Tourism Minister’s Phuket visit hijacked by bus, van drivers

Lite Beer

Tourism Minister’s Phuket visit hijacked by bus, van drivers
Nattha Thepbamrung

PHUKET: Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul arrived in Phuket yesterday (June 26) to hear complaints about the illegal antics in the island’s tourism industry.

But before she could enter Provincial Hall, the minister was confronted by a group of tour bus and van drivers complaining that jewellery stores were using their own employees to chauffeur their own customers.

After hearing their complaints, Minister Kobkarn finally made her way to the meeting inside the building, where she heard that the had hundreds of drivers had lost their jobs over the issue.

“About 400 to 500 buses and vans have had to stop running because Chinese tour companies and jewellery shops are working together by using the jewellery shops’ buses and vans,” said Kanlaya Rakwaree, deputy president of the Andaman Tourism Association.

“This makes it is even cheaper for them to offer transportation [to customers], and increases the profit they make from customers’ purchases.”

The cost-cutting practice of bringing transport costs “in-house” was also spreading to other businesses in the tourism sector, Ms Kanyala said.

“Chinese tour companies are doing it, and so are duty-free shops, latex shops, spas, leather shops, souvenir shops and restaurants.”

Illegal guides

Ms Kobkarn also heard that efforts were underway to arrest illegal guides working on the island.

“There are about 5,000 tour guides registered to work in Phuket. This number is enough for the whole tourism industry,” said Santi Pawai, director of the Phuket office of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

“We are rushing to track down 200 illegal foreign tour guides who are freely working now. When they get caught, they will be deported,” he warned.

Nominees

Regarding tour companies illegally using foreign nominees as shareholders, Mr Santi said that his office had so far identified 100 businesses that were suspected of breaking foreign-investment laws.

“The Department of Business Development will continue a deeper investigation into these businesses while Customs will track down for their tax payments.”

Rubber ripoffs hurting hotels

Ms Kobkarn also heard complaints from Karon hotel operators, saying that Chinese tour companies had stopped sending guests to hotels in that area because latex mattress and pillow vendors in front of many hotels were selling their products cheaper than the places where the tour companies were taking Chinese tourists to.

The issue has already attracted the attention of Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong, who earlier this month ordered the Phuket Chamber of Commerce to devise a list of set proces for standard products among rubber merchants. (See story here.)

That order came after Gov Nisit heard that Chinese tourists themselves had been verbally and physically attacking tour guides for ripping them off.

Since then, the latex shops operators have been “visited” by people claiming to be authorities and threatening to close down the businesses, Ms Kobkarn heard.

After hearing the plethora of issues currently plaguing Phuket’s tourism industry, Minister Korbkarn urged all operators to work together for the greater good of Phuket and other Andaman provinces.

“These are key destinations for the national tourism industry, and all the problems must be solved quickly,” she said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourism-minister-phuket-visit-hijacked-by-bus-van-drivers-52960.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-27

Perhaps these drivers and the companies they work for should consider lowering their rates to competitive levels, instead of Shanghaiing the public!

Too funny about the latex industry where the Governor wants price fixing. Price fixing is what's screwing up the whole island by not allowing competition. I'm surprised he doesn't tell all hotels of the same class to charge the same prices for their rooms to be "fair".

All of the "associations" need to be put to bed for the greater good of Phuket, not operators "working together" as suggested by Minister Korbkarn,

Edited by steelepulse

Well, how does this happen?

You want to bend the rules, pay a Thai and you can do it.

You want to get favour over another pay a Thai person, and you can jump any queue.

Want someone bashed or bumped off pay a Thai and it will be done.

Want your tour company to get the advantage over others even if foreign, well you know the rest.

Is it poetic justice or is it called karma that the corruption that made them greedy in the first place has now put them out of work.

And so it goes, the illegal beach vendors cried foul, the ruthless exploiters of slaves in the fishing fleets have recently cried foul over the new regs and scrutiny and now these guys.

Yes they need a democracy to fight for their democratic right to be corrupt, lawless.

“We are rushing to track down 200 illegal foreign tour guides who are freely working now."

ThaiVisa News, "Illegal foreign tour guides to be allowed to work as tour corrdinators," 2015-06-15 22:

Illegal foreign tour guides may be allowed to work legally for tour companies as tour coordinators if the plan of the Tourism Department of the Tourism and Transport Ministry is approved by the prime minister next week, a senior official said.

Promchote Traiwej, deputy director general of the Tourism Department, said his department would next week propose a measure for solving the issue of foreigners working illegally as tour guides to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
If the measure is approved by Prayut, the foreigners, who are working illegally as tour guides, can register themselves at Thai embassies and the Foreign Ministry and they would be allowed to work as tour coordinators
Ms Kobkarn should be careful about overreacting to complaints of illegal tour guides.

I will continue my 12-year boycott of Phuket. Looks like I made the right decision. thumbsup.gif

I am into my 9th year and never did I regret this decision to never put a foot on that island again

All these oh so smart " business people ' are not only extreme racists but behave like little children at the same time. As soon as there's competition or someone, and maybe even a foreigner, is smarter and cuts them out, they cry for help from Mama.

It's such a disgusting Mafia business in Phuket, that so far not even the Army could make a change to the better.

All these oh so smart " business people ' are not only extreme racists but behave like little children at the same time. As soon as there's competition or someone, and maybe even a foreigner, is smarter and cuts them out, they cry for help from Mama.

It's such a disgusting Mafia business in Phuket, that so far not even the Army could make a change to the better.

"It's such a disgusting Mafia business in Phuket, that so far not even the Army could make a change to the better." - they haven't even touched the transport problem on Phuket.

If they did, the "association" would blockade the Phuket Airport and Sarasin Bridge, and they wouldn't care what damage it would do to tourism on Phuket, despite the untold damage they have done, over recent years.

It's gone that far that it no longer can be managed, or even controlled, by the police and/or the army.

This leaves little hope for the future that the essential service of public transport will be offered, at comparable prices and styles to elsewhere in Thailand, and therefore, i can only see Phuket further becoming a cheap package holiday destination, with a focus on "transport included" promoted in the tour package.

Thailand's big tourist places are burned out. Madame has a bigger problem than she may think, listening to unhappy drivers.

Travelagents all over the world are stilling selling Phuket as a tropical paradise.

But before she could enter Provincial Hall, the minister was confronted by a group of tour bus and van drivers complaining that jewellery stores were using their own employees to chauffeur their own customers.

After hearing their complaints, Minister Kobkarn finally made her way to the meeting inside the building, where she heard that the had hundreds of drivers had lost their jobs over the issue.

Talk about entering a 'Den of Theives' wai2.gif

Still amazes me how many Tuk Tuks and minvans are in/about Patong and surrounding areas, just lined up doing nothing but taking up real estate and parking spots. Bit like countries where sheep out number people, wonder what the Tuk Tuk v Tourist tally is? Amazing Thailand! blink.png

After hearing the plethora of issues currently plaguing Phuket’s tourism industry, Minister Korbkarn urged all operators to work together for the greater good of Phuket and other Andaman provinces.

Problem solved, time to move on, next please, or, to put it another way. Sounds like problem solving, not my job, I'm the ideas guru, too hard basket move on, next please.

I will continue my 12-year boycott of Phuket. Looks like I made the right decision. thumbsup.gif

I went 18 years ago and loved it.

I now live in eastern Thailand full-time and have no desire to visit Phuket again. Friends who have recently returned from there, have decided not to return and to go out of country on their next island visits. The numerous articles high-lighting the illegal, immoral and ill thought out schemes reinforces my decision.

The greed, corruption and dual-pricing practiced there seems to have backfired in many areas such as transportation, lodging and entertainment.

Some of the local business people have a very difficult time wrapping their minds around the concept of a free market, and the way a capitalistic economy works. It is all about competition. Good on the Chinese companies for using their own vans. If they can save money by doing so, and establish more control, it sounds like a wise business decision, and one I would have made myself. You cannot expect a government to regulate a market that allows you to maintain your outdated, and ineffective business model (unless you were a rice farmer during the Yingluck years). These days, to remain profitable, businesses need to be able to think on their feet. Something these guys are very obviously incapable of. Minister, please help us. We are losing the fortunes we once made from the jewelry store and latex store scams. We cannot figure out how to make money on our own. We are not creative enough, nor capable enough. Please help. Someone, please help. We have payment on our villas and our new trucks to keep up.

I went 18 years ago and loved it.

I now live in eastern Thailand full-time and have no desire to visit Phuket again. Friends who have recently returned from there, have decided not to return and to go out of country on their next island visits. The numerous articles high-lighting the illegal, immoral and ill thought out schemes reinforces my decision.

The greed, corruption and dual-pricing practiced there seems to have backfired in many areas such as transportation, lodging and entertainment.

We are all different, I have been here in Phuket for five years, and it works for me, I love the Sea the beautiful beaches and the lifestyle...

I have always lived by the sea, so putting me in the middle of some country, would do my head in....

But like I said, it works for me, and my simple lifestyle.....

Some of the local business people have a very difficult time wrapping their minds around the concept of a free market, and the way a capitalistic economy works. It is all about competition. Good on the Chinese companies for using their own vans. If they can save money by doing so, and establish more control, it sounds like a wise business decision, and one I would have made myself. You cannot expect a government to regulate a market that allows you to maintain your outdated, and ineffective business model (unless you were a rice farmer during the Yingluck years). These days, to remain profitable, businesses need to be able to think on their feet. Something these guys are very obviously incapable of. Minister, please help us. We are losing the fortunes we once made from the jewelry store and latex store scams. We cannot figure out how to make money on our own. We are not creative enough, nor capable enough. Please help. Someone, please help. We have payment on our villas and our new trucks to keep up.

While agree with what you say in general. I'm a little doubtful as to whether the free market is in play here or whether Chinese business interests are paying a special tax to Thai business interests and/or Thai officials for the privilege.

While agree with what you say in general. I'm a little doubtful as to whether the free market is in play here or whether Chinese business interests are paying a special tax to Thai business interests and/or Thai officials for the privilege.

You may have raised a very good point. There is no doubt that the Chinese government has en exceptional degree of influence over Thai policy. Same can be said of Cambodia and Burma (where the Chinese basically own the country and the government), and many other countries worldwide. They are buying that influence with their capital, investments and financial clout. What the Chinese government asks for in this region, they pretty much get, with the possible exception of Vietnam, where they are despised at the moment, due to some very stupid policies and very aggressive and illegal behavior in the South China Sea.

This problem is only going to get bigger and bigger. The Chinese market is so big that they can and will crowd out other inbound tourism. The Russian model of "owning the entire food chain" was invented by the Chinese so local business will be forced to survive on the scraps. The Chinese will have no issues with breaking the locals rice bowl so Unfortunately that will mean it's open season on the non Chinese inbound tourists. Meaning higher prices and more rip offs for us as the locals try to maintain their earnings.

The government should get all the local business leaders, taxi and Tuk tuk association heads, local chamber of commerce heads, foreign business association heads and put them on a study tour to Hinan island in China. Tell them this is your future guys - get ready and good luck.

A troll post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

"Wait 6 months when Thailand is flooded with workers from the other 9 ASEAN countries."

Never happen. The Thai government already announced over a year ago that employment would only be eased in 8 professional categories, such as lawyer, etc and even then Asean members must pass tests here in Thailand before being allowed to work.