort of spiced up with many of the features that are standard in sedans now.

It's more like a touch up of the VIgo than that it's worth to be called a new model.

But as I'm inching up to 300,000 km of trouble free driving in my current Vigo it would be a serious candidate for the replacement.

the new stitching on the door panels is a punch in the eye, considering that it is stamped in the plastic and not woven in the vinyl ...

I saw a 4 door pre runner at over 800,000 that had plastic wheel trims over steel wheels. Unbelievable.

Also cheaper than alloy wheels... Cost cutting.

Who buys a pre runner for work so rough that it would be better to put steel wheels on over allloys? Shouldnt the 4wd's have them then? They are made for rough work.

Toyota are just being cheap buggers. Saving money by living off their good name.

I saw a 4 door pre runner at over 800,000 that had plastic wheel trims over steel wheels. Unbelievable.

Steel wheels are better for rough work, way stronger.

Yeah, but a bit rough to ride in though...I prefer a rim with pneumatic tyres...biggrin.png

Steel wheels are better for rough work, way stronger.

Steel wheels are only on the J-badge (base spec) version

They had one on display at the local Tescos here a while back, might still be there. Just plain and boring with a tablet stuck on the dash. I sat in it and went to adjust the mirrors, whats up with that silly control knob that "will" fall of and get lost? - that alone is really quite badly made.

Nothing against Toyotas at all really, and I only went and sat in it because it was there and I was curious. As others have said, rather underwhelming.

My ol' Vigo has electric mirrors.............giggle.gif ..................tongue.png

I was talking about the control switch for the electric mirrors.

They've done away with the left right slide switch inside a up, down, left, right keypad thing and put a stupid twist left right selector knob there which looks like its from a 1972 TV and will probably get knocked off. I'll look for a picture. Even the Mrs said it was crap. And she couldn't care less about these things.

I will never understand how a big truck market like thailand (2nd) cannot compare in quality to the usa one (1st)...

Not sure what you mean by quality. Truck manufactures in LOS hands are tied..Stupid tax laws etc.

Can go to Lao and buy what you want. My near 8 year old Vigo and the "quality" of what it is is great. No rattles, creaks, knocks, nothing, still drives like new......

I mean that a usa truck (even mid size) cannot compare to any thai model. not even the sales politics of any brand company.

also, if you want a "special" order, the answer is always the same "mai mee".

as an example, I was looking for a 4wd cab with automatic gear. in thailand doesn't exist!

only cab 2wd auto, cab 4wd manual, 4door 4wd auto.

but all the models share the same wheelbase!

a good answer would have been: "yes, but have to order and it takes x months".

in the usa, you can make any change, and since thailand is the 2nd market for pickup, I would have expected something similar...

well i bought one and love it , its by far better than the champ .i have had 3 vigos ,i had the champ on its release date can not fault that truck ,but the revo knocks spots off it.

its more comfy,faster , has many more extras which make it more car like in side , better acceleration and fuel economy , in fact just better in every way

the only down side is lack of after market accessories , i have been waiting 3 weeks for toyota to get them in

try one you will be suprised , mine a 2.4 e my last was a 2.5 e ,i would not swap back for sure

i also forgot to mention i also have a isuzu dmax and comparing the 2 is like apples and pears , the dmax is crap .i swear i will never buy another ,biggest mistake i ever made , im even thinking of swapping it for a new vigo

i also forgot to mention i also have a isuzu dmax and comparing the 2 is like apples and pears , the dmax is crap .i swear i will never buy another ,biggest mistake i ever made , im even thinking of swapping it for a new vigo

For the sake of clarity, what year, body and badge is the dmax?

its not even a year old its what they called the all new dmax 2,5 ,i use it everyday for work ,and when i get in the vigo its like getting in a Lamborghini

Saw some Revos in the flesh today. New exterior is Ok, looks a bit funny broadside, but from other angles it is fine (quite nice from the back). It looks upgraded (fresher) but not a big change.

Interior was discouraging. looks cheap and like they had too many people with different ideas designing it. However I did not sit in the drivers seat to get the proper view and feel.

Overall, I am sure it is a better truck because technology today is better, but Toyota has made another boring and probably dependable vehicle, which fits the Toyota SOP.

its not even a year old its what they called the all new dmax 2,5 ,i use it everyday for work ,and when i get in the vigo its like getting in a Lamborghini
2 or 4 door? Big difference in ride comfort (both are loud though).

OK, I'll be the first to say that the Triton, Revo, Navara and Ranger are noticeably more refined than the D-Max and Colorado, but D-Max vs Lamborghini is a bit of a stretch - the Revo neither accelerates, handles, or looks like a Lambo, and it sure doesn't have the crappy "where's my dentist?" ride quality of one biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edit: ummm, are you talking Revo or VIGO? LOL.

And yes, I always ignore the BT-50 in lists of trucks, that's not a mistake tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

OK, I'll be the first to say that the Triton, Revo, Navara and Ranger are noticeably more refined than the D-Max and Colorado, but D-Max vs Lamborghini is a bit of a stretch - the Revo neither accelerates, handles, or looks like a Lambo, and it sure doesn't have the crappy "where's my dentist?" ride quality of one biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edit: ummm, are you talking Revo or VIGO? LOL.

And yes, I always ignore the BT-50 in lists of trucks, that's not a mistake tongue.png

How will these vehicles be affected by the new tax rates next year? Will it be based on CC or emissions? Is there some calculation table available yet to calculate the new rates? I was thinking of getting a new ranger/navara/x-trail or something similar.

Saw some Revos in the flesh today. New exterior is Ok, looks a bit funny broadside, but from other angles it is fine (quite nice from the back). It looks upgraded (fresher) but not a big change.

Interior was discouraging. looks cheap and like they had too many people with different ideas designing it. However I did not sit in the drivers seat to get the proper view and feel.

Overall, I am sure it is a better truck because technology today is better, but Toyota has made another boring and probably dependable vehicle, which fits the Toyota SOP.

. Too may people ,like that comment.The 2015 Fiestas been upgraded,nice , but. Someone's stuc a Chrome Mini Cooper grill on the front.

How will these vehicles be affected by the new tax rates next year? Will it be based on CC or emissions? Is there some calculation table available yet to calculate the new rates? I was thinking of getting a new ranger/navara/x-trail or something similar.

Excise taxes on pickups are currently calculated like this:

2-doors <=3250cc: 3%

2-doors >3250cc: 50%

4-doors <=3250cc: 13%

4-doors >3250cc: 50%

* 2 doors includes single cab and extra cab

* 4-doors means double cab

The new 2106 excise taxes work like so:

Single cab <200gm CO2, <3250cc: 3%

Single cab >=200gm CO2, <3250cc: 5%

Single cab >= 3250cc: 50%

Extra cab <200gm CO2, <3250cc: 5%

Extra cab >=200gm CO2, <3250cc: 7%

Extra cab >=3250cc: 50%

Double cab <200gm CO2, <3250cc: 12%

Double cab >=200gm CO2, <3250cc: 15%

Double cab >=3250cc: 50%

The CO2 figures for the Revo 2.4L have not yet been revealed, but it's anticipated they will be under 200gm (though that might only be on lower/lighter models). The Triton's new 2.4L diesel is <200gm for lower-grade models, but creeps above it in the higher end. Ford look to be well under the 200gm threshold with their 2015 retuned versions of the 2.2L Ranger engine - but again we need to wait to see what models do/don't get under the threshold.

At this stage, all other pickup engines on the Thai market make over 200gm CO2.

Thats pickups... the X-trail is in a different class again, with both the 2.0L and 2.5L having different tax rates applied.

Of perhaps even more concern is the recent changes to the way imported parts for assembly are taxed - that has a potentially much bigger (bad) impact on prices than the new excise taxes do..

Edited by IMHO

Thanks IMHO, so the new ranger 2.2 should be 12% and the 3.2 should be 15%? Because the ranger 3.2 is 3198 cc compared to the higher threshold of 3250. That's the way i read it.

Right. No pickup in TH breaches the 3250cc rule, because the taxes would simply make it unviable.

Here's a little trivia too: back in 2007, the threshold capacity for pickups was 3000cc (the same as the rule that remains in place for cars). It was Mitsubishi who successfully lobbied for the ceiling to be raised to 3250cc to make way for their 3.2L Triton engine - which was subsequently only sold between 2008 and 2011 anyway.

The comparison between the Vigo/Revo and the lamborghini is it the kneck breaking acceleration/Filling tearing braking/too wide for the roads/gold diggers flinging themselves at you/incredible sounding exhaust note/people taking photos of you in the car in coastal resorts?biggrin.png

to the people who are siily enough to think im saying my revo is like driving a Lamborghini grow up , what i mean is its miles faster , accelerates quicker and is all round better to drive ,even compares to my old vigo champ , never mind my izuzu

the new one has a power mode button which definitely gives it loads more umph as well as a eco button too